Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: RUMOUR: PS3 to not play USED GAMES?!? (Offically Denied)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Okay, Sony has now denied this rumor as well. Source.

Is there a group out there spreading rumors about Sony?
    these are the direct quotes from sony

PlayStation 3 software will not be copy protected to a single machine but will be playable on any PlayStation 3 console.

there has been no official comment on this since the story that came up a few months ago - it hasn't changed since then, and we're quite surprised by why this has popped up again, to be honest
    that is only a denial of hardware lockout, not bullying a retailer to not sell used games... which is the new rumor

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure why we are all worrying about this thing anyway, cause there is no way this shit will happen. Eventually games will be download only, and that is how they will get things on there side, but they know they have to gradually introduce that. You have to slowly but surely introduce that, otherwise, EB, GameStop, GameCrazy and all the others will do everything in their power to back your primary competitor.

I fully expect that late in the Xbox 360's lifetime, you will be able to download full versions of 360 games, for a reduced price, but it won't be 100 percent of all available games. For example, if 15 games are released in a given month, maybe 7 or 8 of them will be available for download for like a $35 fee, or you can buy the actual retail disc for $49.99. Some consumers could care less about the physical thing, and will prefer to save a little money, but others will prefer the physical thing. It's going to be a slow death for GameStop and EB and GameCrazy. In fact, things will just barely get started in that direction towards the end of the PS3, 360 and Wii generation. And then in the following generation of systems, it will move much more in that direction, but I'm guessing that EB and GameStop and GameCrazy will still survive, but when we are talking about the generation following that, in about 16 years, there will be NO PHYSICAL MEDIA. It's at this point that the First Party and Publishers will get their way in terms of used game sales and all that.

EB, GameStop and GameCrazy have about 15 to 17 years left of existence. That's a long time, but then again, time flies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    EB, GameStop and GameCrazy have about 15 to 17 years left of existence. That's a long time, but then again, time flies.
    Hey, Future-man...if its not too much problem, could you tell me who wins the next 15 Superbowls? Thanks in advance.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm

Hey, Future-man...if its not too much problem, could you tell me who wins the next 15 Superbowls? Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, that is much harder to predict.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a logical prediction, but a lot can change in a year.. let alone 17.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    That is only a denial of hardware lockout, not bullying a retailer to not sell used games... which is the new rumor
    As you wish, but the article states that the Sony reps denied that specific rumor. My prediction: Used games will be happening on the PS3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    I'm not sure why we are all worrying about this thing anyway, cause there is no way this shit will happen. Eventually games will be download only, and that is how they will get things on there side, but they know they have to gradually introduce that. You have to slowly but surely introduce that, otherwise, EB, GameStop, GameCrazy and all the others will do everything in their power to back your primary competitor.

I fully expect that late in the Xbox 360's lifetime, you will be able to download full versions of 360 games, for a reduced price, but it won't be 100 percent of all available games. For example, if 15 games are released in a given month, maybe 7 or 8 of them will be available for download for like a $35 fee, or you can buy the actual retail disc for $49.99. Some consumers could care less about the physical thing, and will prefer to save a little money, but others will prefer the physical thing. It's going to be a slow death for GameStop and EB and GameCrazy. In fact, things will just barely get started in that direction towards the end of the PS3, 360 and Wii generation. And then in the following generation of systems, it will move much more in that direction, but I'm guessing that EB and GameStop and GameCrazy will still survive, but when we are talking about the generation following that, in about 16 years, there will be NO PHYSICAL MEDIA. It's at this point that the First Party and Publishers will get their way in terms of used game sales and all that.
    I had a discussion with a colleauge about this. It goes beyond video games. Music is already downloaded for a nominal fee. For movies, there is on demand cable. Eventually games could head on this front. heck Sega did it with the Sega Channel and Wii is offering a masive collection for download. I don't favor this single serving disposible trend but technology just seems to be heading there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    My prediction: Used games will be happening on the PS3.
    My predition: Same as Ed's.

Although I sway either way cause it's their choice on how to distribute and control it, since they did come out claiming it's a rumor, I'll now stick with that until launch or if they change their statement. Either way, since I still don't play on getting a Xbox360 or PS3 til fall '07 at the earliest there's plenty of time to find out what's up with the data discs and the titles that got launched on each.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So IF this used game protection were to actually be used, how exactly would they go about it? The easiest way would be a key printed on the instructinon manual and online registration. But not everyone is online. Forcing people to call it in would be a way around that.

If the Blu-ray games comes in plastic shells like the UMDs, there could be a small chip or magnetic strip in the plastic and the PS3 unit writes it's ID to it, preventing other PS3 units from playing the game. Maybe the PS3 will claim a disc by actually writing on it, in a predesignated spot.

Not allowing used games would be a pretty big blow to the system, however. There are plenty of parents that treat their kids with $5-10 games from the used bins. People that bought a game and didn't like it, looking to sell for some credit on another game or cash.
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.