Quote Originally Posted by RCM
I don't get how anyone can say the PSP isn't selling well while the DS is doing great. Sony announced a little while back that it shipped 10 million units worldwide. I understand that all of them purty lilttle PSP's haven't been sold but i'll go out on a limb and say the sales must be reasonably close to that number.

Around the same time Reggie stated that DS has sold 8 million units WW. DS is doing great in Japan, they just sold over 2 million consoles there this year. But it's not doing as great elsewhere. I love the GBA line but they have to drop it and advertise that the DS is BC to GBA.
8 million units sold vs. 10 million units shipped is totally apples to oranges. We have no clue how many units were shipped that are waiting to sell, or how many were shipped for the holidays.

However flawed the PSP is at least Sony has their eyes on the prize while Nintendo is pulling a Sega with 3 different handhelds on the market. Focus on DS only Nintendo!
I think it's rather different. Nintendo is moving tons of GBAs still, and tons more DS systems. Unlike the Sega systems, both handhelds are being properly supported.

The GameCube was a sinking ship long before the DS launched, so why they should shut down a popular line just to promote another popular line is beyond me.

Oh yeah, it's interesting that the DS is selling so well in japan. THe combination of a low price point, innovative, and traditional titles is really helping Nintendo. I don't see Revolution doing well over here but I wouldn't be shocked if they pulled an upset and ruled in Japan.
I would be floored if Nintendo captured more than 25% of the Japanese market with the Revolution.

The thing that Nintendo is doing correctly here, by the way, is coming out with a bunch of games for the holiday season that are crazy popular. Between Nintendogs, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and Metroid Pinball, the system has enough cross-genre games to interest just about anyone. The PSP doesn't have the same line up.

Wait 'til next year.

Quote Originally Posted by unwinddesign
C'mon Dan, how many 16 year olds bring their moms and dads to the store to buy a game? That's not something they do. Do 16 year olds (or teenagers in general) want their parents involved in anything they do?
Heh, I do understand that. At the same time, I put off driving until I was 18, so game stores at age 16 automatically came with parent's attached. Since they hated them, I tended to do my shopping online (and thus is the beginnings of the tale of the GOAT Store...)

Ironically, my dad now LOVES going to GameStop and EB Games for movies, and he stops at least once a week and talks about how great they are constantly.

I understand that there is liability issues, and I'm not trying to say that they SHOULD sell it to minors; I was just saying that the demographic of the PSP has difficulty buying said mature games.
Yes, and that I agree with totally.