Thread: Choice of Classic Gaming Computers: IBM vs. Apple

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Choice of Classic Gaming Computers: IBM vs. Apple

I am going to buy a classic computer for gaming. I already own an Apple IIe Platinum, but I will need certain costly accessories before I can certify it as a proper gaming machine. But I am quite partial to IBM PC hardware and have the chance to buy an incredible PC. Here are my choices:

Apple IIe Platinum - I already have a DuoDisk Drive, but don't know whether it works. For this I will need the Apple IIe Color Composite Monitor, a Semi Virtual Diskette, two Mockingboards, an old-style Apple II disk drive controller (for the SVD) and an Apple II joystick and Apple II paddles. I will also need an external amplifier and mixer for the Mockingboards. Finally, I will need to get a new desk because of the height of the Apple II. I will only be able to transfer floppies using the SVD with a laptop.

IBM PC Model 5150 - I am in negotiations to buy an IBM PC Model 5150, with revised motherboard, fully populated 256KB on the motherboard and using the last, 10/27/82 BIOS. It will also come with the rare IBM 5161 Expansion Chassis, which adds a 10MB MFM Hard Drive and eight more ISA slots in addition to the five slots in the PC. It will also come with an IBM PC CGA card, a 5153 Color Monitor in great condition, 5152 IBM PC Dot Matrix printer, IBM Parallel and Gameport cards, two full-height Floppy Drives + controller, multifunction card and Quadlink (Apple II emulator) card. For this computer, I will need to obtain an IBM MDA card and 5151 monochrome monitor as well as an Asychronous Communications (Serial) Adapter and Joystick. Later I may obtain a sound card like a Sound Blaster 1.0 and a Roland MPU-IPC(-T) midi interface, but many games that take advantage of these cards require a faster PC than the 5150.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to build both, and even if I did, I only have the room for one. What a problem to have!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Well I got an Apple IIe for $3 and I do most of my classic PC gaming through DosBox nowadays which is free so I'm not sure what to tell ya. I even bought a IIc with a monitor, a printer, and two boxes of software for $20 from a fellow DP member, and that's suited all my Apple gaming needs as well.

I guess I don't understand the need for those specific machines. You can find an old PC for less than $10 in any thrift store.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Well I would forget the IBM. CGA sucks. If you want to get down with some classic DOS gaming, build a DOS rig. I have a 486 DX4-100 for DOS gaming. If you want to go the XT route, which I can understand as an XT was my first computer, then at least upgrade it with a VGA card and get something a little bit newer than a 5150. Build your own XT. I still see them at thrift stores.

If you want to go the Apple route, I recommend a Apple IIgs. That's what I have for Apple gaming. I have other Apples, but I like the GS the best. It's more comfortable to use since it doesn't have an integrated keyboard. Then you can get either a compact flash card for it to use as a virtual hard drive, or you can get an IDE card with HD. You can make disks using ADT and/or a terminal program like ZLink using a super serial card.

Flack, using DOSBox is like playing classic games on an emulator.

Well, thats my 2 cents.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    Well I got an Apple IIe for $3 and I do most of my classic PC gaming through DosBox nowadays which is free so I'm not sure what to tell ya. I even bought a IIc with a monitor, a printer, and two boxes of software for $20 from a fellow DP member, and that's suited all my Apple gaming needs as well.

I guess I don't understand the need for those specific machines. You can find an old PC for less than $10 in any thrift store.
    I think it would be cool to have an old IBM computer with the clickey-clack keyboard. Another one of those things that emulation can't recreate. I would go for the IBM over the Apple setup (I can't believe I'm saying that ) just because most cool games for the Apple were ported over to PC whereas I think there are more PC only titles.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar

I think it would be cool to have an old IBM computer with the clickey-clack keyboard. Another one of those things that emulation can't recreate. I would go for the IBM over the Apple setup (I can't believe I'm saying that ) just because most cool games for the Apple were ported over to PC whereas I think there are more PC only titles.
    Actually i still use one of those old IBM keyboards. Things today just aren't built with that level of quality.

Honestly from those two choices i'd say take the apple. The IBM machine isn't special enough.

Although if you want a real gaming PC go get an Amiga.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

I have a clicky clack KB for my DOSBox too. The freakin thing is METAL. I agree, things arent made with that level of quality anymore.

Chris

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njiska
    go get an Amiga.

Also similar and awesome are Atari ST getups .. both are the absolute pinnacle of computer gaming for popping in 3.5" floppies

Speedball 2, Xenon 2, Black Tiger, Populous, Dungeon Master, Exile, Lemmings... etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Choice of Classic Gaming Computers: IBM vs. Apple

Personally, I'd like to get any ol' IBM machine, even one that looks like the 5150 (if it were my choice, I'd go with one of the all-in-one units, but still, the 5150's not too bad looking).

The key here is that I have a number of games on DOS, and very few for Apple systems, outside my lump of Atarisoft games, anyway.

Yes, I also have some Atari ST and Amiga software! Yikes, so many games...so few actual platforms to run them on.

Hmm...emulated Atari ST Beast Buster-ing...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    I agree and that doesn't bother me. I also have a 486 DX4/100 as well as several real Apple boxes, and I enjoy gaming on all of them, but sometimes I play games through emulation too. Doesn't really bother me.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Exactly. I live in a small apartment and don't have ROOM for all these systems. I just emulate my classic Apple, IBM, Amiga, and other computer games. These days, the emulators are just about perfect and better in some regards.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I myself am a fan of the Apple era of gaming - CGA does indeed bite the big one, and IMO isn't worth the time. Of course, I kinda think that C64 / 128 gaming is even better than either of those...

And re: Apple IIGS - back in the day I found that several Apple II games would run way too fast on a IIGS - not sure if there was a "Moslo" type of setting for it, but I never knew of one at the time.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I agree and that doesn't bother me. I also have a 486 DX4/100 as well as several real Apple boxes, and I enjoy gaming on all of them, but sometimes I play games through emulation too. Doesn't really bother me.
    It's also a lot more similar than any other form of emulation as the input devices are essentially the same, even after all these years. The display just has gotten sharper (and hopefully a bit bigger).

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer
    I myself am a fan of the Apple era of gaming - CGA does indeed bite the big one, and IMO isn't worth the time. Of course, I kinda think that C64 / 128 gaming is even better than either of those...

And re: Apple IIGS - back in the day I found that several Apple II games would run way too fast on a IIGS - not sure if there was a "Moslo" type of setting for it, but I never knew of one at the time.
    Yeah, you have to boot the Apple in normal mode (1 MHz) instead of 4 MHz. There are also a small handful of games that won't work on a IIgs.

Chris

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, you have to boot the Apple in normal mode (1 MHz) instead of 4 MHz. There are also a small handful of games that won't work on a IIgs.

Chris
    you mean instead of 2.8Mhz, right? IIgs didn't run faster than that without an accellerator board(which costs big bucks if you want one now).. My IIgs has a 7Mhz Accelerator card.

Personally, I enjoy playing games on my Apple IIgs more than my Wyse 286.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPsycho

Chris
    you mean instead of 2.8Mhz, right? IIgs didn't run faster than that without an accellerator board(which costs big bucks if you want one now).. My IIgs has a 7Mhz Accelerator card.

Personally, I enjoy playing games on my Apple IIgs more than my Wyse 286.
    He may have been confusing it with an Apple IIc+, which has a 4MHz accelerator.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The Apple ][ was USAs greatest, according to 'Triumph of the Nerds' video, and Electronic Games magazine (1985 issue, after the re-naming of the magazine which I cannot remember the title) mentions that the Apple ][ runs about 15000 programs. I love the Apple but here in Europe the C-64 was king of the hill. Followed by St and Amiga.

Nevertheless, I own a TeraDrive, which is an IBM 286 and MegaDrive, so I can play Space Rogue on the PC and Sonic on the MD at a flick of a switch.