Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Gotta have" DS games thus far?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snes_collecter
    Polarium. My personal favorite, but it's got a love-it or hate-it appeal. My other two DS games(and the MP demo) Wario Ware, Meteos are brillant too.
    God yeah.

I just got my DS (opened on Tuesday) and so far own seven games for it, although two were loaned out a while ago as I had a bunch of games well in advance of the system. So, here goes in a longer post

Polarium I absolutely love for some reason. I think if you like puzzles (the real-world version) you'll love this game. It requires quick thinking and quick fingers in challenge, and just teases your mind in the other. While I haven't been able to put it down (I have solved about 70 of the 100 puzzles already and played challenge probably 100 times) it does have it's flaws.

For one, it uses almost exclusively a grey / dark grey color scheme. Why they couldn't make each level a different color that you were trying to change into the other color instead of exclusively grey / grey is beyond me. Because of that, it is very drab to look at.

It also should've had more puzzles. Sure, 100 is a lot, but I solved the 70 that I have solved so far in about two hours. Because of that, I feel that I'll probably finish the entire puzzle mode in four to five hours, which seems too short when the possibilities are basically endless.

I also do not understand why Challenge mode doesn't allow you to select your starting level. I almost always get game over between 230 and 260 lines eliminated, and I would MUCH rather be able to start at 200 than at 0 and work from there. If this was changed, I would definitely want to play challenge more.

Overall though, it is addictive as hell (to me) and one of the most fun games that I have played in a long, long time.

Mario Kart: DS is the system that got me to hold onto one of the Nintendogs packages that I bought. So far, it is easily the best Mario Kart since the SNES one, and I might like it even more than that. It is very fairly balanced, it fixes all the problems that I had with the N64 version that I was worried would return, and the challenges are an awesome addition.

While I honestly don't have anything I can even think of to complain about with it (other than I haven't yet unlocked Koopa Troopa as a racer, and he is my usual go-to guy), but it just hasn't kept my attention like Polarium. (by the way, Drexel, thanks )

Nintendogs is something you'll love if you want a pet but can't easily have one. That's my position. I want a cat. Badly. But everyone in both my wife and my's family is very allergic to them, as well as most of my friends. Since I like our families and my friends, I don't want to get a cat and have everyone avoid us. I'm not as into dogs, but I like playing with puppies.

Enter a virtual puppy that is really fun to play with. Enter Nintendogs. You don't have to spend much time with this game (and honestly, I don't know how you would every day), but it is fun for a 10-20 minute play every day.

I still haven't really learned how to make my dog do tricks, but I'm still having a lot of fun just taking it for walks, petting it and grooming it. I can't believe I just typed that, but it's true. That having been said, I've spent probably 30 minutes with it total so far, and I've already started to think, "Maybe I don't need to keep playing this..." but for a while at least, I know I will.

Feel the Magic XY/XX is the most f---ed up game that I think that I have ever played. Not saying it is bad in any way -- it isn't. In fact, it is quite fun. The minigames are cool. I don't know what else to say about it, but if you get it, you'll see what I mean. By the way, it's $10.00 at Toys R Us on green tag right now (along with Atari Retro and Polarium for $15.00).

Finally, I picked up Metroid Prime Pinball with some credit the other day, and so far... I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be. The game is very solid, don't get me wrong, but I think that I liked the store demo game that I played more than I should've. In retrospect, I wouldn't have paid the $26.00 (in credit) that it cost me to purchase.

By the way, the "Rumble" feature for it is, in my opinion, about the most worthless rumble thing ever. All it seems to do for me is create an obnoxious noise, not give me any more feel like I'm in the game. The only time I like it is the "shooting" levels.

I haven't played it too much, but I hope to later. Right now, I'm much to focused on Polarium and Mario Kart.

Soon, I'll get back the games that I loaned out -- Advance Wars DS and Zoo Keeper, of which I both expect to be very good. I'm getting Atari Retro in the mail probably today also. After that point, I'm not sure what else I'll be picking up. I'm looking for Mr. Driller Drill Spirits, but after seeing a million copies every week at EB, suddenly they all dried up. Beyond that, while other games look interesting, I'm not yet ready to purchase.

The current games that I have for it make it more than worthwhile as a console however, and I know that I'll be happily gaming on it for a long time.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's plenty of must-have's

Castlevania DoS... Feel the Magic.... Advance Wars.... Nanostray...

But one trumps them all!

Sonic Rush! Nuff' said!
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NanoStray
    Mario Kart DS
    Casltevania DoS
    Polarium
    Trauma Center

Close favs are
    Advance wars
    Kirby Canvas
    Bomberman

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Trauma Center: Under The Knife & Feel The Magic: XY / XX are both MUST HAVE Nintendo DS games.....

...Also, the worst game I have played thus far is Sprung...stay away from that one....the $9.98 I paid for it new was $9.97 more than it is worth.....
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the import front, from the creators of Gitaroo Man, iNiS:

http://www.ncsx.com/2005/ncs072505/ouendan.htm

It's different than GM (You tap numbers as they appear on the bottom screen and do other touch-related moves) and features 14 full length Japanese songs. Plus it is one of the highest rated DS games thus far and Japanese is only needed for the story. Highly recommened.

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone here ever played the import Ganbare Goemon game for the DS before? I'm interested to know if it's any good.

Oh, and Castlevania's definitely worth getting if you own a DS.