Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Xbox360 owners-sound off- happy?sad?good/bad?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unless I'm wrong, I don't think that there's anything wrong with the core system and a memory card to start with, getting the harddrive later. I have no plans to play on Live and backwards compatibilty isn't an issue because I own an Xbox. They berate you because they want one too.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default You wanna know...

There are no hardware issues accept a little heat (if there are I bet you dropped it, as these things are the heaviest sytem to date). You can cook bacon on the power supply...really!!!

The games are awesome at 720P, heck Gaunlet in the Arcade looked good. Plugged a couple of older Xbox games in (Halo) and they looked much better, though dated compared to the newer titles.

Loving Kameo...the graphical details are far and above anything previous gen. Quake 4 is solid but a good PC would probably do better (no slowdown on the 360 version though...don't have to wait for HD or worry about memory, etc.). Have a few more games to try...

DVD playback was disppointing, I don't think it upconverts the DVD picture like it seems to do with Xbox games...

Gonna see what I can stream now...

Having issues powering the system on with the remote....

I'm loving mine. Looks like good games will be few and far between for at least a few months...

Later,
    Trebuken

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdc
    Unless I'm wrong, I don't think that there's anything wrong with the core system and a memory card to start with, getting the harddrive later. I have no plans to play on Live and backwards compatibilty isn't an issue because I own an Xbox. They berate you because they want one too.
    Eh...I think they do it because they want to conform to the internet's consensus (or something like that). I bought a core + a hard drive, which is of course a worse deal than the premium system. But for me, it was either a core now or waiting indefinitely, and it was a compromise I was willing to make.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No. Blame the 5-billion dollar(?) debt from Sega's terrible mishandling of the Saturn.
    1. They didn't botch it like that in JP.

2. That didn't kill the DC. The DC was profiable for a short period before software sales got raped by Sony bitches and software pirates.

3. If you are trashing Sega's consoles or games (as opposed to their moronic management) then go to hell. Or at least shut the @#$% up.

Sony destroyed the game industry and that's what happened. If people are going to keep saying that my opinions are nonsense, they can feel free, but they are just proving they have no damn taste in games.

I had gotten over this kind of posting, but then suddenly someone cracks on Sega. DO NOT TRASH SEGA, EVER.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone else tried plugging in an iPod during gameplay? It's AMAZING.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_DEEM
    wait so is there a way to stream videos without haveing a windows media pc? that is one feture i would love but so far only have the connect and can only stream mp3s and pics, but i have so many videos i would love to be able to do that
    No you need MCE, and 2005 at that (I think). So far the video playback that I've tried is hit and miss. I know it will not stream any DivX or Xvid videos at all. All WMVs will work. Its just hard to tell what video is in what format. I need to find a utility to convert DVD's/other formats into WMV because its 100% guaranteed to work. If I could find something to do it in "batches" would be even better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Re: You wanna know...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken
    Plugged a couple of older Xbox games in (Halo) and they looked much better, though dated compared to the newer titles.
    Better? In what ways?

That quote caught my attention. I figured the old games would run and look exactly the same.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd
    Plugged a couple of older Xbox games in (Halo) and they looked much better, though dated compared to the newer titles.
    Better? In what ways?

That quote caught my attention. I figured the old games would run and look exactly the same.
    As far as I know it upscales the games to 720p. Possibly. Correct me if i'm wrong.
    Currently collecting Amiga games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

I'm pretty much happy with the puirchase right now. Only game I have is RR6 which is, in general, fun. Nothing sensational but fun otherwise. Fired up Halo on it and it looked nice to me but since the last time I played it was on a standard crt tv with composite conncetion so yeah its going to look better on a 480p tv now.

I like the nifty wireless controller as I was reading a magizine on the couch and decided to play and just hit the button on the controller and was instantly playing RR6. All the while just sitting on the couch-never leaving my feet. Such lazyness.

My biggest complaint would be some better games rather than lackluster ports of EA games and stuff found on other consoles. Something original please, like a new title instead of some old rehashed franchise.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd
    Better? In what ways?

I believe this should be talked about more. The Xbox games are upscaled to 720P, and the better resolution just provides for a better picture. I think I am also seeing improvements in explosions and such, things that aren't polygon driven. The colors seem improved but that could be my imagination. I'll experiment some more. I think I'm going to go an get Half-Life 2....think it'll be just as good on the 360 as the 360 games are...

Later,
    Trebuken

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default definately better

All the older games look BETTER by a longshot. Crimson Skies looks like a new game. 720P is the bomb. I dont have an HD, but I do have component cables. I am running on a 36 in Panasonic TV and Halo 2 looks great. Is it a mindblowing difference? No, but you definately can tell a difference. I think down the road when they support some more games, people will see. I can tell a big difference.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So yea got mine played for 5-7 hrs including watching 2 dvds on it. Worked fucking great. Call of Duty looked amazing, PDZ *drools*. Didn't try my other 3 games though.

Went to play Call of Duty the next morning. Boom game freezes. So I try a diff game, freezes again. Play PDZ for 30 mins and its glitching and freezing like crazy.

Over time its gotten worse and worse. Now the system barely starts up maybe 10-15 secs worth.

Was on tech support for 3 hrs and basiclly they are sending me a box and i have to put it in and they will fix it and send it back. So it will be like 10-15 days until I can play again. Sucks a lot but im not like crying over it. We wont get any in at EB till prob after that so I am just sending it in. I am bummed but...idk I will talk to my manager on monday and see what he says.

But what I played was amazing and it looks great on the HDTV.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

works well, i think there is an image issue with the rca video standard cable that came with it though.

Have PDzero... system linked my 360 with two other xboxes (halo and black) and they played PERFECTLY together... pain to get maps and updates to 360 for H2 though...

SO far, no complaints... just need a Big ass bid LCD now...

chaChing!

nice system.... time will tell...
    GRAB that rarity away from the LOSER in front of you at that garage sale... they do not DESERVE it

Life is short... Take what you can...

"mine mine mine"...D. Duck

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay....now I'm totally confused.

I thought that THE big issue with the 360 is that it DIDN'T play anything other than the absolute latest Xbox games.......and yet it's running Halo and Crimson Skies?!?!?!

So it IS totally backwards compatible? Both core and premium? Tell me now before I dump my Xbox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

So it IS totally backwards compatible? Both core and premium? Tell me now before I dump my Xbox.
    You need a hard drive to run Xbox 1 games, so a Core with no hard drive is not backwards compatible.

Here is Microsoft's backwards compatibility list.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/back...ygameslist.htm

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay....now I'm totally confused.

I thought that THE big issue with the 360 is that it DIDN'T play anything other than the absolute latest Xbox games.......and yet it's running Halo and Crimson Skies?!?!?!

It is partially backwards compatible. About 200 titles work, and some (all maybe) upconvert to 720p.

Apparently, this list will increase in time, so long as you have a hard drive and silver(free) Xbox live connection.

The 200 in the list are an odd assortment of games. From monster hits like Halo 2, all the way to Barbie's adventure and Deathrow. I guess when the emulation works for one, it will work for a few others simultaneously.
    "That is the most kiddiest thing I ever heard." -ROTS MKII January 2 2008

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by devils advocate
    I guess when the emulation works for one, it will work for a few others simultaneously.
    I'd agree with you, but the handling of the Unreal Engine seems VERY hit and miss.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by THATinkjar
    Quote Originally Posted by devils advocate
    I guess when the emulation works for one, it will work for a few others simultaneously.
    I'd agree with you, but the handling of the Unreal Engine seems VERY hit and miss.
    You're right. I had some odd issues in Rainbow six, and also some abnormalities in Halo one.

I guess some of the code isn't perfect.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back on topic,

I love my 360. The launch games are about what I expected. Call of Duty seems to be the standout for me.

I was already a huge Live user, and the expanded interface just makes it that much better.

I've had no problems with mine so far. I even left it on for two days straight by accident.

The controller layout is great. I love the ability to turn the machine on and off right from the controller...... Now if it would go to the beer fridge for me! I have noticed the D-pad might have some response problems. I would say this pads wireless abilities are on par with the wavebird, but you also get the rumble feature which for some, the wavebird sorely lacked.

I don't find it any smaller than Xbox 1, it is in fact, heavier. It cosmetically is much nicer. No arguements from my wife about where I put it! I guess the concave design, gives it the illusion of being smaller, but when the 2 machines are side by side, it's a negligable difference. I'm not sure how that will bode in Japan.

The user interfaces are top notch. Seperate profiles for people are a breeze, and I love the marketplace. While I probably will not by skins etc; I will certainly make use of the free down loadable demos. A great idea for the developers as well. I already purchased Kameo, just by how good the demo was. I had no interest before that. Expect a long wait for the files though. I have a T1 equivalent and the Kameo demo took about 45 minutes to download.

I've heard that it gets hot, but neither mine nor my best friends does. We both run them through conditioners and keep them well ventilated, on flat surfaces. The power brick is a monster. It is larger than any of my power bars.

Loading times are good. Not great, but really good. The only time I was even a little frustrated was retrying a race/event in PGR3.

The hard drive while 20 gigs, really comes to you at around 12-13 free. Download the Kameo demo at nearly 1 gig, and the space starts dwindling quickly. I can see MS will start selling upgrades soon.

One small nit picky complaint I have are the DVD cases that the games come in. It seems that while making the change to a transluscent green, they managed to find a way to use less plastic in the mold. Result? The game cases feel flimsy. While good for the environmentalists, not good from a father with small children point of view.

One small positive point. I don't think I have ever seen a system come with as good of quality cabling as this one. Top notch cables for AV/HD, power and even a lengthy pice of ethernet included.

Verdict? Great system MS! Let's hope the PS3 and Revolution are this good, and it will be a great new gen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like a really fun system but I will wait till Xbox isn't having any good games coming out. I also want a few more exclusives and a cheaper price.