Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Final Fantasy VI "Opera Scene"...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Final Fantasy VI "Opera Scene"...

I give up. I hear so much about it. Where can I see it? The one from the SNES version of the game. I've tried Google, but didnt find anything close. Just a crappy 3D rendered version "from the PlayStation version of FFVI". I want to see the SNES one without having to play through the game.

Any help?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let me see if I can record it right quick.

On a sidenote, I recorded the ending a while back, but the quality isn't the best. If you want that to hold you off, lemme know and I'll upload it in the meantime.

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

This is interesting. I actually have 2 dvd's of video game footage I made for some people and as a display for a store. I put many rare games on there so people could see them (like Zenki on the PC-FX, Dracula X on the PC-E, etc) but also memorable moments from certain games....and one of them being the whole opera scene from FF III/VI!. Only problem is I have no way to upload it

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

What have you heard about it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx
    Let me see if I can record it right quick.

On a sidenote, I recorded the ending a while back, but the quality isn't the best. If you want that to hold you off, lemme know and I'll upload it in the meantime.
    Whichever's easiest for you.

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPolicenaut
    This is interesting. I actually have 2 dvd's of video game footage I made for some people and as a display for a store. I put many rare games on there so people could see them (like Zenki on the PC-FX, Dracula X on the PC-E, etc) but also memorable moments from certain games....and one of them being the whole opera scene from FF III/VI!. Only problem is I have no way to upload it
    I wish I knew how to set up a secondary FTP account on my host because I have a few Gigs left and about 75 times as much bandwidth per month than I used all year. How big is the file?

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    What have you heard about it?
    That it's some sort of a big deal. Synthesized "voice" "singing", I dunno. I just want to see what all the hub-bub's about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I don't know what people would say that could make you want to see it without playing the game. I never saw anything special about it, although it's somewhat amusing based on the choices and decisions you make... I suppose a video of the scene would kind of ruin it :/

And the "singing" is just some notes, nothing resembling anything like a voice or words. Not even Street Fighter II Championship Edition for Genesis voice :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's why I put "singing" and "voice" in quotes. Because it's supposed to simulate a voice singing. I know it's not real. But I'd really like to see it so I can forget all about it and move onto something else I have to see eventually... the bath tub scene in Eternal Darkness. (Don't you dare ruin that for me please. I think I'll actually play through to this one.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    That's why I put "singing" and "voice" in quotes. Because it's supposed to simulate a voice singing. I know it's not real. But I'd really like to see it so I can forget all about it and move onto something else I have to see eventually... the bath tub scene in Eternal Darkness. (Don't you dare ruin that for me please. I think I'll actually play through to this one.)
    Well that's like 10 minutes into the game, don't have to get very far to see it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you haven't played FF3, you're missing out. Almost everyone agrees that it's a worthwhile experience. If you want to understand the fuss about the opera scene, I'd recommend against just viewing a video of it since you won't have any connection with the characters. I don't think it would seem very interesting out of context, but as part of the overall experience of the game it was definitely one of the highlights. Just play the game. A GBA version is supposed to be released eventually.. I hope that lots of people that missed it the first time around will give it a try.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a feeling you might be getting too hyped up and might be disappointed. Maybe not.

But the Opera House scene from FF6 is just one of those things that really, really stands out. It might not seem as impressive NOW, but at the time, I don't think anything had succeeded so well, from a musical standpoint, in a video game. It really pushed the limits of the SNES in terms of sound capability, at a time when video game music was treated as a sideshow.

The atmosphere was pretty great too. The way the story interwove seemlessly with the opera going on at the same time was cool. And it was something uplifting and original set in the middle of an RPG with a rather downtrodden plot.

But yeah, don't expect fireworks. It's just one of those things some people have learned to appreciate.

And now I've gone and overhyped it too. Oops.

Well, it looks like roush is working on recording it. If it's an emulator recording, the filesize should be very small, although you'd need the emulator and the rom to play it that way. If it's an actual media format, of course it'll be a lot bigger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it's only 10 minutes in, why am I led to believe it's like the end of the game? Sheesh. I can play for 10 minutes. In fact, I have Anthology loaded right now.

If by 3, you mean VI on the Anthology?

Also, I could seriously do without these dated crappy 3D videos. This is supposed to be a SNES game.

Call off the recordings.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's quite a few hours in.

You have to get past Zozo in fact.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

x_x

Maybe I should just play through this damn game.. I might enjoy it. (And it'll keep me busy until next week when a real RPG, Dragon Quest VIII comes out.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ugh, recording this is a pain in the ass since I haven't played the game in so long. I'll have to cheat and give myself some stupidly overpowered stats to compensate for my inability to play this anymore, heh.

Anyway, I'm out of time and I forgot how long this scene was (not just the short singing segment that most people remember, but the entire opera scene), so here's a savestate that leaves you right outside of the opera house that I found here.

http://roushimsx.shackspace.com/Final%20Fantasy%20III%20(U).000

(cut and paste, drag and drop, whatever. If your Final Fantasy 3 rom is named anything else, you're wrong!)
    Fire up the game and load save state 1. Enjoy.

I'll put some more time into it this weekend. Sorry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks anyway, but save states usually require a certain emulator. And that emulator is usually Windows only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks anyway, but save states usually require a certain emulator. And that emulator is usually Windows only.
    You know, if you actually told me what operation system you used instead of assuming that everyone on the net knows you don't use Windows, I'd probably be able to help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

If it's only 10 minutes in, why am I led to believe it's like the end of the game? Sheesh. I can play for 10 minutes. In fact, I have Anthology loaded right now.

Also, I could seriously do without these dated crappy 3D videos. This is supposed to be a SNES game.

Call off the recordings.
    The Eternal Darkness Bathtub fiasco is only 10 minutes into the game

Although it's not a very long game anyways, you should play it in it's entirity because it's awesome. Same for FFVI, a great game and the the Opera scene will be that much better when you've got the background to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist

Call off the recordings.
    The Eternal Darkness Bathtub fiasco is only 10 minutes into the game
    It can't be. I played for hours when I got it and don't remember seeing it.

Although it's not a very long game anyways, you should play it in it's entirity because it's awesome. Same for FFVI, a great game and the the Opera scene will be that much better when you've got the background to it.
    I'm trying, but I just got anhillated in the stupid snail battle and started all over again. Now I get to suffer through this long intro again.

Edit: Yay! Passed the Snail battle. Who woulda thought the way to beat it was by waiting. Duh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know, I alwasy got pissed off at the Opera scene, having to memorize the timing of crap. If it is your first time through FF6, I imagine it would take around 6-7 hours to get to it.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I really must play FF3 one of these days.

There was once an album (Orchestral Game Concert 3) which contained a full, orchestrated, vocalized arrangment of the opera scene from FF3. It's 20 minutes long! Never meant much to me, but I can upload it to Savefile or somewheres if people are interested.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)