Thread: Arcade Machines & Pinball - Convincing The Wife?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Arcade Machines & Pinball - Convincing The Wife?

Alright, Im about to make my first foray into the world of upright collecting. I managed to convince the gf to let it be a christmas gift for me, but it has to go in the laundry room - ie: where she doesn't have to see it on a regular basis.

Now, from this point it gets tricky..... I want more. MORE MORE MORE!

If we had our own house she admits that she wouldn't care as I could have the basement for my gameroom. However we're currently in a two bedroom townhouse, so while we don't lack for space, we're not overflowing with it either.

Anyways, wondering if anyone here has any sugggestions to sell the spouse on large gaming purchases?

Thanks.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First, take off that mushroom hat. It makes her wonder what she ever saw in you.

Now that that's done, Make sure the spouse doesn't know about the gf.

Finally, spend a couplea bills on her. She won't care what you bring home (excluding the gf) if she's looking at the new sparkily on her wrist.
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Arcade Machines & Pinball - Convincing The Wife?

Quote Originally Posted by Sph1nx
    but it has to go in the laundry room - ie: where she doesn't have to see it on a regular basis.
    Outside of the kitchen, isn't that the room she's supposed to be in most often?

Ok, ok. I'm a riot, I know.

Be concerned about humidity in the laundry room. When our dryer runs, it gets humid. Depending upon how small the room is, what kind of washer/dryer you have, and available exhausts/vents, you *might* have environment conflicts with your arcade game.

As for "convincing the wife", I've admittedly never had any trouble in this realm, so it's hard for me to give input. For me, she seeks out games for the collection, encourages the addition of more, helps transport them, and even suggests putting them all over the house. She wants Pac-Man in our bedroom, but I prefer keeping most of the games together downstairs.

If you really want more (and it's no surprise - getting one often leads to obsession, just ask me), but have space issues, then you may want to consider some temporary alternatives. Even though I don't like MAME, you could always build a MAME cab. That's 1000s of games in one cab. Alternatively (and better, in my opinion), you could pick up one JAMMA cab and buy loose arcade boards to swap in and out of it. That way, you've only got one cab eating up space, but multiple games to swap into it.

Or, you can remind her that you pay the bills, so she can get back in line and let you fill out the second bedroom with games. That is unless *she* pays the bills, in which case you're screwed
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Find out what she likes.
    my wife digs bubble bobble series, SMB, excitebike, and a few others.
    That will narrow your selection however it's a foot in the door. I've already voiced my wanting of an upright or a cocktail arcade like joust or centipede. They are expensive but I threw in how functional it is, part game part coffee table. Remember the foosball table on Friends?, part foosball, part table to eat on (after the clear glass is placed on top)
    You gotta find a better reason to collect something so expensive. Also once you have one, your gonna want more. Check out Flacks arcade.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Arcade Machines & Pinball - Convincing The Wife?

Quote Originally Posted by Sph1nx
    Anyways, wondering if anyone here has any sugggestions to sell the spouse on large gaming purchases?
    I think that you should sell the spouse FOR large gaming purchases, but that's just me.

In reality, you've gotta get her on board for your hobby. If you don't and you're serious about turning your house into an arcade, it's going to boil over sooner or later.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had the strangest relationship in this. Let me chronicle it for a minute...

Before we were married, I stored two pinballs and one upright at my wife's apartment storage area, which was quite big. She didn't mind, but she wasn't using them or anything.

When we got married, we got a small apartment with a small basement area. I begged my parents to allow me to keep the games there, which they agreed to until I got a house.

Now, I have a house. My wife has told me that I can do what I want with the basement, but that's it. She's even seemed excited by the prospect of it, telling one of her friends that we would have to have a party when it is all set up. I'm just waiting now on getting electrical work fixed up in the basement and it'll be good to roll.

So the suggestion -- wait until you get a house, and then take over the basement. Chances are, you'll be able to find some great deals at that point in time. Heck, one of the reasons I fell in love with the basement at my house is that it has an entryway right into is -- perfect for bringing the games down.

As long as I can keep them out of her way a bit, everything is cool. In fact, once we pay off our second mortgage, I think I'm going to start hunting for one of the two pins that I still really, REALLY want to pick up.

And of course, if (when) we build on an extension, it will be specifically made for an arcade room
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arcade machines in the laundry room - reminds me of going to the laundromats! I say work with it and maybe even throw in a vending machine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Buy her one first. Does she have a favorite table? Buy it specifically for her to play.

Getting others in the house should be a little easier after that =)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by davepesc
    Make sure the spouse doesn't know about the gf.
    Damn you, I was about to post that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Having just bought my 10th machine it's now just an accepted fact that I'm going to have arcades all over the house.

Once you get permission to buy the 2nd or 3rd cab, all bets will be off.

Me? I circumvented the +1 arcade space issue by immediately buying 4 machines in a single shot from a closing arcade. It was easy to move up from there.

That said, even I'm scratching my head where the 15th - 20th arcades are going to go.

Guess when we buy our next house, I'll need to double the basement size...

And, like others have said, collecting arcades is very, very addictive. I've seriously slowed down on console collecting to fund it.

Here's to me finally finding a well priced, good shape Robotron 2084 and a pristine Food Fight in 07'
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook