Thread: Feel the pain!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Feel the pain!

I was at work last night when my boss told me that she had just ditched a Mega Drive and two shoe box's full of games into her wheelie bin! I was seriously shocked! I told her that I would've gladly taken them off her hands. You just don't go around ditching stuff liek taht, rare or otherwise. It's still worth something to someone. Certainly not wheelie bin fodder!

I then swore never to talk to her again until she had rooted through her bin to retrieve the goodies. Although, she was sure the bin men came that day. so hances are they wer elost forever. Stupid thing is, she knew fine well that I was a gamer and collector and dealt in games Etc, and would've been able to offer them a good home!

Pained me I can tell you! I was seriously gutted when she told me what she had done! Hopefully, she has gone home tonight to rescue the gear, and all will turn out alright, but I fear the worst!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

not that this helps any, think of the chance she had some R7's in there.
    Also, if you were that desperate are you allowed to go slumming at the dumpsite? We americans generate a heaping of trash daily. I went to NYC once, I have never seen so much garbage waiting for pickup in my entire suburb life.

I've also heard of people donating plasma to buy games. That's desperate!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No, I told her that chances are she has at least one item in that lot that's worth at least a tenner... I said she could've easially gotten a tenner for it at a car boot, and that's even if she didn't have any rares!

What makes things worse is that she also told me she has previously gotten rid of an N64 AND a PSone PLUS GAMES in teh same manner... She has even known for years that I am into games and deal in this sort of stuff... She even comes up to me to ask me advice on all the latest consoles for her son and all which is what I find weird more than anything!

I sinceerly hope she manages to rescue the Mega Drive from the trash and gives it to me. Even if it's just 30 of the most common games, it'll still be a nice aquisition. Still better than chucking it in the bin for the trash man to root through!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's the kind of thing that makes me really sad. Jesus. And to think that this kind of thing is pretty common. And here's the issue:

Think about in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, and some of the 70's, people thought comics were garbage-can-fodder. They just tossed them. Then, suddenly, they become collectable, and valuble and now, BAM!, we have to pay out the ass for older comics (even ones that are falling apart). I know some are genuinely rare but I know this sort of general disregard contributed to the rarity of certain comics.

I think this same situation may apply to classic videogames.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, what a pity... Why did she she do that anyways? And tell you she dumped it after?

Speaking of car boots, whats the likelyhood of finding retro stuff there? I'm thinking of going to one this weekend, since the last time i went to a car boot (or one of those weekend markets for that matter) was way before i became a videogame collector.