Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Castlevania: Curse of Darkness

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

One of the guys @ The CV Dungeon Forums swears up and down that CoD is "shitty," but he loves LoI. I've yet to play it, as I'm busy with Xbox games - like Ninja Gaiden

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    One of the guys @ The CV Dungeon Forums swears up and down that CoD is "shitty," but he loves LoI. I've yet to play it, as I'm busy with Xbox games - like Ninja Gaiden
    It's similarities to LoI aren't that plentiful outside of the character designs, evironments, HUDs, and GUIs. It has a feel like LoI in terms of the control scheme and movement, but the new IC system completely makes CoD a new beast. Neither for good nor ill, it just make the gameplay different.

I personally loved LoI(in the minority, yes), and I played it from start to finish, almost non-stop. I played CoD sparsely for a few days and it got lost in the shuffle. I'll go back to it eventually, I'm sure, but it just didn't have that quality that grabbed me like LoI.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

I was feeling a bit bored and bumped into this thread.
    I got lod for xmas this year and didn't give it much of a chance (though i didn't hate it as much as the first one)

I played it for a bit today and I have to say they actually put some effort into it unlike the crappy zelda and metrod 3d remakes. my only comnplaint is its easy to get lost and the map system is a bit fruity (it rotates too much) but its a game I may pick up again I really love the steal option and all the items you can pick up/forge.
    they're almost at the point where I could enjoy a 3d game (almost)

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I've been having more fun playing this then LoI.

Anyhow, somequestions. I'm in the temple, is there anywhere to get more Steel to get the next Armor (No. 14)? I have the Lorica right now and was just wondering if there was anything stronger yet.

Also deciding on upgrading my Leaflee to the Killer or the Honey Bee. My battle-type is a Juggernaut now, deciding (any suggestions) on his Final before I restart with some the shards.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

Default Re: Castlevania: Curse of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Possible
    The level design is more dynamic with better rooms and more to explore. The backgrounds are beautiful, simply breathtaking in places. The fighting engine is pretty much the same, but much simpler with a sword than it was with the whip.
    are we even playing the same game?

The level design is nothing but room-hallway-room with some winding caverns thrown in. Every room is basically an empty square with a few decorations (either on the wall or behind a barricade). At least LoI had stuff like tables and ruins in the areas you had to fight around.

And the graphics are bad. For example, the underground cavern area looks like an attraction at Disney Land. One straight path with nothing in it. The few set peices it has are stuck behind barriers. To make it worse, their idea of making a different area you can see but can't get to is simply slapping a low res texture onto a wall to simulate a separate part of the cave. It looks really stupid.

And outside the castle you can't see anything. The draw distance is pretty short. The entire game screams "bland levels".

The fighting is OK, seeing as how you have familiars and can use different weapons.

Banana (Level 7) segagamer4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Having played both LOI (beating that) and having played half way through COD. The game is a huge improvement over LOI, but there are still issues, with the environments, as beautiful as they are, often times I find myself, thinking, haven't I been here before. The rooms and areas, can get confusing, because alot of them look alike. The enemies are cool, the controls are better than LOI, imo. The overall game is much improved over LOI, but there is still work that needs to be done.
    To be this good takes AGES

To be this great takes SEGA!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dtolley
    PSN
    dtolley

I'll have to say that I love SOTN and I like the others on Nin's handhelds. I will say that I was almost totally turned off Castlevania when LOI came out. I bought it, played it for 5 mins and handed the controller to my buddy. He played through and beat it, but we both felt as though we had been better off playing frisbee with the disk. I recently bought COD when Circuit City ran the $8.96 deals on their games. I refuse to play it until someone I know has time to play it and can assure me that it's not as big a turd as LOI.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Just wondering if anyone's still playing this. Also, anyone here creating all the different final level Devils, and anyone have any particular Devils they use more then others?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

I got a mint copy of Symphony of the Night for christmas so now I'm playing through that. I also downloaded Castlevania 4 on the Wii VC since I never played that one for some reason. CoD was awesome, though. I hope they keep up the good work in this series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    In a totally unrelated incident, this jerk is now banned for life. Er, if I'm thinking of the right person. He would keep complaining that LoI was "terrible" but would keep playing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Silly question, has anyone here, or is anyone, getting all 4 or 5 different final forms of their Innocent Devils?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played through this game and beat it not too long ago. IMO it's the best rendition of CastleVania in 3D yet. The RPG elements couples with Innocent Devils and weapons/armor creation really made this an enjoyable experience.

Once I'm done with a few more games, I'm going to replay CoD in Trevor Belmont mode. I'm looking forward to it.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I've recently acquired this game and have been playing it off and on. The innocent devils system is interesting, the "steal" component is both challenging and rewarding (very much like a puzzle, figuring out how to steal from a lot of enemies), and the "crafting" system is fairly interesting and varied.

As with all Castlevanias nowadays, it can be a chore to find all the items / components that enemies drop (or that you can steal) - but overall the game is pretty fun. The fact that you're not limited to just a whip (like LoI made it) is a big factor in making this game a lot more fun than LoI, which was pretty boring, I'll agree.

I like doing the punch move that makes Hector breakdance all around the floor - it's fun. You have to have at least the third punch weapon, though.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?