Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: RUMOUR: PS3 to not play USED GAMES?!? (Offically Denied)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hal-ay-lu-yah. Amen brother.
    Not that it would matter, considering that's coming from the infamous troll njiska

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Nintendough"

Haw Haw

This thread is teh suxorz
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Xizer
    Hal-ay-lu-yah. Amen brother.
    Not that it would matter, considering that's coming from the infamous troll njiska
    Funny, I look around here and you're the only troll I see. You need to knock it off. Your biased, bile-filled drivel has no place on this forum. You can speak an opinion, sure, but going into every possible thread to do so is considered trolling, especially when you know what you're saying is going to rile up other forum members.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Use of this technology for games or for movies has not a chance of being successful. I doubt they would sell a single blu-ray device that had this not to mention Blockbuster would go ballistic.
    Wanted and willing to fairly pay for:
    Final Fantasy III Hat/Cap (Official Squaresoft)
    Philips CDI 740
    NTSC Proto of Daze Before Christmas (SNES)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Actually - This isn't that far-fetched really.

If you are following the current debate and information regarding HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, one of the "features" planned for Sony's Blu-Ray disc(which the PS3 will use) is exactly what the article states. IE: A Disc and Machine will become "married" so to speak.

The chances of this feature being used on games is very slim, but it will be up to the manufacturer to enable it or not. The technology is there. For upcoming movies however - Well that's an entirely different story. Keep in mind that the main stated reason for 20th Century Fox supporting the Blu-Ray standard was the increased copy protection measures.

In any case: This is a very real possibility at some point in the future. There is already a huge debate about it amongst the various media companies(With Movie Studio's being for it, and Microsoft, Intel, and computer based companies wanting ways around it.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

as Jibbajaba said, Not gonna happen.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

That's got to be a record you derailed my thread in 6 minutes.

Infamous troll. Ha that's good for a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0
    I have to agree with jibba jabba. Major lawsuit opporunity, not to mention modders/hackers would have their way around it eventually.
    Good point. Although that didn't stop Sony from implementing it's new DRM and let's not forget that there's a strong possiblity that Blu-Ray will only work with TV's that have received Sony's blessing. That alone should tempt a lawsuit. Really who knows.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It WOULD be good for a laugh. People who buy systems and then proceed to figure out the cheapest way to be a "gamer" amaze me. They buy the system but can't afford to support it.

There WAS a time when Microsoft was going to have a "no rental policy" on Xbox games to avert piracy, just as they do on their PC stuff.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

I remember hearing a similar rumor before the PSP came out.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nemesis223
    PSN
    Nemesis2233

That would be suicide for SONY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Let's try and stay on topic, kids.

That article has two parts -- the fact (the patent) and then their assumption of what it means which leads to the rumor. The fact (the patent) is much more interesting. After reading it, I believe (I may be wrong) that what the quoted portion means by "user" is companies attempting to duplicate disks, and I believe the part that reads "resale (so-called used software purchase" refers to people buying used disks in order to duplicate them.

Under "Field of the Invention" it reads "The present invention relates to a disk recording medium, a reproduction device, and a reproduction method, whereby a legitimate recording medium can be protected from the used recording medium market by the structure of the disk recording medium such as a CD-ROM and a main unit (reproduction device) in which this recording medium is installed." So I believe the patent is intended to prevent unauthorized duplication factories from duplicating ps3 discs, even if they buy a copy of a master. It also mentions "the resale of disk recording media already purchased by the end-user, i.e., the purchase of the used software, occurs as well as the manufacture of so-called counterfeit software in which the recorded data is illegally copied."

You cool guys using $'s for S's and bashing consoles should take the five minutes and read the patent.

What it's actually saying is that PS3 games will have "moving target security" (coined by me) which will make piracy very, very difficult. Mod chips as we know them will not work on this technology.

Under Background, "Summary of the Product" (section 2) you get your first glimpse of the next generation copy protection. Pulsa Data, bar codes, digital signals, serco error signals, rotational control programs and variable drive speeds, and more. These are all things that have to be done when you are burning the disks (ie: one game might have to be burned at a certain speed. Another one might have to be burned and then stopped while burning, or paused, etc, making duplication of a game on a standard DVD burner impossible.)

In other words, Sony doesn't plan on taking any $hit from hackers and pirates this round. Round One.

EDIT: "legitimate software protection can be performed in three layers, the presence or absence of specific code registration, the matching or non-matching of pulse data and verification data, and the matching or non-matching at rotational speeds in multiple stages. "

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Let's try and stay on topic, kids.

That article has two parts -- the fact (the patent) and then their assumption of what it means which leads to the rumor. The fact (the patent) is much more interesting. After reading it, I believe (I may be wrong) that what the quoted portion means by "user" is companies attempting to duplicate disks, and I believe the part that reads "resale (so-called used software purchase" refers to people buying used disks in order to duplicate them.

Under "Field of the Invention" it reads "The present invention relates to a disk recording medium, a reproduction device, and a reproduction method, whereby a legitimate recording medium can be protected from the used recording medium market by the structure of the disk recording medium such as a CD-ROM and a main unit (reproduction device) in which this recording medium is installed." So I believe the patent is intended to prevent unauthorized duplication factories from duplicating ps3 discs, even if they buy a copy of a master. It also mentions "the resale of disk recording media already purchased by the end-user, i.e., the purchase of the used software, occurs as well as the manufacture of so-called counterfeit software in which the recorded data is illegally copied."

You cool guys using $'s for S's and bashing consoles should take the five minutes and read the patent.

What it's actually saying is that PS3 games will have "moving target security" (coined by me) which will make piracy very, very difficult. Mod chips as we know them will not work on this technology.

Under Background, "Summary of the Product" (section 2) you get your first glimpse of the next generation copy protection. Pulsa Data, bar codes, digital signals, serco error signals, rotational control programs and variable drive speeds, and more. These are all things that have to be done when you are burning the disks (ie: one game might have to be burned at a certain speed. Another one might have to be burned and then stopped while burning, or paused, etc, making duplication of a game on a standard DVD burner impossible.)

In other words, Sony doesn't plan on taking any $hit from hackers and pirates this round. Round One.

EDIT: "legitimate software protection can be performed in three layers, the presence or absence of specific code registration, the matching or non-matching of pulse data and verification data, and the matching or non-matching at rotational speeds in multiple stages. "
    Well said Flack, well said.

I admit that i didn't have time to read the patent in it's entirety as i was posting at work at the time by based on the abstract at the top of the patent i was assuming it would be using some unique code in the disc to bind that disc to the hardware that read it. Hence registering.

However i figured Sony would have just used the old phone home tactic to keep it bound to that player alone. Similar to how Valve binds HL2 keys to a parent Steam ACCT which would straight out prevent the use of used software/movies without Sony's blessing on any machine other then the primary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

before the PS2 came out, they said it would be impossible to hack, the PS3 will eventually be hacked as well

and after the rootkit fiasco directly from sony, and the relative success of steam on HalfLife 2, this is business model all publishers really want, they want to own their content post purchase

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EricRyan34
    That would be suicide for SONY
    agreed but on the plus side, if they do it in about a yearthe PS3 would be an awsome cheap computer

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Wait what? how is it even possiable for it to know whats used? it dosen't even make sense. you have to open the game to use it.

Wait, the more I'm thinking about this the more I think I understand.

this would be something for the PS3 games not PS2. so somehow the ps3 has a list of games that were run on that serial #'d ps3 so that it's registered to only that ps3.

so when you try to run that same game on a diffrent ps3 it looks at the list (which I assume is done through the internet connection) and notes that it was already registered to a diffrent machine there fore not running it.

sorry for the self explaintion lol But that would be nothing short of stupid if sony implements this. this most certianly would cross PS3 on my list of systems to buy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damion
    Wait what? how is it even possiable for it to know whats used? it dosen't even make sense. you have to open the game to use it.

this would be something for the PS3 games not PS2. so somehow the ps3 has a list of games that were run on that serial #'d ps3 so that it's registered to only that ps3.

so when you try to run that same game on a diffrent ps3 it looks at the list (which I assume is done through the internet connection) and notes that it was already registered to a diffrent machine there fore not running it.

sorry for the self explaintion lol But that would be nothing short of stupid if sony implements this. this most certianly would cross PS3 on my list of systems to buy.
    This would require an internet connection to work. I sort of assumed that when a new disk is placed in the system, the PS3 would burn is serial number into the disk. Whenever the game boots, it would check the serial number burned on the disk to the serial number of the system and it wouldn't boot if the two didn't match. Of course, thats just a first impression.

Cherry (Level 1) starchildskiss78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Boy
    Dont quite understand, if you play a game once doesnt this mean its been used? so if you take it out of your console and put it back in (now a used game) it aint gonna work? Or what if your console breaks and you get a new one, will games not work then, coz they would have been first used on that one console???

Can some one please explain how this would be true in any sense?
    Well, from what I gather it I think it would be a lot like how PSO had to be played on your Dreamcast and your Dreamcast only because of the way you used the registration code.

As for thinking for one minute Sony would do something as crazy as that...I wouldn't believe that even for a second.
    My webcomic about three kitties and their humans. Touches on different subject matter (including video games) and updates every Sunday and Wednesday. (The kitties demand you read it!)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you get your first glimpse of the next generation copy protection. Pulsa Data, bar codes, digital signals, serco error signals, rotational control programs and variable drive speeds, and more.
    WOW that explains why the system cost so much!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

Quote Originally Posted by Slimedog
    Quote Originally Posted by Damion

This would require an internet connection to work. I sort of assumed that when a new disk is placed in the system, the PS3 would burn is serial number into the disk. Whenever the game boots, it would check the serial number burned on the disk to the serial number of the system and it wouldn't boot if the two didn't match. Of course, thats ju

1st a first impression.
    Ah that makes much more sense.

Man if they pull that I won't buy it. I don't care what comes out for it. I guess I'll just have to miss out on the new armored cores and katamari's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Lt Sans Pants

It's so funny that rumors like this even get started, let alone that people buy into them.

It works like this, the major game chains, EB, Gamestop, Game Crazy, Game Rush, etc... would stop carrying Sony products. Period.

A majority of their revenue stems from the sale of used software. Ever wonder why they push you to buy the used copy of Starsky and Hutch they're sitting on rather than the new one that's been there forever and will never sell? Because they only paid $1.20 for the used game and $16 for the new one. $15-$1.20 = $13.80 profit $20-$16=$4 profit Suddenly they're making no money on Sony products. What's the sense of carrying the new products at all for such a minimal profit margin whey they could put more XB360, Revolution, DS, etc... games in the same space with a HUGE markup.

Sony is cocky but not stupid. This technology is not going to be implemented, at least for the software side, of PS3. Blu-ray movies? Perhaps... probably not.
    TooManyGames
    "Let us play!"
    www.toomanygames.com