Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: panesians heating up?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default panesians heating up?

Hmm, panesians heating up? Would probably be about time as they've been stagnant while other NES titles have gone up... surprised to see 500 cart only though. I know one sale doesn't make a market, but between the 2-3 requests for them on here lately and then this sale, I'm starting to wonder if they might be on the move somewhat....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Btw, I'm assuming the pal corvette game is pretty much worthless? (I have no idea)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Hmm I was thinking they were going to finally cool off. Quite overpriced at the moment in my opinion.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OVERpriced? But we're talking 8 bit boobies!

Seriously though, I agree in the grand scheme of things they're overpriced but they had been down to around 250 loose/ 400 complete lately, from the auctions I recall, anyway, which is less than what I remember them getting a couple years ago 300/500.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

I think they belong in the 200-300 for a complete copy range and 75-100 for a loose copy. Even thats high as you can buy a sealed gold zelda or 2 sealed Final fantasys for that much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That price is insane for an 8-bit NES game. Well...there is always someone willing to pay insane prices.

The Best Fighter in HISTORY!!!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, based strictly on rarity I'd agree with you, but there's a definite kitsch/notoriety appeal to them that makes them more interesting than your average r8 IMO. (Did I mention 8 bit boobies??).

As an aside, I'd say the sealed comparison is really apples and oranges - it's a whole different market IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The reason the carts are heating up is because of the way they can heat up a lonely gamer.
    Wanted and willing to fairly pay for:
    Final Fantasy III Hat/Cap (Official Squaresoft)
    Philips CDI 740
    NTSC Proto of Daze Before Christmas (SNES)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

There is some interest for boobies generated here. Still at this price it's at the top of the list of all NES games with only a few sealed games selling above it.

As a comic collector I'm sure you are familiar with Phantom Lady which has the same type of appeal yet even the 2 SOTI issues can't compete with the key superhero issues of the day. Very hot issues for many years they slowed down quite a bit while comics like Batman and Superman rose to astronomical levels.

I guess NES collectors are still too young and in the "OHHH Boobies" stage of life. Atari 2600 Custers Revenge used to sell for hundreds at one time too. These 3 games are just overpriced when you compare what else you can buy for the same $

Well, based strictly on rarity I'd agree with you, but there's a definite kitsch/notoriety appeal to them that makes them more interesting than your average r8 IMO. (Did I mention 8 bit boobies??).

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting! So Custer's used to be worth hundreds, eh? I had no idea as the NES is the earliest platform I collect for. When did the price bottom out, and was it just a decline in interest or was there a large find brought to market?

Also, I wouldn't say they are at the top of the NES heap as a complete SE or myriad would sell for more than a complete panesian IMO but I definitely know what you're saying. I think part of the reason is that they are near the top, however, is that there are really very few NES r8's and r9's that are very interesting. I mean, cheetahmen 2? Whoopdy frickin' do - not exactly an interesting title. Same pretty much goes for myriad, caltron, maxi 15, etc. Generally pretty lame ass games except for the rarity factor. At least the panesians are rare and are somewhat (I use the term loosely) interesting too.

Am I correct in thinking custer's, etc. are roughly r5-6? Is x-man (r9?) a better comparison point? (I know nothing about atari, just throwing out a guess).

I know what you're saying about phantom lady, although never deny Perv appeal! PL 17 is still worth a ton of money. I guess it's true that the series has lost some ground over time compared to superhero stuff, but what hasn't? Barks ducks and ECs have pretty much dropped off the map compared to the values of superhero titles over the years, despite being excellent books with lots of appeal. Basically it's the adolescent power fantasy stuff (superheros/rpgs) that seems to do well (in relative terms) over time, as sick as it makes me :/ I'd say the "other" kind of fantasy that PLs and panesians cater to is a respectable second or third

cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think somebody just buckled down and bought it. Wasn't that the same one that was relisted like a million times at lower and lower prices?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure... I haven't been following it that closely (may have missed stuff); just going by the few I've seen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

That Bubble Bath Babes cart was listed at over 500 for almost a month - he finally sold it after including that corvette game. I don't think they're worth anywhere near that much, but it's all about supply and demand. People have been asking for them quite a bit lately on here I've noticed, so of course the price will go up and down

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Custers was big money when the guys first started collecting Atari but I guess a batch of NOS was found. I'm sure that did contribute the fall in price. However note that it fell to $50 and has stayed there at a very level price for almost 10 years.

I guess a better example would be a title like Xman which sells for about the same price as it did back in 97. While other titles of equal rarity have doubled or more. Now I'm talking complete copies. Many loose carts have fallen in price while the complete versions can sell for 5x as much as they did in the mid 90's.

Btw
    This http://www.atariguide.com/AtariAuctionPrices.txt was a on-going database of sold prices for loose Atari games. I thought you might get a kick out of it. Last updated in 98.

Some items have gone down
    Demolition Herby Telesys ER $82.20

and some have gone up
    Eli's Ladder Simage UR $251.00
    Video Life Comavid UR $260.00

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw that list once already, believe it or not (I'm def. surprised if you're aren't). At the time I was just beginning to collect video games and saw the list but figured it wasn't worth paying much attention to as I saw a loose eli's ladder go for 1,002 or 4x list price. I only paid attention for about a week though. Eli's is still worth that kind of money then? (i.e. a grand), or was that a fluke?

Not surprised to hear that better conditioned examples went up from their 90s levels though, I think that's the trend in pretty much every hobby over time.

cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

I saw that list once already, believe it or not (I'm def. surprised if you're aren't). At the time I was just beginning to collect video games and saw the list but figured it wasn't worth paying much attention to as I saw a loose eli's ladder go for 1,002 or 4x list price. I only paid attention for about a week though. Eli's is still worth that kind of money then? (i.e. a grand), or was that a fluke?
    Eli's is no fluke. I recently (this summer) sold a loose copy for well over the 1000 mark though I'm not at liberty to say exactly how much over.

Not surprised to hear that better conditioned examples went up from their 90s levels though, I think that's the trend in pretty much every hobby over time.
    I remember when boxed games would sell for 10% more than the loose copy. Chuckwagon would get 300 or more loose and now you're lucky to sell one for 60 bucks. Yet now a complete copy would sell for 600+

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a pretty wild swing in price on chuckwagon.

I came across this today on my hard drive while looking for something else, so I thought I would share since we've been talking about panesians. One of the pride and joys of my sealed collection - you'll see loose and complete copies, but this is truly tough factory sealed - I've never seen / heard of another sealed panesian.

cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow is that yours bronty 2????? that sealed hot slots??? if it is ppease inform me of the story of how you obtained that awesome item. lmk thanks!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it's mine. Ebay. Had to resort to getting the auction ended early. Might have won the auction anyway - not sure. Paid 800.

The seller bought it in the early 90s from a video store in Hawaii.

The cool thing about the price tag on that game is that it's dated - see top of tag - "10 1991" (oct. 91).

cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow i never saw a sealed one before man,congrats on that one.

The seller bought it in the early 90s from a video store in Hawaii.
    Friggin unbeleivable almost,Hawaii of all places.