Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: do you see PSPs collecting dust on store shelves?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic_Pain

Yeah... not looking good for Sony...
    Ok. I understand that to the demographic that DigitalPress reaches, the DS is typically more desirable than the PSP. But you guys have got to stop equating your personal one-town observations with profit/marketability/market share. Open your eyes beyond the GameStop you work for.
    Quit equating my personal observations? How about you swallow your own flame bait?... My intent was to relay my personal observations on the topic. If my observations or opinions offended you then I have to conclude (from my own observations mind you) that you are quite oversensitive on the subject. Sheesh

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Di3heart

I see more people at college with a DS, and yet I still have not seen anyone chilling, and playing a PSP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Ok. I understand that to the demographic that DigitalPress reaches, the DS is typically more desirable than the PSP. But you guys have got to stop equating your personal one-town observations with profit/marketability/market share. Open your eyes beyond the GameStop you work for.
    Quit equating my personal observations? How about you swallow your own flame bait?... My intent was to relay my personal observations on the topic. If my observations or opinions offended you then I have to conclude (from my own observations mind you) that you are quite oversensitive on the subject. Sheesh
    It wasn't flame bait. Your statement of "Yeah... not looking good for Sony" is rooted solely in your own personal observations and has little to no basis in actual sales or market share. It's a trend I've seen with many comments on this board; ignorance of market trends in favor of personal preference. Your comment crossed the line from subjective experience to pseudo-objective market analysis when you made an attempt to forcast the future of the PSP based on your regional one-man experience.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default This thread makes kitty tired.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeeesh, this thread sure got ugly in a hurry

At the end of the day you can point to the numbers and opinions all you like, but from what I see with my own eyes and the observations of others is that the DS has had a bit more time to mature, and it seems to be showing in terms of pure sales.

Fun facts from your local retail slug: since the launch of the PSP in March, our extremely high-volume store has never once sold out of PSPs. In fact, we replenished our PSP stock with another shipment this week, even though we've already got a cabinet filled to the brim. We cannot get rid of our PSPs to save our lives..

The DS this season has been doing well, with several bundled systems selling every day. Mario Kart seems to be the "killer app" at the moment, and recent figures point to half of all Mario Kart owners logging onto Nintendo's Wifi service (source: gamespot.com). That seems to be a promising number that will probably help sales this coming month.

I could make a bunch of ridiculous generalizations, but the trends seem to point to one thing: The PSP and the DS are following the same exact selling trend in the United States, only about 5 months apart. As the DS hit a lull in the months following its launch, so has the PSP now. I own both systems and would prefer to get use out of both of them. When I first got my DS, it collected dust. Now, my PSP collects dust. Eventually, I expect both to be pretty worthwhile investments.

This Christmas, the DS will probably win. Next Christmas, it's anyone's game. Factoring in things like the abundance of M-rated games, average age of user, etc etc really don't seem to have much factual base. But hey, what do I know, maybe my store will get robbed and haul off the 40+ PSPs we're overstocked with

My Complete Collection - Currently expanding my PS2 collection by buying up every five dollar game I see

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a trend I've seen with many comments on this board; ignorance of market trends in favor of personal preference.
    Glad somebody agrees.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It wasn't flame bait. Your statement of "Yeah... not looking good for Sony" is rooted solely in your own personal observations and has little to no basis in actual sales or market share. It's a trend I've seen with many comments on this board; ignorance of market trends in favor of personal preference. Your comment crossed the line from subjective experience to pseudo-objective market analysis when you made an attempt to forcast the future of the PSP based on your regional one-man experience.
    Ah alright I see your point... I'll amend my statement to; Yeah... not looking good for Sony here on planet AP.

Peace once again returns to Hyrule...

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

2011 bump :P

How is the PSP doing now?? Compered to the DS??

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I don't know, but I'm saying this:

I own a PSP (3000 model) and I love it. I'm seriously glad I got this instead of a DS.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

PSP is better than the DS, but only slightly. Both the PSP and DS are no contest better than any of the home consoles.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I wasn't touching my PSP in a very long time. I have two units, an old PSP2000 silver (original model with 5.50 M33-6) and a 04G PSP3000 (the one that came with the Karate Kid movie and LBP.

My PSP2000 has a damaged screen that I need to replace (costs me $50 at DealExtreme), and because of that, I haven't used it in months...ever since Y's Seven was released. Recent, thanks to Kupomogli, I was able to install CFW on my PSP3000, which has given it life once more. I simply love to play ISO images of my own games instead of using UMD discs. Simply fantastic.

Overall, it's a great handheld, but I've come to notice that many stores aren't stocking or even selling the system. Makes me want to purchase a third unit as a backup...
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    My PSP2000 has a damaged screen that I need to replace (costs me $50 at DealExtreme), and because of that, I haven't used it in months...ever since Y's Seven was released. Recent, thanks to Kupomogli, I was able to install CFW on my PSP3000, which has given it life once more. I simply love to play ISO images of my own games instead of using UMD discs. Simply fantastic
    Wait... you can do that? I thought that wasn't possible with 3000 models.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the Psp were lowered to $100 it would start to move. And if by some miracle it got lowered to $79 or lower it would literally fly off shelves. I still haven't gotten one so I'm definitely in the market for a 3000. But I have no interest in the Go.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    2011 bump :P

How is the PSP doing now?? Compered to the DS??
    Even though it's now starting to come to a close, it ended up doing amazingly well for their first time out. Never before has a competitor done so well going up against Nintendo's dominance in handheld gaming. The PSP has nearly 50% of the install base Nintendo accomplished with the DS as of early this year. And when you take into account that the PSP was rolled out to much of the world a good bit later than the DS (Especially in Europe) and ended up drying up significantly earlier than the DS market has outside of Japan, it's even more impressive how successful it's run was for quite a while.

Other than the Sega Game Gear for a couple of years, no one has ever managed to even be a blip on the radar for most consumers in this business beyond Nintendo. Sony not only made a splash, but they gave Nintendo some serious competition and created a good beachhead in this marketplace for them to work off of with the NGP and other portable devices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last sales figures I heard was that the DS has sold in the region of 120 million and the PSP around 50-60 million.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    I wasn't touching my PSP in a very long time. I have two units, an old PSP2000 silver (original model with 5.50 M33-6) and a 04G PSP3000 (the one that came with the Karate Kid movie and LBP.

My PSP2000 has a damaged screen that I need to replace (costs me $50 at DealExtreme), and because of that, I haven't used it in months...ever since Y's Seven was released. Recent, thanks to Kupomogli, I was able to install CFW on my PSP3000, which has given it life once more. I simply love to play ISO images of my own games instead of using UMD discs. Simply fantastic.

Overall, it's a great handheld, but I've come to notice that many stores aren't stocking or even selling the system. Makes me want to purchase a third unit as a backup...
    ...and if you do, you should invest in a Go. The TV out feature and ability to tether a PS3 controller to it is simply awesome. Dropping images on that is super easy, and the storage space ensures you'll have quite the library at your disposal. (Thanks, Vaccy!)
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

But there's no way to put legitimately-owned UMDs on a Go, without buying them again, isn't there?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

I gave myself a laugh with this thread today. I didn't realize it was a 6 year bump and people were talking about the PSP not selling at $200 and I was like Yeah, Duh!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    But there's no way to put legitimately-owned UMDs on a Go, without buying them again, isn't there?
    Yes, there is. You have to have a CFW model system and set it to read from UMD instead of memory stick when plugged up USB. All you do is open it up with the computer, then drag and drop the ISO to the hard drive, then transfer them to the Go. Easy as pie. I did this with all of my games with no problems whatsoever.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You must've missed the word "legitimately".

To answer his question, no, there isn't a legitimate way to do it. You have to rebuy your UMD's as digital copies through the PSN store. And a very high percentage of the library, including many great PSP classics, are unavailable on the PSN store.

I keep a 1000 and a 3000 around for the UMD exclusives (And a few games, like Pinball Hall of Fame: The William's Collection that are available on PSN but which I'd just play the console versions of if I wanted to play on a tv).

And I keep a Go around for those games actually available as downloads that I'd like to be able to play on a television with a controller. I hate downloads, but every last one of them I have is cheap as a UMD. And I also have the digital copies on my 1000 and 3000 (And the NGP someday). So I'm not too worried about them going poof someday. And even if they did, it won't be too bad rebuying them as UMD's down the road since it's not a huge collection of downloads (Only a dozen or so) or a lot of rare games.