Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Most technically advanced Super NES N64 & PS1 games?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When my brother was playing Pokemon Stadium 2 I thought it was an early PS2 game because it looked so good.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjackcsa
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Quote Originally Posted by Famidrive-16
    Pokemon Puzzle League for the N64 had some FMv scenes. Pretty impressive, since FMVs were rare on that system.
    So did Resident Evil 2.
    Just wanted to point out that it wasn't the systems limitations that kept FMV For the most part out of The N64's Library. It was space on the Cart. So there is nothing technically impressive with FMV on the N64. Hell the Genesis had FMV in a couple of games.
    RE 2 on the N64 is a pure technical master piece. Compressing the 2 cd's down to 512 Mb and then adding extra's was no small feat.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was always impressed with Axelay on the SNES. I don't know that it was pushing the system to it's limits... ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    RE 2 on the N64 is a pure technical master piece. Compressing the 2 cd's down to 512 Mb and then adding extra's was no small feat.
    512Mbits of course (as you're aware, just clearing this up if anybody was wondering), which is only 64 megabytes.

That's smaller than the camera memory cards at my local charity store.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was space on the Cart. So there is nothing technically impressive with FMV on the N64.
    Think about what you said for a while.

Then run into a wall.

Or don't, but thinking is a good thing in any case.
    What is technically impressive about a developer making a choice between making a bigger game or making a small game with FMV? There is Zero that is techincally impressive about that choice. Remember all of the FMV on a the Sega CD? A techincally inferior system than the N64 could run far more FMV only due to the fact it was a CD based system. I thought this thread was about the system not the media that the system handled. I stand by my original post. It's not more technically impressive to run FMV on the N64 than it is to run Rendered sprites on the SNES. The only prohibitive factor is the size of the media as has been pointed out. A game that pushed the CART to the limit? No doubt in my mind. A Game that pushed the power of the system? Not a Chance.

Run into your own damn wall.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not more technically impressive to run FMV on the N64 than it is to run Rendered sprites on the SNES.
    Well said! Squeezing 1000 megabytes to 64 megabytes is not an N64 trait. It's the codec's efficiency & Pentium-PC used to crunch data. The N64's not creating the Video - merely playing it back like a VCR/DVD. So not taxing the console.

More impressive is the Zelda cut-scenes - the flashback to the Birth of the Triforce - they are created in real-time by the N64.

trivia - strip away the videos and RE2's program is only 25 megabytes. The Zelda programs are larger at 32 megabytes.

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

It was space on the Cart. So there is nothing technically impressive with FMV on the N64.
    Think about what you said for a while.

Then run into a wall.

Or don't, but thinking is a good thing in any case.
    What is technically impressive about a developer making a choice between making a bigger game or making a small game with FMV? There is Zero that is techincally impressive about that choice. Remember all of the FMV on a the Sega CD? A techincally inferior system than the N64 could run far more FMV only due to the fact it was a CD based system. I thought this thread was about the system not the media that the system handled. I stand by my original post. It's not more technically impressive to run FMV on the N64 than it is to run Rendered sprites on the SNES. The only prohibitive factor is the size of the media as has been pointed out. A game that pushed the CART to the limit? No doubt in my mind. A Game that pushed the power of the system? Not a Chance.

Run into your own damn wall.
    Are you even paying attention to the subject at hand? The question is most technically advanced games. Compressing 2 cd's into 512 Mb, that's 64 MB, while mainting the same quality, keeping the the FMVs and adding bonus content, is a technical marvel.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any Squaresoft/enix games seem to push the limits for the SNES and PSone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For the SNES, I imagine it would be Tales of Phantasia. It's one of few 48 Mb games ever made, and the vocal piece is quite impressive. Star Ocean is probably up there too.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    It's not more technically impressive to run FMV on the N64 than it is to run Rendered sprites on the SNES.
    Are you even paying attention to the subject at hand?
    How rude.

Are you paying attention? "Most advanced (pushes the console to its limits)". Playing back pre-recorded videos don't challenge the console's CPU or GPU at all. Playing pre-recorded video is a brainless activity for the N64, PS1, Genesis, or any other system.

"fishsandwich"]Driver 2, on the other hand, pushes the hardware beyond its limits. The game has got LOADS of slowdown... sometimes it's less than 10 frames per second. Entire city blocks pop up mere feet in front of your car.
    I may have to buy that game. Always wondered what a game looks like when it pushes a console with too many polygons.

What about Pokemon Stadium - does that push the N64 to its limits?

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IMO these are the games that push BOTH THE CONSOLE AND THE GAME ITSELF (N64) TO THEIR LIMITS and still look and run GOOD

Snes:

Tarrinigma VERY IMPRESSIVE great colorful graphics that faar surpass 75% of the 2-D games released on PSX

3-D for Snes-DOOM sure it looks like crap now but when I first got this game I was very impressed that the old SNessy could actually do a decent DOOM plus it had the FX chip (rumored to be multiple FX chips something like 2-3)

Killer Instinct- literally KILLS the shitty hackjob N64 version IMO THIS IS THE GAME THAT REALLY PUSHED THE SNES AS FAR AS IT COULD GO

N64- Resident Evil 2 NO DOUBT ABOUT THIS ONE so incredible that they were able to compress 2 freaking cds into ONE N64 CART and actually make it all work FMV and everything

the two Zeldas pushed the N64 and still look decent today and thats saying something for a N64 game

Playstation-Metal Gear Solid

2-D Castlevania:Symphony of the Night -I remember reading and interview with a couple of the programmers that had worked on the game and they stated that they used every trick in the book to get the PSX version as perfect as possible therefore pushed the system more than most gamers think HELL THE SATURN VERSION WAS INFERIOR TO THE PSX VER and that is a rare thing indeed when cosidering the Saturn was a basically a 2-D POWERHOUSE when compared to the PSone.

I have to add Metal slug X also I thought it was a damn good port and impressive running on the PSX

Saturn:
    Panzer Dragoon Saga NO QUESTION ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL FLYING AND BATTLE SEQUENCES

2-D: Streetfighter Alpha 2 the most perfect arcade home port to a console ever in my opinion

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

bump

I like this topic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_psx
    bump

I like this topic
    D'ya have anything to add to it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's been said time and time again, but Radiant Silvergun really does show what the Saturn could do. Any given point in the game will features multiple layers of parallax scrolling (did I say that right?) along with hundreds (thousands?) of texture-mapped polygons and hundreds upon hundreds of sprites whizzing around the screen. It's 2-D and 3-D combined in a way that I haven't seen in any other game. I think the gameplay itself is a bit overrated, but that's just me.

I've read that Treasure developed (and possibly FINISHED) a port of Radiant Silvergun for the PSone but decided not to release it as it was a pale imitation of the Saturn original. Anyone else heard that?

Burning Rangers pushed the Saturn pretty hard. So did Grandia. Dead or Alive was pretty damned impressive, too.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Word is that Sin & Punishment is quite impressive on the N64.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JCinc421

My vote on the SNES game that pushed it to the limits is Star Ocean all the way.
    The cartridge actually had two chips of data in it, and one of them was a chip containing all the graphic packages. Needed two chips to fit all the kickassery into this great game.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Most technically advanced Super NES N64 & PS1 games?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_psx
    (No not Donkey Kong Country) (That's just standard 2D sprites)

Super Nintendo?
    N64?
    PS1?

Not beautiful but Most graphically-technically advanced 2D game on each? (pushes the console to its limits)

Most graphically-technically advanced 3D game on each? (pushes the console to its limits)
    This doesn't make any sense. You want to know what is the most graphically-technically advanced 2D game on the SNES, but you say that DKC is just 2D sprites? All 2D games are just 2D sprites. So DKC (or one of its sequels) should certainly qualify as the most graphically-technically advanced 2D game on the system. No other 2D game on any system looks like it, except for the DKC games on the GBA. Its whole selling point at the time was that it looked even better than any of the 32X games for the Genesis, and it didn't require any additional hardware or even an additional chip to do so. I'd say that's extremely graphically-technically advanced. How else were they able to do it?
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Most technically advanced Super NES N64 & PS1 games?

DKC isn't the most graphically advanced simply because it's using canned material, and really - when you consider that bigger games exist (48 megabit ROMs for example), it's not even eligible under the pretext of ROM space.

As far as a graphically impressive game with prerendered stuff - I'd say Rendering Ranger beats it in that department. Still, both games aren't nearly as impressive as games that make heavy use of Mode 7 and/or multiple layer effects/transparency masks (Axelay, Super Metroid, Demon's Crest).

Asthetics would be a discussion for another thread. I doubt DKC would win there either

N64: Seconding votes for Resident Evil 2 (for the movie) and Perfect Dark Zero. Also adding in Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Earth, if that wasn't mentioned yet.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rayman 2 on N64 looks beautiful.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SNES...

2D - Street Fighter Alpha 2

Yes, this game had issues with loading, but when you conisder everything that was squeezed into the cart it was quite impressive.

3D - Stunt Race FX

At the time the game was a pretty fast racer on the SNES and I think it was really fun for it's time. It had the best 3D world IMO.

N64

2D - Ogre Battle 64

Just a beautiful game. I'm a sucker for sprites.

3D - Resident Evil 2

This game REALLY pushed the system. The in-game engine was very sharp and the cutscene were still very good despite the compression.

PS One

2D - Castlevania: SOTN

Beautiful from start to finish. The little details were really amazing.

3D - Dead or Alive, the Fear Effect series.

Dead or Alive's visuals were superb and still look very good today.

The Fear Effect games seemed to get everything it could out of the system. The pre-rendered backgrounds were great and the character models are still awesome. Those games are some of the few 3D games on the PS One that aren't painful to look at today.