Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Xbox 360 shortage

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The part that burns me up is that EB (which is where I preordered back on May 27th) will be filling the online orders they took for the premium system up until August 30th at launch while I have been told I'll have to either hope a few people don't pick theirs up or wait for the 2nd shipment.

Bothers me that they're giving priority to people who didn't even put any money down (as they stated people wouldn't be billed until a few days before they ship)
    Mostly Harmless

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If anybody is getting screwed over their pre-orders, then just go to Costo or Sam's club on launch day, and say the hell with it.

Sam's Club and Costco's deals are the best out there. You end up getting like $40 worth of free stuff, you really can't beat it. Everybody is going to need a extra controller and a plan n charge kit anyways. And with the Costco deal, you get Kameo, which I personally believe is a Game of the Year 2005 canidate.

I almost wish I didn't even have a preorder, cause I would rather have the Costco bundle. Nobody is going to even think about Costco on launch day. The only thing you have to worry about is whether or not the Costo Business customers will get in there 1 hour early and buy the 360 that you want.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd love to be able to go to Costco or the like and try camping for one, but unfortunately I paid off my 360 order in full back in early September when I was told by EB that I should be getting my 360 at launch based on how early I ordered. EB's policy on cash refunds is anything over $150 has to be on a check but from their corporate offices - which is at least 7-10 business days - meaning I'd miss the launch anyway.
    Mostly Harmless

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    I just went to my local GameCrazy yesterday to see where I was on the waiting list. I was 5th. I have mine completely paid for. So if they get 5 premium versions, then I'm cool. Only thing is, I don't know if they are going to open at Midnight, which kinda sucks.
    The two GameCrazys I was in today are both getting 4 systems. I asked just for shits and giggles, but I honestly didn't expect the number to be THAT low.

Also, I read in our GameRush map last night that we'll have our numbers downloaded into the POS tomorrow, so I'll know tomorrow if I have one waiting for me at my store, but if GameCrazy is only getting 4 systems per store, I doubt we're getting any more than that.

If not, I've got some strings to pull around town and I'll have a hell of a long hunting day ahead of me on the 22nd.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    I just went to my local GameCrazy yesterday to see where I was on the waiting list. I was 5th. I have mine completely paid for. So if they get 5 premium versions, then I'm cool. Only thing is, I don't know if they are going to open at Midnight, which kinda sucks.
    The two GameCrazys I was in today are both getting 4 systems. I asked just for shits and giggles, but I honestly didn't expect the number to be THAT low.

Also, I read in our GameRush map last night that we'll have our numbers downloaded into the POS tomorrow, so I'll know tomorrow if I have one waiting for me at my store, but if GameCrazy is only getting 4 systems per store, I doubt we're getting any more than that.

If not, I've got some strings to pull around town and I'll have a hell of a long hunting day ahead of me on the 22nd.
    We're in the same boat so i'm hoping you bring me some good news. Otherwise, it's cut-throat time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

Some nice interesting third person stories:
    Slipdeath: So how many 360s are you guys getting?
    Gamecrazy clerk: Ha, twelve and we have fourty-four preorders.
    Slipdeath: That sucks.
    Gamecrazy clerk: Yeah we probably won't have any for walk-in customers until February.
    Random customer: how much is it?
    Gamecrazy clerk: $400, but im selling mine on ebay for two grand.
    [Slipdeath walks out of gamecrazy]

Slipdeath: Are you getting any 360s on launch day?
    Kmart employee: Oh yeah I think we're going to sell them on the 20th.
    Slipdeath: Do you mean the 22nd?
    Kmart employee: No the 20th.
    Slipdeath: Oh well do you know how many you're getting?
    kmart employee: A whole bunch! Call in everyday to make sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MS just wishes they could have a launch as big as the PS2.

I for one don't give to shits come the 22nd.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

So I just called the first 17 or so stores on my list and here is what I got:
    wherehouse: 3
    target: around 30
    sam goody:1
    best buy: around 100

yup people are not very helpful.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slipdeath
    So I just called the first 17 or so stores on my list and here is what I got:
    wherehouse: 3
    target: around 30
    sam goody:1
    best buy: around 100

yup people are not very helpful.

Wow, is it just me, or do all the big companies love Best Buy and give them the most systems. The bad news is that Best Buy always has people willing to camp pretty damn early. And I don't think Best Buy will open early, so you have to wait a long, long, long time to finally get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

So I told my brother that he should check with his Gamestop to see if he was still on the 1st shipment. They also told him that he was on the 2nd shipment, too bad for him he spent over $800.00 on it already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

New rumor has it that Circuit City will be offering preorders tommorow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

I just wanted to jump in here and verify the gobs of 360's that Best Buy is getting. I load trucks at the Best Buy Distribution Center in Virginia and over the last 2-3 days pretty much each store that I load gets about 50 boxes worth. (There are 2 units per box). And as a rough guess I would say that out of 100 units, 70 of them are the Core systems..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Shortage" my ass. This is a 100% manufactured shortage to build up hype. It's a part of Marketing as much as the choice to use the name "Zero Hour" rather than "Launch Day".

I can see the headlines now.. "XBOX 360 SOLD OUT EVERWHERE". "GAMERS LINE UP FOR HOURS FOR A CHANCE TO GET ONE". blah blah blah blah. I mean.. come on. How obvious can you get They need to get the people who don't pay attention to this stuff the ingrained impression that it's one hot scarce tamale.

Bottom line: There will be plenty once they get the hype all done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Montana
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipdeath
    Well I went to my gamestop and they told me they are only receiving eight regular consoles, and four core ones. Although I was like the second to preorder I am 15th on the list because it goes by phone numbers. I am so pissed, what kind of logical list is that!?
    Ok, whoever told you that is a complete idiot. The list is made in alphabetical AND chronological. It should be an excel document with tabs at the button to switch between lists. The alpha. is so we can find people by name easily and the chronological is so we can determine who gets the systems first. They are supposed to go strictly by who reserved it first to determine who gets it with everyone on first shipment guaranteed a system and some 2nd ships too.

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse
    Not that I told any of you personally but I called this months ago. This happened to me on the PS2 when EB Games put me at #300+ when all the got was 30 some units. I cancelled my order the day before launch, got my money back and bought one at K Mart on launch day. These places are liars, plain and simple. They tell everyone that comes in that they will be getting a console and when they don’t, they claim some sort of unknown shortage. It’s a scam. They take and hold your money; you get the shaft and a console far past launch day.
    Wow, well either you have dealt with a poorly run store in the past or you chose not to listen. At GS we took "Guaranteed" preorders for about 2 weeks and then started "2nd Shipment" preorders with no guarantee of a pickup date. We told everyone who reserved one on the 2nd shipment exactly that, you're on our list but we dont have an idea of exactly when we will have yours. And what do you know, we will be getting ALL guaranteed preorders filled AND about 10 2nd ships also. So its not a lie or scam its a matter of what you want to hear and who happens to be talking to you.

Also, they dont hold your money hostage, every place I know of will refund your money for a preorder if you change your mind, so if you can find it somewhere else earlier so be it. So dont go making asinine statements with blatant lies.
    You know what, fuck you for saying that. I don’t come unglued very often but your end of the industry is a bunch of fucking liars. I just heard a clerk at EB games tell a lady that she could buy a launch day console…..last fucking Saturday! She paid and walked out with a receipt. That was a blatant lie, I asked the clerk not but five minuets later and he said nothing until after Christmas. He lied to the soccer mom, not to me.

I couldn’t care less where you work, it goes on at local stores in my area, end of story. You need to read my post more thoroughly. Did I claim they took my cash? No, I said they hold it and earn interest off of it. Many stores + many full prepaid orders + time = lots of interest. Use your fucking head. They gave me a refund and I fucking stated that earlier.

I’ve been through this many times before son, you call me a liar? Shove it up you ass jaggoff. This is what I’ve been through, no bullshit, no lies.

Why don’t you go be an uneducated moron on some other site…

By the way, I had paid for the PS2 in full January of 2000, over 10 months in advance. I was still on the bottom of the list….

I don’t know why I’m explaining this to you, you’ll just miss quote me again…

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As an eb employee we are getting 52 in day one. We are however #5 in the nation in terms of sales. A lot of stores around are getting less then 25 some as low as 12.

A lot of people bash EB and I try to stick up for them but really fuck it. Everyone has a bad experiece with them and you know what that sucks. And it sucks you have never came to my ebs or other ebs i've worked at. Sure a lot of people hate us but I have a lot of people come in becaus of us/me and because of the shit I do to hook them up

Anyways...we are doing the 360 launches by the date pre-ordered. Simple as that. We have over 300 pre-orders and it simply sucks. Because 50 people and tell them they cant get one day one because M$ told us we were getting 100 and now we are only getting 50.

Nothing I can really do about that...SOrry. I've been telling people there options to get a 360 day one. And it involves calling a lot of stores and going there that morning.

Hint for the ps3: When you see the sign just preorder it so you are like #1 on the list dont have to worry about this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd love to be able to go to Costco or the like and try camping for one, but unfortunately I paid off my 360 order in full back in early September when I was told by EB that I should be getting my 360 at launch based on how early I ordered. EB's policy on cash refunds is anything over $150 has to be on a check but from their corporate offices - which is at least 7-10 business days - meaning I'd miss the launch anyway.
    I dont know what EB that is...but ive given $500 cash refunds before...So thats pretty much bs. That was an old policy I though though. Could be wrong. Id stick it out...or get money back one day go back the next get money back and then the day after etc..so its $150 at a time. Just dont tell em your doing it like that though.

Thats if you really want to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I’m not saying that all EB’s are bad, all I’m saying is that the 2 in my area are. And I would also feel safe saying that there is many more like it, not all, just some. It’s not just EB either, many other gaming chain stores like to rip people off.

Quite a few small specialty stores tend to do this. We used to have a store called Computer Renaissance that flat out had to be the biggest scam out there. Most educated people would walk in, look at the merchandise and walk out but the ones that got suckered were the ones who didn’t know any better. Just like the soccer mom last Saturday.

I work in the home theater business (among other things) and can tell you that this industry has to one of the worst when it comes to scams. I see it all the time. Big culprits are places like Best Buy and Circuit City. But, the big dogs are often the small, boutique HT stores that carry high-end equipment. I’ve quite a few places simply due to the fact that they flat out rip their customers off. The sad part is that they play on the customer’s ignorance; most often they don’t even know they’ve been scammed.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh I know, it is a lot of EB's. Actually I was talking to my ASM yesterday about this. Because he too sticks up for them on forums and such and just gave up. We came to the conclusion that is is mostly west coast eb's that cause the problem. As they rank much lower then us. But im sure there is problems all around the US...and you know what It sucks. And because of that attitude and those problems is why gamestop bought EB.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse
    You know what, fuck you for saying that. I don’t come unglued very often but your end of the industry is a bunch of fucking liars. I just heard a clerk at EB games tell a lady that she could buy a launch day console…..last fucking Saturday! She paid and walked out with a receipt. That was a blatant lie, I asked the clerk not but five minuets later and he said nothing until after Christmas. He lied to the soccer mom, not to me.

I couldn’t care less where you work, it goes on at local stores in my area, end of story. You need to read my post more thoroughly. Did I claim they took my cash? No, I said they hold it and earn interest off of it. Many stores + many full prepaid orders + time = lots of interest. Use your fucking head. They gave me a refund and I fucking stated that earlier.

I’ve been through this many times before son, you call me a liar? Shove it up you ass jaggoff. This is what I’ve been through, no bullshit, no lies.

Why don’t you go be an uneducated moron on some other site…

By the way, I had paid for the PS2 in full January of 2000, over 10 months in advance. I was still on the bottom of the list….

I don’t know why I’m explaining this to you, you’ll just miss quote me again…
    Haha...oh excuse me, I was still laughing at your post, such hostility, I feel bad for ya.

Ok first of all, you said "these places" so I took that as lumping all stores like EB together. If you were just talking about that particular one or even most EBs that would be fine, cuz on the whole EBs are not run as well.

Oh, Im sorry I asumed you were more intelligent than to be upset about someone holding your money when you have a choice in the matter. So you are mad because people FREELY give them money to hold stuff and they make money off of it? Ok its clear now.

I wont even address your ignorant ass statements in the middle. I have no doubt you have been through what you said, and honestly if you came in with the obvious attitude you have I would not fault anyone for treating you bad because its obvious you can be a dick, but when you make blanket asinine statements I will call ya on it.

I'm uneducated huh? Thats funny, you actually have no idea how funny that is.

I went to reserve my PS2 6-7 months before it came out and they had stopped taking reserves, the only reason I got mine was cuz someone on the list cancelled the same day, so whats your point about being on the bottom 10 months before it came out?

But, if you HATE that EB soooo much take your lousy ass business elsewhere, you obviously use the internet and as a last resort you can use it to buy stuff. If you keep going there you got nothing to complain about.

P.S. You might want to check out this link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People always point out EB when talking about a "shortage". "OMGZ like 300 people have pre-ordered and we are only getting 10 systems!!". Signing up for a pre-order at EB requires no commitment, so people freely sign up even if they are on the fence. How many people do you think have put their name on as many lists as possible? I have known many people who pre-order expected hot items at several stores at once. Often, they are still not sure if they will even buy the item when it is released, but it doesn't hurt to get your name on the list. I would wager that out of 300 unpaid pre-orders, the majority of them would decline completing the purchase after release day.

Remember when these same stores were claiming it was "impossible" to get a copy of Halo 2 unless you pre-ordered?