Thread: Looking for some software to catalog my collection

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Looking for some software to catalog my collection

I haven't updated the one on IGN in a while and I was thinking of starting over. Do you guys know of any software that I can catalog my games with a barcode reader? My brother had an old one in his room that he let my have. It would be much easier to do with that than typing them all in. I'm also looking for a program that I could do the same but with books and my game guides.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a few posts floating around here, but with the search broken...

collectorz.com has all that you're looking for, complete with hefty price tag.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, I remember looking at those posts a while ago. I tried the search, but I didn't realize it was broken. That was stupid of me not to realize that.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Become familiar with Microsoft Access. Greatest videogame databasing software I've found yet. You can set up data entry tables like in excel, but it expands on Excel with an infinate possibility of queries. Create neat little charts, search for games by using one/many of the fields you entered in, and basically create a personal videogame databasing software.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shoes23
    Become familiar with Microsoft Access. Greatest videogame databasing software I've found yet. You can set up data entry tables like in excel, but it expands on Excel with an infinate possibility of queries. Create neat little charts, search for games by using one/many of the fields you entered in, and basically create a personal videogame databasing software.
    I have Access since it was part of a bundle deal from my school, but I've never played around with it.

Would it have support for images (screenshots/covers)? Internet links? Easy publish to HTML?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, do any of ya'll already have an Access Database up and running that you wouldn't mind sharing?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just finished taking a database class, so I could easily use access. The thing is that I wanted to try using this barcode reader my brother gave me. Access would require me to input all the info by hand. I could do that, but I want to use my new toy.

I was checking out sourceforge for software and came across Koha. It's an open source library management system. I'm trying to figure out if it does what I want. Some of the features in it look interesting.

All I'm really looking for is something that would let me use that barcode reader and then would use that to get the item's information off of the net. I might play around with this Koha software and if that doesn't do what I want, I might try that collectorz software. Has anyone here tried that software?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by erehwon
    Has anyone here tried that software?
    I tried the demo and was disappointed that it wouldn't automatically grab covers or anything from a central database (like DVDProfiler does).

With DVDProfiler, you can get covers even with the free version, but they're low resolution. Registering gives you the full size covers (though i just registered because I loved the program so much...all of the perks were just a nice bonus). I wish they'd do a similar piece of software for console games (if you've ever used DVDProfiler then I'm sure you'll understand how awesome it is to have all of that info at your fingertips).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

With any database back end, you can create any kind of front end to go with it. I use Access for the back end and ASP/PHP pages for the front end. I can then create any type of custom report I could ever want, all through the Internet. The three most common ones I use is 1, all game list, 2, query for a specific game (to see if I have it and possibly its location), and 3, export text-only lists out to my PalmPilot for hunting purposes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think there are quite fa few people on this board that aren't particularly happy with collectorz. They previously syphoned off data from other sites (Moby, All Game Guide) without permission and I personally had a sour business deal with them with them trying to "buy" my database.

Digital Press, my site (click the image in my signature) and rfgeneration (www.rfgeneration.com) are all good online collector resources that don't have the corporate overlordship of a site like IGN.

Of course I'm partial to my site...but that's just me

Incidently we are starting to look at the feasibility of building our own software to directly access the VGR database...just like a DVD Profiler type set-up.