Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coleco Tabletop Games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Coleco Tabletop Games

Which of the Coleco tabletop arcade games has the most faithfull gameplay? Which one is the best overall?
    Are there any other games that use similer graphics?
    I think I recall Nintendo making one...but I really cant remember.
    These things sure do look cool, but are they really?

Galaxian :-P

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Most faithful?

Hmm, I dunno....but I always found these a lot more fun than the grey-black colored characters in all the LCD games that tiger put out.

What exactly do you call the type of display Coleco used in these? They were't exactly LCD...some kind of colored filaments.

My favorites is Donkey Kong. However, I never spent much time with the QBert, Frogger, and the other ones I have.

I do remember seeing a non-working display of a DK Jr. A proto of some sort on eBay years ago. I wonder who got that. I think I saved the auction somewhere.

I'd also like to brag and take credit for finding the first easter egg ever in one of these games. In Donkey Kong, I think if you hold up and turn it on you have unlimited lives, but the score doesn't work....or was it up + the jump button?

I'd like to see someone dump the roms for these and make an emulator.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

they are Vaccum Fluorescent Display (VFD) and the Nintendo ones are Donkey Kong Jr. (sold by Coleco), Popeye, Mario's Cement Factory and Snoopy.
    y-bot

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They're all good. I'd pick Galaxian as my favorite and Pac Man as most faithful, or maybe Frogger. I wish there were a way to turn the volume down though, they're really loud (as were most of the early 80s tabletops).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

I'd say Frogger was the best. Donkey Kong was fun to play, but it only had 2 levels.

The only thing Frogger didn't have that the arcades did was the otter that got you while you were on the logs. Besides that, it's ulra-faithful to the arcade version.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Another vote for Frogger as "most faithful" but all of the Coleco ones are REALLY good. They don't just look good, they're actually quite fun to play. Some of them even have added "new" modes, like Galaxian and Ms. Pac-Man's "vs." mode.

No one talks about the gameplay on these things. I think someone needs to write some reviews!

Strawberry (Level 2) heyricochet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cmon, anyone actually play Zaxxon? I really don't think its possible to play the tabletop version.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yuppers, I love my Galaxian tabletop. I remember getting back in '80-'81 when I was in kindergarten or the 1st grade, can't quite remember. I still have it, in excellent shape and works like the day I got it!

Got it around the same time I got my 5200 for Christmas.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I mostly collect handhelds and tabletops from the 1980's and it's nice to see topics about this.

I like the Coleco tabletops, but I don't think they play anywhere near as good as the Entex versions (specifically Pacman and Galaxian).

I too found the tabletop Zaxxon impossible to play.

Of the Coleco ones I own I think Pacman is the most faithful. I want to get a frogger one of these days because I have heard a lot of good things about that tabletop.

Reviews of these types of games would be nice Digital Press. I could start with the Entex games I own because that is what I mostly collect and play.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never had any of the arcade tabletops, but I had Alien Attack and it rocked. It was hard as heck, but it rocked.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have Space Chase by Tandy. I think it uses the same kind of display.

I could never really figure that game out though :(

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by number6
    Reviews of these types of games would be nice Digital Press. I could start with the Entex games I own because that is what I mostly collect and play.
    A simple PM to our game review God "gamereviewgod" is all you need to get started. Matt manages the reviews section, I'm sure he'd be happy to accept your submissions.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok I will PM "gamereviewgod" in a few days. I have started work on my review of "Pacman2" by Entex already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

IVe always wanted to collect these thing but have yet to ever find a vfd game in the wild.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sothy
    IVe always wanted to collect these thing but have yet to ever find a vfd game in the wild.
    Me either. I have to ebay all the classic handhelds I want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    Already done, although you don't dump the ROMs, doesn't work like that with these, you have to recreate the whole game...

http://madrigal.retrogames.com/

The games themselves have to be downloaded from the Italian version of the page, just open the English and Italian versions in different tabs to figure out what you're doing. Still nothing like the real games with their glowing VFD's however.

Ms. Pac-Man is the most impressive of the Coleco VFD games with changing mazes, better colors, etc. Frogger is probably the most authentic, as diskoboy said. Honestly they're all different from their arcade originals but are all fun because of their design and presentation. Q*bert plays nicely as well however that's a Parker Bros. tabletop, not Coleco.

Galaxian is HUGE for a tabletop and is the only tabletop to run on D batteries. It actually has two VFD's, one for the playfield and one for the player ship, along with a mirror (and the only VFD tabletop to have an 8-way joystick) it's a damn nice conversion considering the limitations of the technology.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    No one talks about the gameplay on these things. I think someone needs to write some reviews!
    I've mentioned this site a couple times but it was in the Technical and Restoration Society. For all your tabletop gaming needs, check out the ultimate all-in-one well designed resource - http://www.miniarcade.com! It's an excellent place to start with lots of pictures and short reviews of each game. Also is a good place to start to figure out what games you'd like and get some background on the history of each company.

I was thinking of requesting to review these tabletops for Retrogaming Times Monthly after my "Titles of Tengen" column runs out of NES Tengen games to review (in a few months).

If you do ever need to repair these games, check out this this thread in the T&RS where I posted some good links for godsey1 to address issues with some tabletops he had. (which later showed up on eBay, some went for low prices too!)

As for finding them in the wild I picked up a Caveman by Tandy for $20 loose at a flea market a couple years ago. I picked up a Pac-Man for $20 at the same time from another seller but it was totally rotted out on the inside from acid and overload damage - but the upper shell had ALL the stickers and was mint.

About a month ago RickyRacoon had an untested Pac-Man tabletop in his Buying & Selling thread that had no stickers except for one, he sold it to me for $10 shipped and it worked perfectly. I swapped the mint upper portion of the one I had onto the working lower portion of the one I bought from him and now have a mint Pac-Man tabletop for $30.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

IMO Ms. Pac-Man is the most Faithful..And I can't play the Zaxxon tabletops for shit..
    Feels better as I thought it was just me.. :P I was trying again the other day.

I like Galaxian the best as it has this silent demo mode...as I leave it on sometimes..

IMO Ms. Pac-Man is the most Faithful..And I can't play the Zaxxon tabletops for shit..
    Feels better as I thought it was just me.. :P

I like Galaxian the best as it has a silent demo mode...as I leave it on sometimes..

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    Already done, although you don't dump the ROMs, doesn't work like that with these, you have to recreate the whole game...

http://madrigal.retrogames.com/
    True you cannot dump these games. The problem I have found is that there is no design data that exists for these old games and the only way to truely emulate them would be to run the systems through a logic analyzer while the game is running. So it is impossible to actually get 100% true recreations of these games currently unless someone out there who cares actually has the hardware to do this. I like the work that the author you point to has done, but most of the really complex handhelds of the era will be much harder to simulate.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    I've mentioned this site a couple times but it was in the Technical and Restoration Society. For all your tabletop gaming needs, check out the ultimate all-in-one well designed resource - http://www.miniarcade.com! It's an excellent place to start with lots of pictures and short reviews of each game. Also is a good place to start to figure out what games you'd like and get some background on the history of each company.

I was thinking of requesting to review these tabletops for Retrogaming Times Monthly after my "Titles of Tengen" column runs out of NES Tengen games to review (in a few months).
    I have been to that site and it is nice for an overview of the games. I was thinking of a more ambitous full review of the games I have. This will take some time and hopefully people will find the reviews here will contain even more information.

If you do ever need to repair these games, check out this this thread in the T&RS where I posted some good links for godsey1 to address issues with some tabletops he had. (which later showed up on eBay, some went for low prices too!)

Another good resource is www.handheldmuseum.com .

Rik has an excellent step by step walk through for repairing a broken Coleco Pacman here:

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Coleco...air/index.html

As for finding them in the wild I picked up a Caveman by Tandy for $20 loose at a flea market a couple years ago. I picked up a Pac-Man for $20 at the same time from another seller but it was totally rotted out on the inside from acid and overload damage - but the upper shell had ALL the stickers and was mint.
    Where do you live? I would be most interested in hearing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Another good resource is www.handheldmuseum.com .

Rik has an excellent step by step walk through for repairing a broken Coleco Pacman here:

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Coleco...air/index.html
    Yeah, I had that URL in the T&RS thread where I was helping godsey1 with his Ms. Pac-Man, very useful if you don't know how to dissassemble the Coleco games.

Where do you live? I would be most interested in hearing.
    Back and forth between two places, Silicon Valley (San Jose) and the central valley, both in California of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never had one of these's Tabletop's back in the day, but I knew a few friends that did, and let me tell you, BOY were they cool! They were really bright at night.

Thier worth every penny for the cherry ones. I have a Donkey Kong one and love it.