Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 565

Thread: Complete RPG List for the PS2 - Updated 2017

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Banned

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,939
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Complete RPG List for the PS2 - Updated 2017

    xxxxx
    Last edited by lendelin; 09-07-2017 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Update

  2. #2
    Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    The Electric Quarter, NH
    Posts
    4,934
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Tagging this for future reference.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

    DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

  3. #3
    Peach (Level 3)
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Abilene, Tx - the edge of civ
    Posts
    698
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Drakengard is probably borderline.
    IGN claims that Future Tactics: The Uprising is a SRPG.

    Both listed on RPGamer:
    Dark Angel: Vampire Apocalypse
    Magic Pengel: The Quest for Color.

  4. #4
    ServBot (Level 11)
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Columbus/OHIO
    Posts
    3,070
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Maybe...

    Monster Hunter?

    Maybe...

    Later,
    Trebuken

  5. #5
    Banned

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,939
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Tylerwillis and Trebuken, great checking! Thanks a lot.

    I updated the list. Future Tactics, Magic Pengel, Dark Angel, and Monster Hunter are added, and I put Drakengard in the Borderline category.

    I missed these games indeed, but one game was unknown to me and I had to look it up: Dark Angel Vampire Apocalypse. One of the early RPGs I completely overlooked.

    At the end of its lifecycle, the PS2 will have more RPGs than the PS1, probably 100 to 110 which is pretty amazing. (around 80 PS2 exclusives) I never thought the number of RPGs for the PS1 would be topped.

  6. #6
    ServBot (Level 11)
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Columbus/OHIO
    Posts
    3,070
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default One More...

    EB/Gamestop are having their Buy 2 Get 1 sale this weekend so I went RPG hunting (your fault for giving me the idea). Came across one more (yes I bought it), that isn't on the list...
    It's borderline...though I might lean toward putting it in an action category, I think it could work as an RPG.

    Devil Kings.

    Though I think if this were included you'd then have to look at the Castlevania Games, and maybe even Dynasty Warriors...and then Devil May Cry....

    Maybe someone who had played it can be more definitive about it.

    Later,
    Trebuken

  7. #7
    Strawberry (Level 2)
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    404
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    squidlike

    Default

    Thanks for this. I have been looking for a good RPG list.

  8. #8
    Banned

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,939
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Re: One More...

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken
    Devil Kings.

    Though I think if this were included you'd then have to look at the Castlevania Games, and maybe even Dynasty Warriors...and then Devil May Cry....

    Maybe someone who had played it can be more definitive about it.

    Later,
    Trebuken
    Devil Kings is a straightforward Dynasty Warriors clone, it is as clonelike as it can get. If included you'll end up with all Dynasty Warriors as a 'RPG,' and then there is indeed no line anymore for Onimusha and Devil May Cry and possibly even Madden NFL.

    I'll buy Devil Kings as well.

    I added the two RPG Makers (II and 3). A tough call as well, but if you can 'design' your own RPG and play around with it, it is a RPG. If it looks, walks, and quacks like a duck, it should be probably on a duck list.

  9. #9
    Banned

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,939
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Added Gladius as a Strategy RPG.

  10. #10
    Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    shoes23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Watertown SD
    Posts
    577
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I was under the impression that Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone was an action game. I think that it needs to be removed.

  11. #11
    ServBot (Level 11) swlovinist's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Gamers Paradise
    Posts
    3,607
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

    Default Romance Games, PTO IV, Naval Ops games?

    Excellent list for people. I had a question, where to the Romance Games, PTO IV, and Naval Ops Warship Gunner and Commander fit?
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

  12. #12
    Great Puma (Level 12) sisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    4,824
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I highly disagree with Future Tactics.

    It's more of a Worms clone than anything. In fact, it doesn't really have ANY RPG elements what so ever. If it simply MUST be in the list, put it in the borderline section.

    Also, some fancy highlighting might be nice (eg red for bad games, green for good ones)

  13. #13
    Banned

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,939
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sisko
    I highly disagree with Future Tactics.

    It's more of a Worms clone than anything. In fact, it doesn't really have ANY RPG elements what so ever. If it simply MUST be in the list, put it in the borderline section.

    Also, some fancy highlighting might be nice (eg red for bad games, green for good ones)
    Future Tactics is certainly a unique blend of RPG-strategy elements and action lacking 'traditional' subtle and sophisticated movement calculation, but it is still more on the strategy side: a turn-based battle system and limited movement justifies to put it in the strategy genre albeit it is a new take on it.

    About indicating bad and good games: I'm not going there due to unavoidable BIG discussions. Someones FF X is someones Orphen. The intent was just to deliver a nice, ready to go cut-and-paste list, and then everyone is free to pick and or to delete. It isn't a popal, ultimate list by any means, just complete and inclusionary as possible. Borderline cases and very thin lines between genres are a given.

  14. #14
    Banned

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,939
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shoes23
    I was under the impression that Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone was an action game. I think that it needs to be removed.
    Thanks guy. You're right. I put it in the borderline category. I have the game, read previews and reviews, but never played it; I put it just from a feeling level and past misperceptions on the list, but checking reviews again it is certainly not a RPG; otherwise Devil May Cry and the two Lord of the Rings by EA should be included as well.

    You could even argue it shouldn't be in the borderline category, but well, let the feelings dominate if in doubt.

  15. #15
    Great Puma (Level 12) sisko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    4,824
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lendelin
    Quote Originally Posted by sisko
    I highly disagree with Future Tactics.

    It's more of a Worms clone than anything. In fact, it doesn't really have ANY RPG elements what so ever. If it simply MUST be in the list, put it in the borderline section.

    Also, some fancy highlighting might be nice (eg red for bad games, green for good ones)
    Future Tactics is certainly a unique blend of RPG-strategy elements and action lacking 'traditional' subtle and sophisticated movement calculation, but it is still more on the strategy side: a turn-based battle system and limited movement justifies to put it in the strategy genre albeit it is a new take on it.
    Then by that logic, Worms 3D definitely needs to be added to the list, and likely Worms Forts (haven't played the latter).

  16. #16
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    197
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Good list.

    *Tagged for future reference*
    Currently Playing: Limbo, CoD: MW2
    XBL: Kazaam McFresh

  17. #17
    Peach (Level 3) yok-dfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Below Sea Level
    Posts
    740
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Re: Romance Games, PTO IV, Naval Ops games?

    Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist
    Excellent list for people. I had a question, where to the Romance Games, PTO IV, and Naval Ops Warship Gunner and Commander fit?
    If Naval Ops Warship gunner makes it to the list, then Seek & Destroy should be added too. That is much more like an RPG than the former...

  18. #18
    Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Oobgarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Milford. Ohio.
    Posts
    8,084
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

    Default

    A couple notes before I list what I have in the DP Online Guide master file:

    It's tough to categorize games now that they've started to borrow RPG elements to give the title some length and depth. I've tried to categorize them as best as I can, but I'd love to hear what everyone thinks.

    I have Magic Pengel and games of that ilk (like Monster Rancher) listed as Life Development titles since they focus on creating/raising a character and fighting with the a'la Pokemon Stadium. Magic Pengel blurs the line...it has RPG elements in it, but they aren't the main focus of the game. Even the package classifies it as an adventure game.

    I never saw the Fullmetal Alchemist games as RPGs. They're more like beat-em-up type games, IMO.

    Heroes of Might and Magic and Gladius are what I consider 'Action Strategy', or what the DP guide refers to as 'Battle-centric'. I wouldn't consider them full-blown RPGs. Could Future Tactics fit in here?

    Anyway, here's the list, broken down by classifications.

    First Person RPGs:

    Eternal Ring
    King's Field: The Ancient City

    MMO RPGs:

    EverQuest: Online Adventures (I'd consider the 7-day trial more of a demo)
    EverQuest: Online Adventures: Frontiers
    Final Fantasy XI: [w/Hard Disk Drive]
    Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia
    Monster Hunter

    Third-Person Real-Time RPGs, Hack-and-Slash:

    .Hack 1: Infection
    .Hack 2: Mutation
    .Hack 3: Outbreak
    .Hack 4: Quarantine
    Arc the Lad: End of Darkness
    Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
    Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
    Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II
    Bard's Tale, The: Song of the Bard
    Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
    Champions of Norrath: Realms of Everquest
    Champions: Return to Arms
    Dark Angel: Vampire Apocalypse
    Dark Cloud
    Dark Cloud 2
    Demon Stone: Forgotten Realms
    Dual Hearts
    Evergrace
    Forever Kingdom
    Legion: Legend of Excalibur
    Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
    Radiata Stories
    Shining Force NEO
    Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
    Summoner
    Summoner 2
    Virtua Quest
    Warriors of Might & Magic
    X-Men Legends
    X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse
    Ys: The Ark of Napishtim

    Turn-Based and Turn-Based Strategy RPGs:

    Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
    Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
    Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
    Ephemeral Fantasia
    Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy X-2
    Grandia 2
    Grandia Xtreme
    Growlanser: Generations
    Growlanser: Generations Deluxe
    InuYasha: The Secret of the Cursed Mask
    Jade Cocoon 2
    Kingdom Hearts
    La Pucelle: Tactics
    Legaia 2: Duel Saga
    Legend of Alon D'ar, The
    Lord of the Rings, The: The Third Age
    Magna Carta: Tears of Blood
    Makai Kingdom: Chronicles of the Sacred Tome
    Mega Man X: Command Mission
    Nightmare Of Druaga: Fushigino Dungeon
    Okage: Shadow King
    Phantom Brave
    Romancing SaGa: Ministrel Song
    RPG Maker 2
    RPG Maker 3
    Shadow Hearts
    Shadow Hearts: Covenant
    Shaman King: Power of Spirit
    Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
    Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    Shining Tears
    Stella Deus: The Gate of Eternity
    Suikoden III
    Suikoden IV
    Suikoden Tactics
    Tsugunai: Atonement
    Unlimited SaGa
    Wild Arms 3
    Wild Arms: Alter Code F
    Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land
    XenoSaga: Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht
    XenoSaga: Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Bose

    Turn-Based/Battle-Centric

    Gladius
    Heroes of Might and Magic: Quest for the DragonBone Staff
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

  19. #19
    Insert Coin (Level 0) codyz1112594's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    21
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    redsteelrox94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    A couple notes before I list what I have in the DP Online Guide master file:

    It's tough to categorize games now that they've started to borrow RPG elements to give the title some length and depth. I've tried to categorize them as best as I can, but I'd love to hear what everyone thinks.

    I have Magic Pengel and games of that ilk (like Monster Rancher) listed as Life Development titles since they focus on creating/raising a character and fighting with the a'la Pokemon Stadium. Magic Pengel blurs the line...it has RPG elements in it, but they aren't the main focus of the game. Even the package classifies it as an adventure game.

    I never saw the Fullmetal Alchemist games as RPGs. They're more like beat-em-up type games, IMO.

    Heroes of Might and Magic and Gladius are what I consider 'Action Strategy', or what the DP guide refers to as 'Battle-centric'. I wouldn't consider them full-blown RPGs. Could Future Tactics fit in here?

    Anyway, here's the list, broken down by classifications.

    First Person RPGs:

    Eternal Ring
    King's Field: The Ancient City

    MMO RPGs:

    EverQuest: Online Adventures (I'd consider the 7-day trial more of a demo)
    EverQuest: Online Adventures: Frontiers
    Final Fantasy XI: [w/Hard Disk Drive]
    Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia
    Monster Hunter

    Third-Person Real-Time RPGs, Hack-and-Slash:

    .Hack 1: Infection
    .Hack 2: Mutation
    .Hack 3: Outbreak
    .Hack 4: Quarantine
    Arc the Lad: End of Darkness
    Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
    Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
    Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II
    Bard's Tale, The: Song of the Bard
    Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
    Champions of Norrath: Realms of Everquest
    Champions: Return to Arms
    Dark Angel: Vampire Apocalypse
    Dark Cloud
    Dark Cloud 2
    Demon Stone: Forgotten Realms
    Dual Hearts
    Evergrace
    Forever Kingdom
    Legion: Legend of Excalibur
    Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
    Radiata Stories
    Shining Force NEO
    Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
    Summoner
    Summoner 2
    Virtua Quest
    Warriors of Might & Magic
    X-Men Legends
    X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse
    Ys: The Ark of Napishtim

    Turn-Based and Turn-Based Strategy RPGs:

    Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
    Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
    Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
    Ephemeral Fantasia
    Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy X-2
    Grandia 2
    Grandia Xtreme
    Growlanser: Generations
    Growlanser: Generations Deluxe
    InuYasha: The Secret of the Cursed Mask
    Jade Cocoon 2
    Kingdom Hearts
    La Pucelle: Tactics
    Legaia 2: Duel Saga
    Legend of Alon D'ar, The
    Lord of the Rings, The: The Third Age
    Magna Carta: Tears of Blood
    Makai Kingdom: Chronicles of the Sacred Tome
    Mega Man X: Command Mission
    Nightmare Of Druaga: Fushigino Dungeon
    Okage: Shadow King
    Phantom Brave
    Romancing SaGa: Ministrel Song
    RPG Maker 2
    RPG Maker 3
    Shadow Hearts
    Shadow Hearts: Covenant
    Shaman King: Power of Spirit
    Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
    Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    Shining Tears
    Stella Deus: The Gate of Eternity
    Suikoden III
    Suikoden IV
    Suikoden Tactics
    Tsugunai: Atonement
    Unlimited SaGa
    Wild Arms 3
    Wild Arms: Alter Code F
    Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land
    XenoSaga: Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht
    XenoSaga: Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Bose

    Turn-Based/Battle-Centric

    Gladius
    Heroes of Might and Magic: Quest for the DragonBone Staff
    im glad the3y included okage
    IM PLAYING: SPYRO 2 (100%)

  20. #20
    Strawberry (Level 2)
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    571
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I picked up Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES (w/Soundtrack,Artbook), and God of War II from amazon today. So in a week or so, i will know if its a variant or not.

Similar Threads

  1. Kuros' trade list. Huge list of games FS/FT!
    By Kuros in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 06:32 PM
  2. Short NES want list (games and accessories) *trade list*
    By JoeNES in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-13-2006, 03:26 PM
  3. Updated Want List (HUGE update, many easy games) +Trade list
    By Sylentwulf in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-04-2005, 11:29 AM
  4. my trade list of much stuffs.and my even bigger want list!
    By max 330 mega in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-03-2005, 07:21 AM
  5. Playstation Long box list, Greatest Hits List, Launch titles
    By swlovinist in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-28-2005, 06:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •