Thread: Microprose/ Master of Magic

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Microprose/ Master of Magic

I loved this game. I use to stay up all night and play this game. Is there anything close to it on the pc today? I still own my copy of master of magic, is it worth anything today? Or is it truly for sentimental value?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Still worth a little

I too absolutely loved this game. The closest thing I can think of is Heroes of Might and Magic series, which is pretty good. I sold my copy of Master of Magic on ebay, but that game is friggin awsome.

It is probably worth a little still, I would check on the bay.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The CD version was worth about $20 last I checked, though I think the CD version only came with the 4 CD game pack Microprose kicked out with MOM, MOO, X-Com, and TFTD. The disk-based version is hard to say. I doubt most 3.5 floppy versions would still work reliably after all this time, but the original documentation (game manual and a seperate spellbook) isn't something that came with the CD 4-pack, so that might be worth a mint.

HOMM and Age of Wonders are probably the closest things to MoM (though waaaay simplified), but I think the Disciples series might be similar, and I remember hearing about an indie game that was supposed to be a sort of homage to MoM, but I haven't heard anything about it in ages, so I don't know how good it can be.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got a boxed Master of Orion II at a garage sale and it originally came with a bonus disk copy of Master of Magic. For some reason, it doesn't have Master of Orion II with it, but it still has Master of Magic with it.(MoOII must have gotten lost) On the front of the box it says "Special Offer: Free Master of Magic Inside Box". It has all the papers for both games in it. I've heard so many great things about Master of Magic. Maybe I should install it and see how it is.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Microprose/ Master of Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Spinbrett
    I loved this game.
    Is this the one with the ultra-cool SId music?

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Master of Magic is one of my favourite games of all time. Similar games that are "good" hmm...

Off the top of my head - If you like that kind of Genre, Disciples and Disciples 2 are similar and rather good. Also Age of Wonders.

You should also check out "Majesty" (Majesty Gold is the one to buy now. Includes Majesty and it's expansion) - It's a "Kingdom Simulator" and a different kind of game, but in the same fantasy vein and loads of fun. Strategy based, etc..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've heard that Lords of Magic is the "true" successor to Masters of Magic.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A great game but dated.

Since you can download this game for free (legally) here:
    http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=687
    it's not really that valuable or in demand.. Anyone who missed out on this great strategy game shouls check it out. It's a small 10mb file.

A complete copy with box and all docs. might be worth something on Ebay. Search for it and see if any copies are selling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Stark
    Since you can download this game for free (legally) here:
    Nobody ever said that was legal...

I suppose I should be glad I picked this up when I did, although all I got was the CD and spellbook. At least the CD was unopened.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is one of the games I kick myself daily for losing when, almost ten years ago, I gave away the nearly three-hundred retro PC games I'd accumulated since the early eighties to some guy in my dorm.

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is a great game if you're looking for a more contemporary replacement. It should be cheap, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still have the original retail box and manuals, but my friend borrowed my game CD and left it in his work laptop when he quit. Fortunately, it isn't hard to find the full CD version online, so I have it patched to version 1.31 and archived.

Also, this game still plays well on Windows XP. I can't get music to work due to not having enough conventional memory in the XP DOS emulation, but the sound effects and overall game performance are perfect.

If I had the money, I would buy the rights to this game and have it ported to DirectX. Seriously. It is that good.