Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Play Midway Arcade at Target.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

look at the atari flashback for example

a lot of people in our circles thought the idea and concept were great, but the execution sucked. enter the flashback 2, and things are looking much much better. it is still not perfect, but without actual out-of-date hardware that cannot be economically feasible.

this arcade cab is a good first step, i wont be buying one, but if the company that produces them (or another company that follows the progress of this unit) finds way to improve this without adding much cost, i will be willing to buy

it acutally surprises me that more IP holders havent embraced MAME, and licensed it to produce more of these types of devices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are these things in the Electronics section, or toys? I looked for it at my closest Target, but it ain't there....... :/
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

One of the hopeless idiots that runs SC3; (Southern California Classic Collectors):
    www.sc3videogames.com

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pantechnicon
    Target is trying to appeal to a mainstream customer base. A popular acceptance of these machines will have beneficial results for the hobby as whole, if by doing nothing else than inspiring a few more youngsters to become the next ClubNinjas of their time.
    But here's the thing: the execution of these things sucks. Tack on the fact that they're "flooding" the market by putting out several different versions all at once (understandably trying to capitalize on the holiday traffic), all of which are half assed / cheaply built / poorly simulated nonsense. With a price tag of $500.

That's killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Crappy first impression+big price tag=end of story. The Flashback sucks, but it was only $25 brand new. The new Flashback isn't much better, and it's already down to $23 at Target. I agree with the poster who said that they'll turn off more potential customers than they'll turn on by virtue of lofting poor Defender simulations (to use one example) on an audience who is expecting more bang for the buck. And rightfully so.

You don't have to be much of a foosball or air hockey player to recognize those crappy tables you see at all the sporting goods stores this time of year. They're laughably bad. These new "arcade" games are the same thing. And I wouldn't touch one of those with a ten foot pole either.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

World of Games, PLEASE truncate your links, you throw the thread off balance and make it hard to read.

The "Arcade Legends" large cocktail has been at Costco for a couple years now, I'm fairly sure it runs a derivitive of the Ultracade FE built upon MAME (using StarRoms). The sticks aren't all that great but the Trakballs were solid.

Now the "Dream Authentics" cabs, from the pictures, look to use real arcade parts and are based upon some of the more popular "modern" MAME cabinet designs. Those probably have a PC inside, again, running a derivitive of MAME with StarRoms.

I don't think the issue here is "I can't build a MAME cab so I'll get THIS" the issue is that if people are going to put up $500 - $4000 for a preassembled "multicade" they should be getting QUALITY. (as with everything) I'm sure most people that notice the poor quality of the lower cost items will look at $500 for that, then look at $500 worth of gaming elsewhere in the electronics department and spend their money there instead.

Budgeting it out my MAME cocktail is going to cost me about $300 (said this in an earlier thread about this), for about $600 you can buy a glue-together cocktail kit and have an AUTHENTIC reproduction cocktail - an option for someone that can't do the woodwoorking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I just tried this myself. I can't speak for the other cabinets but the Midway one is total shit. The graphics were not arcade quality and the buttons were very stiff. I tried Tapper and Rampage and thought it was a very unfulfilling experience. Just buy the the console Midway arcade treasures for $20 or less and have more fun.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VACRMH

omg I think it just moved a little

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the idea would be usefull to make mame-cabinets for sale. Problem with these is the games are limited and from what heard here the quality is poor. I think it could sell well if the made it better quality and with a hd and cd-rom in the back so you can install extra games which could be sold separatly or in multi-packs. I think if the industry would do that it could be a success.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wait, so you guys are telling me that this:

is total crap?

This is selling got 6k.

I have seen dedicated Tekken 3 Cabs like this go for more. I think this price is about what I would personally pay for a cab of this nature even if it was NOT emulated.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Total crap.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ClubNinja
    Total crap.
    No surprise that someone who write his name in gay-pink thinks it crap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges
    Wait, so you guys are telling me that this:

is total crap?

This is selling got 6k.

I have seen dedicated Tekken 3 Cabs like this go for more. I think this price is about what I would personally pay for a cab of this nature even if it was NOT emulated.
    Ehem, you should read the thread, my post in particular...

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    The "Arcade Legends" large cocktail has been at Costco for a couple years now, I'm fairly sure it runs a derivitive of the Ultracade FE built upon MAME (using StarRoms). The sticks aren't all that great but the Trakballs were solid.

Now the "Dream Authentics" cabs, from the pictures, look to use real arcade parts and are based upon some of the more popular "modern" MAME cabinet designs. Those probably have a PC inside, again, running a derivitive of MAME with StarRoms.

I don't think the issue here is "I can't build a MAME cab so I'll get THIS" the issue is that if people are going to put up $500 - $4000 for a preassembled "multicade" they should be getting QUALITY. (as with everything) I'm sure most people that notice the poor quality of the lower cost items will look at $500 for that, then look at $500 worth of gaming elsewhere in the electronics department and spend their money there instead.
    The middle paragraph is most important.

Also I don't see how ClubNinja can make a comment about it as it isn't instore yet and there are no details about the cab itself at the present time.

Let's be honest, the two lower priced cabinets are really just REALLY BIG Jakks TV Games controllers. If you have any Tilt arcades in your area, all their games go up for sale around this time of year, and this year it seems like most branches really want to move their product.

Example: Two years ago Sega Super GT (two seat most standard version) was $18,000 PER SEAT. Last year it was $15,000 PER SEAT. This year it's $8,000 for BOTH SEATS. They have a Tekken 5 for $1,400 and a Tekken Tag for $350. Cheaper arcade games can be found but they require CONSTANT MAINTENANCE - which is why a MAME cabinet (even a small cocktail like the one I'm cutting my MAME cab teeth with) is a better alternative unless you know your way around a genuine arcade cabinet. (so glad I don't do that anymore)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VACRMH

Blah can some body say roms :P

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sanriostar
    Are these things in the Electronics section, or toys? I looked for it at my closest Target, but it ain't there....... :/
    It's in the electronics section, and not all targets have them on display.
    Viva la raza, y los putos que quieran pedo, que se metan el pinche dedo.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sharp
    Quote Originally Posted by ClubNinja
    Total crap.
    No surprise that someone who write his name in gay-pink thinks it crap.
    No surprise that someone who writes in broken English would toss a homophobic stereotype into a perfectly innocent discussion. FYI, dude, it's "Light Red", not "Gay-Pink". Furthermore, there is no option for "Straight-Pink", so I don't think it's fair to pigeon-hole the color pink in this situation.

And:

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Also I don't see how ClubNinja can make a comment about it as it isn't instore yet and there are no details about the cab itself at the present time.
    Because I think it's crap and have the right to opinion? I don't care if these cabs wash my car, do my taxes, pay the mortgage, and/or tickle my prostate - I think they're crap. So what?

Kids. Take this stuff more lightly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I disagree with you there ClubNinja. If they pay the mortgage I will definately purchase one. I do believe however this feature was omitted, so I'm not interested.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Your opinion is pretty useless if that they're not even in stores yet to try.

Unless you've tried it your opinion has about as much merit as his does about the color pink you use for a username.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played it last night, and these have got to be the most Ghetto-assed things I've possibly ever played in my life!

It's like an arcade machine made out of *paperboard* with a dinky 13" monitor playing watered-down ports. I killed Sinistar twice on a 3 ship game! That's not supposed to happen! NO VOICE IN WIZARD OF WOR!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only good thing I got from it was having some kids watch me play Robotron and hearing some compliments from them.

Avoid this at all costs!!!
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

One of the hopeless idiots that runs SC3; (Southern California Classic Collectors):
    www.sc3videogames.com

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames
    Your opinion is pretty useless if that they're not even in stores yet to try.
    Another well-written statement. Look - I was not trying to be either serious or useful. Forget I said anything.

Oh, and during lunch, I visited the local Target to try one of these things. Seriously - I spent about 20 minutes on the task. Very educational and provided lots of insight on the Target arcade games.

Total crap.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I took a look at the specs. I will check one out on my way home as there is a Target 5 mins from my house.

Based on what I see, the way Target manufactures its furniture, and what I have been told by a close friend who has played one...

...if they put this thing in the bathroom, I would put a quarter in the urinal and piss in the cabinet.

In fact, if they put it in the electronics section, I may still put a quarter in the urinal and piss in the cabinet.

The thing is about as comparable to a quality cabinet as a great cheese steak is to a 9 inch turd on a bulky roll.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    ...if they put this thing in the bathroom, I would put a quarter in the urinal and piss in the cabinet.
    www.worldofgamespublishing.com
    Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!