Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Star Trek games?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best Star Trek games?

I'm in the mood for a Start Trek game. What all are my options? I have the 25th anniversary NES one and ST:TNG on SNES. None of those are too my liking. They are just too hard to enjoy, even though digging through the computer on the SNES one is a lot of fun. Also I have ST: Starfleet Acadamy, I liked it ok, too bad I can't find it now. What are some games worth my time on the PC?
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Deep Space 9: Crossroads of Time got decent enough reviews; I haven't played more than a minute of it but what I saw was a platformer with beat-em-up elements...come to think of it, my inital look didn't last long enough to see any enemies.

*plays through it some more*

Hmm, this is a pretty darn good representation of Deep Space 9 in 2D.

For PC titles, the old 25th Anniversary game seemed pretty good (have had a copy myself, one of the first PC games I played, actually), and the two Elite Force FPS titles are quite good as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

I remember when cd roms first came out in the early 90's, there was a Star Trek "game" where you could just walk around a starship. I remember thinking it was so cool, but I don't know if it had a plot or not. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, I do know of Captain's Chair, but that's from quite a bit later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i thought startek judgement rights on PC was great
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved the fallen
    bridge commander
    and elite forces 1&2
    neo geo system

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar
    I remember when cd roms first came out in the early 90's, there was a Star Trek "game" where you could just walk around a starship. I remember thinking it was so cool, but I don't know if it had a plot or not. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Not a game. It was a Computerized version of the Technical Manual that was released 1991. When the show ended in 1994 - they dumped the manual to CD - and added that bonus feature of exploring the ship.

Today it looks primitive (160x100 - tiny little window) & the explorable part is not that great - cause you see more just watching the show! Bought it last year and quickly sold it.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of my all time fav StarTrek games on the PC was actually StarTrek: Klingon. If you have what it takes to enjoy a fun FMV game with lots of puzzles and point-and-click style adventures, this is a great game. It also give you a chance to fell what it is like to be a Klingon with a good storyline, and it even comes with a Klingon Dictionary type thing so you can lear even more and learn to speak Klingon!

Another simular title that I have not played in a LONG time, but remember enjoying very much, and heck Id proably like it 20 times more now that I am older and could follow directions and solve the puzzles more easily, was StarTrek: Borg. THis game puts you into conflict with the Borg, and I dont remember the whole storyline well enogh to try to say much more. You ron into Q a LOT in this game too, I remember that, mostly when you mess up. He's right there ready to tell you that you messed up and to snap his fingers to take you back in time to try again and again till you get it right or he gets fed up with you and shuts the game off for you! Great game from what I can remember, me and my bro worked together and beat it once, many a year ago.

Many think that most all FMV games suck, but I MUST recomende Klingon, great game, I need to play it again some day.

BTW, if ya got a GameGear, a great game for a quick StarTrek fix is IMHO Generations. I love it, very fun. Fly the ship in battles, take controle of crew to save crewmates, fix the wireing or blow up, becode the message's signal, fun and fast game, Ive beaten it several times, and you cant ever Beat the game without seeing the movie and knowing a couple of things about the ST universe. Fast and fun, and its goten me coming back a few times before to play again, though there really is nothing diffrent and therefore not a whole lot of replay value besides the fun and quick fix.
    I will get around to editing this thing again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar
    Well, there's Star Trek Interactive Technical Manual but I don't think it lets you do a full tour. Basically it uses Quicktime VR to allow you to check out various sets from the show. Commander Riker can also take you on a tour. This came out in late 1994, if I'm not mistaken.

Another game that came to mind was Star Trek: Borg where you were a young officer whose father was killed at Wolf 359 by the Borg. Q gives you the opportunity to go back in time and try and save the starship your father was on. I played the demo once (and it locked up on me) and I think you could go from place to place Myst-style (I remember stepping into the turbolift and trying to figure out the panel as it was one of the many puzzles in the game). I could be wrong, though. Basically an FMV game.

That help?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't much care for Star Trek Klingon, but I did like Star Trek Borg a good bit.

On a sidenote, Klingon Honor Guard was a good letdown (didn't make very good use of the Unreal engine) I was really expecting something golden but it was a fairly generic fps. I'd say it's on par in quality and letdown-factor to Blood 2: The Chosen.

Deep Space Nine - The Fallen was quite awesome, on the other hand. I've been meaning to check out The Collective's Buffy game (don't care for the show, but I'm willing to check out just about anything from the developers after The Fallen). The branches you go out on from using the three different characters aren't that drastic, but they're still pretty interesting.

I also really liked Star Trek 25th Anniversary on PC.

Elite Force was surprisingly awesome but way too short. I think you can find it bundled with the expansion for like $10 now a days, and I have no idea how much the sequel is (I never picked it up because I didn't want to wind up with another really short game for ~$50). One of these days I'll have to pick it up. I liked the subtle effects that your decisions would sometimes have, such as early on when you can save a few lives or not by performing certian actions. Didn't change the story at all, but it was a nice addition that added to the atmosphere.

Hall of Shame
    Oh man, I just have to add my least favorite in here as well:
    Star Trek New Worlds.

Sweet mother of god was that an incredible piece of shit.

edit - Added "On a sidenote" since it previously sounded like I was mixing Klingon Honor Guard up with Star Trek Klingon.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, all these suggestions and I still don't have a good idea of which I'd want to try.

What are the FPS options? And are they good?

What are the RTSish options? And are they good?

I seem to recall one sorta like a RTS where you'd fly the ship and fight in 3rd person space combat and it was pretty cool.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't believe nobody thinks of ST: Invasion.

A total must have if you're a fan of Colony Wars like me.

3D space combat if you don't know it. Got the voices of Picard and Worf in it, for fun.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What A Cool Topic !!

Here ya go, Avatard ....

1] "BORG" -- PC

2] "Klingon" -- PC

3] "StarFleet Academy" -- SNES

4] "The 25th Anniversary" -- AMIGA

5] "Judgement Rites" -- PC
    CLICK > "paisleyATOM" -- Your Source For 68000 Apple Computer Entertainment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Avatard
    What are the FPS options? And are they good?
    Elite Force 1 & 2. Quite good. Not as pretty as the newest games out, but I believe both use the Quake III engine, and the first was developed by Raven, the second by Ritual. Both very nice.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Birth of the Federation has always been a favorite of mine, it's a fun strategy game set in the ST universe.

Elite Force 1 and 2 are very good FPS's.

If you want a more 'stealthy' game, Away Team is decent.

Bridge Commander is another favorite of mine, great fun. That game is action, shooting up ships.

The Starfleet Command games are based on the old table based game, great fun.

And if you like real time strategy, the Armada games are great.

Invasion for the PS is a decent action game as well.

The classics are 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites for the PC. They work fine in DosBOX.

But 25th Anniversary for the NES a is a great game also!
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie
    I can't believe nobody thinks of ST: Invasion. A total must have if you're a fan of Colony Wars like me.
    Truly a good sim like colony wars? I hear lots of bad things about Trek space combat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Star Trek - The Arcade game in MAME

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx

I also really liked Star Trek 25th Anniversary on PC.
    I love that game. Especially the comments from McCoy when you try to shoot him with the phaser.

".....(sigh)..Put that damn thing away, Jim"

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy
    Star Trek - The Arcade game in MAME
    Yes! Very fun, and a classic, and it's FREE, only it is to dang short. PLay for not even 10 mins and you get a 'you beat the game, game over' screen.
    I will get around to editing this thing again.