Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox 360 a waste of money?

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Xbox 360 a waste of money?

You know i was thinking,the 360 is going to be a great console,with various titles and some kick ass graphics. But then the price $399.99 for the system plus $59.99 for each game.So about $450.00 without taxes. Think about it $450.00 can buy a whole hell of a lot of video games,old systems,even a cheap computer. Now i do want the 360 becuause it is a game system,but im thinking about waiting. Anyone feel the same as me and see that sted of buying the 360,why not more video games or older consoles?
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Because.

Seriously that's the only excuse i can think of. I'm droping a grand on Nov. 22nd and i know that's money better spent elseware, but damned if i still don't think that 360 is a worthy purchase. Guess there's just something about beautiful HD games and DOA4 on live that allows me to justify the expense.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Everyone places worth/monetary justification on things, and spends their money accordingly. I went nuts like njiska and spent a lot on the PS2 launch.

I thought about getting some games over a 360, but I figured that those games would drop in price faster than the 360 and it's software, so I might as well get it now and save money on the other games later on.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Psh. Lame man. Yea it's a waste of money. There is so much more you can do with that money than waste it on that mess. And If you want a 360, just wait a little while when the thing isn't outragous.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll be waiting. Especially because I never had any real desire to get an Xbox, so I'll be waiting to see a lineup of games I HAVE to play. Sadly, there aren't any in the launch lineup.
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default For some, it is bragging rights

For some it is bragging rights. Playing a console when it first comes out is a great experience. I was the first one on my block to own a Genesis. I bought it the day it came out. The experience of playing a system from day one is great. I frankly was going to wait, but I won one in the Pepsi promo. $500 is alot of dough to blow on a new toy, but it is worth it for many people to be the one on the block, the one whose house has one first, the one in which everyone piles in cars and crashes on the couch to game on through the night.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought only one system at launch, and that was a PS1 (yes, the gray one), a third party controller, and Street Fighter: The movie. The total price? About $450. Of course, I was a little kid then and my dad paid for it. But that was a hella lot of money. And from that day forth, I learned to wait for systems to come out. I mean, I waited for years, and I was able to snag the Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox for a decent price. My two cents, anyways.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never gotten a system at launch before, because I was always a kid. My parents would never fork over huge bucks for me to get a system at a launch. So I guess this is me becoming a kid, all over again. Well, if you consider 19 above the age of "kid"

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was thinking about getting a 360 on launch day but i'm pretty sure i'd rather spend a bunch of money on Turbo Duo games instead. Hopefully someone will hook me up with a 360 for christmas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to many games of this gen that I have yet to play own find. I'll have a Xbox 360 in about 2-3 years.

For now my moneys going toward finishing my DC collection and my AES addiction.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Worth is *ENTIRELY* in the eyes of the beholder. For those that buy one (even on Ebay jacked up to $800+), if they have fun with it, and are satisfied, then hell yeah it's worth it. Of course, some could have one given to them and not have any fun, in which case it's obviously not worth it.

I'm personally on the fence, as there aren't many console games that interest me, and I prefer PC Rpgs and FPS. What does that have to do with anything? Well, not much, just saying that everyone is different.

For entertainment value, objectivity is impossible to generalize. There are virtually limitless variables, and most of them oblique and intangible.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This college student is waiting.
    Then Morgoth hurled aloft Grond, the Hammer of the Underworld, and swung it down like a bolt of thunder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's only a waste if your trying to be Mr. Bling on the block, otherwise? If you want it? buy it.

I can afford it, but I'm holding off to see what software comes out down the road, but that's just me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Lt Sans Pants

Halo was the reason I (eventually) bought a XBox. Actually, Halo 2 is what really wrapped it up in stone. Bunch of regulars at the game store got me hooked on Halo 1 like 3 months before H2 came out. So I had to get an XBox (luckily a Halo edition XB fell into my lap at the same price a a regular XB).

Long story short, I'm waiting for Halo 3. 8*)
    TooManyGames
    "Let us play!"
    www.toomanygames.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, i'm gonna have to wait for a price drop. I bought my xbox months and months ago, and have only played it long enough to beat one game.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alm0stfinished
    yeah, i'm gonna have to wait for a price drop. I bought my xbox months and months ago, and have only played it long enough to beat one game.
    lol I hear you there. Mine collected dust for a long time, then I tried to play a DVD on it, couldn't, and just decided to sell it while it was still worth something Thankfully I've heard the new 360 doesn't require some retarded $20 kit just to play a DVD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally can't justify spending $400 on a console that will only do part of what they promised, or $300 for a console that won't do anything they promised.

Given how terribly little I play my Xbox, I'll wait until the premium bundle drops to around $100...or until Steel Battalion 3 comes out

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sisko
    I personally can't justify spending $400 on a console that will only do part of what they promised, or $300 for a console that won't do anything they promised.

Given how terribly little I play my Xbox, I'll wait until the premium bundle drops to around $100...or until Steel Battalion 3 comes out
    That's totally fair, and I'm with you there, but there probably be hundreds of thousands of very happy customers for x360 this season In the end, if it's fun and you're satisfied, it's worth it. Otherwise, no.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd
    I was thinking about getting a 360 on launch day but i'm pretty sure i'd rather spend a bunch of money on Turbo Duo games instead. Hopefully someone will hook me up with a 360 for christmas.
    Now this hits it on the head, holidays and birthdays. The great equalizers. I was not going to get a xbox 360. I have a ton of consoles and games to play as is. Here is the catch. My better half is getting it for me for Christmas. I said no at first. She said she was losing her mind trying to get me stuff, so there it is, arguement over. New XBOX 360. I would rather try to acquire some things I have avoided for a long time now. I am torn about it, but I'll get over it I'm sure

They better release House of the Dead 4 on the system (she loves that series)!

P.S. She is keeping it till Christmas though! GAHHHHH!
    I am working on this one. I foresee a tactical strike
    a la Splinter Cell. I think a rogue may liberate the
    XBOX 360 from its captor and free it of its box
    and prohibitive wrappings. Me and Snake, in the
    wild. She better keep it at our place, or I may have
    more resolutions for the new year and I hear the lord
    frowns on burglary. If I have a key to her moms
    technically its not burglary though because I have
    privilege to be there. Yeah, that's it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mianrtcv
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd
    Now this hits it on the head, holidays and birthdays. The great equalizers. I was not going to get a xbox 360. I have a ton of consoles and games to play as is. Here is the catch. My better half is getting it for me for Christmas. I said no at first. She said she was losing her mind trying to get me stuff, so there it is, arguement over. New XBOX 360. I would rather try to acquire some things I have avoided for a long time now. I am torn about it, but I'll get over it I'm sure

They better release House of the Dead 4 on the system (she loves that series)!

P.S. She is keeping it till Christmas though! GAHHHHH!
    I am working on this one. I foresee a tactical strike
    a la Splinter Cell. I think a rogue may liberate the
    XBOX 360 from its captor and free it of its box
    and prohibitive wrappings. Me and Snake, in the
    wild. She better keep it at our place, or I may have
    more resolutions for the new year and I hear the lord
    frowns on burglary. If I have a key to her moms
    technically its not burglary though because I have
    privilege to be there. Yeah, that's it.
    Get this man some weed and valium, stat!

Heh, give us the lo-down on what happens with this situation of yours!