Thread: NES Advantage stick repair?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES Advantage stick repair?

Anybody knowledgable on these things?

Today I picked up a spare NES Advantage, and found that it isn't 100% functional. The joystick is fine, as are the start & select buttons, but I get no in game response when pressing the A & B buttons. I would guess the rubber contact pads would be worn out, but the A button LED still lights up everytime I press the button (couldn't tell you about B, seems the LED blew out). Any guesses at what might be wrong? I hate throwing out cool controllers...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Did you remove the rubber feet and take a peek inside? It's usually best to search for the simplest explanation first.

Since the other buttons are working fine, the problem probably won't be with the cord/connector because the control data is all sent on a single line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to do that later today.

It turns out I wasn't thourough enough with my initial test. The A & B buttons do respond, but you really have to jam down on them. Maybe the rubber feet are worn out, but the controller was very dirty too, so I'm hoping it's just dust accumulation. I do have a question though.

I've never taken a controller apart that has a joystick. Is the stick going to fall into a bunch of pieces when I take the pad apart? I have no idea what they look like, and how they are assembled on the inside. Are they relatively easy to put back together?

Also, do you think a place like Radio Shack might have replacement rubber feet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They're pretty simple on the inside. I wouldn't worry about parts falling out. It's probably just filthy on the inside - cleaning the buildup off of the button contact surfaces with some rubbing alcohol should bring the responsiveness back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I'm not sure about Radio Shack, but I've seen them at Home Depot. Actually, I recommend against replacing the rubber feet, but it depends on how you tend to use the Advantage. Just know that you don't have to get new ones. If you do, it might be smart to save one for asking clerks. "Do you have any of these," is a lot easier than trying to explain.

And a joystick is just a really tall D-pad (at least in this case).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, i took the thing apart and was relieved that the joystick is pretty straight forward. Man, there's alot of screws holding the circuit board to the plastic!

I have a new problem though, and it involves removing the circuit board. I just can't do it! I took the 4 screws attatching the joystick to the pad off, and then I took the 6 screws holding the circuit board to the plastic out, but the thing is still gripped securely in place!

I have a hunch that it has something to do with the rapid fire dials, as they seem to be whats holding the thing in place still. I tried using force to pull it off, but to no avail. I'm afraid I will crack the circuit board in half if I apply any more force. Any ideas?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's been years since I've taken an advantage apart - wish I could remember better...

On most controllers / consoles with rotary knobs, they have to be removed for disassembly. If so, they should pull straight up and off. Make sure there aren't any little plastic tabs locking the circuit board in place, too.

Strawberry (Level 2) heyricochet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You are correct sir, it is the rapid fire dials that are holding it on. The dials have no clips or anything, just pull and they'll come right off and so will the circuit board.(Make sure you don't drop it.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^ Thank you! So they just pull right off eh? Now I know what I must do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

* Update *

Alrighty, I took the stick apart with no problems, scrubbed the contact side of the rubber feet & everything else free of dust, and reassembled. Works like new!

For future reference, incase others look into repairing an NES Advantage stick. The rapid dial buttons pull off. Sure, you might need to pull with a bit of force since they've been settling in their position for almost 20 years, but you wont break anything! Also, underneath each dial is a small, 6 sided nut on top of a washer. I tried using a tourqe wrench to take them off, but my smallest fitting was too big. Nevertheless, a pair of needle nose plyers will work just fine. Once those are off (along with all the screws holding the board in place), the circuit board will finally come off nice and clean.