Thread: Lady Jane & AB-Pos hit Funspot in Weirs, NH

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Lady Jane & AB-Pos hit Funspot in Weirs, NH

Yesterday (day before thanksgiving) my girlfriend and I had the day off. Nothing to do, since all T-day prep was done, and wondering how to spend the day together. The solution?

Travel 90 minutes to the greatest arcade in existance.

Pictures will come soon when developed but DAMN. If you've never heard of it, check out Funspot's Website and hit their "Classic Games" link just to show what pre '90 games they have.

We played mother F'n Gun Fight. GUNFIGHT! Atari's third arcade game! Don't forget Pong Doubles, Berzerk, Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe, Space Invaders, Burgertime, Breakout... that's just the start. We spent SEVEN glorious hours there.

Oh, can't forget playing Pac-Man on the very machine Billy Mitchell used to play the only recorded perfect game of Pac-man. Beautiful.

And the pinball machines! Holy crap, we played pinball machines dating back to '71. You remember all those corny pinball sounds you hear on tv shows and whatnot? THOSE SOUNDS ARE REAL. It was craziness for someone that's only known LCD-screen modern-style pins.

I don't care how long it takes you, if you have some time, drive down to Funspot and play. This was the greatest date I've been on... and it was her idea

My only (very very small) complaint is that I wish they had a Neo Geo machine. That would have rounded it off. However even some of the more 'modern' classics were there too:

Simpsons 4-player
    Street Fighter Champion Edition
    Super Street Fighter II
    Darkstalkers
    4-player Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    MK I, II, Ultimate III
    Primal Rage
    Hard Drivin'
    Lethal Enforcers
    and more.

The place is a thing of beauty. Plus they have skee-ball, bowling lanes, mini-golf, indoor golf range, and mini bumper cars for the kiddies.

LJ's favorite pasttime during the night was the pachinko-esque baseball-runs game from the late 50's. She kept getting the 40-runs required to win 10 tickets. She was also exceptional at the baseball swinging pinball game where you needed 14. It'll make more sense in the picture.

She'll have more to say though, for now I need to vacuum and do a few dishes

-AB+
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

And before anyone reads too fast and misreads the thread, I AM NOT the girlfriend in question. :P

I know that I did misread it for a sec, thinking "I didn't go to any arcade with Adam!"...

Insert Coin (Level 0) cranberrygrape's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well it was wonderful!
    Who knew it only took 90 mins to heaven...
    For as long as I can remember I have always wanted a pinball machine. They are magnificent. Addam's Family has been the long standing desire for my future house...that is until yesterday. Gorgar This was a wonderful machine! The sounds and music made me weep! The bass was AMAZING! You could really feel the game through the floor.
    This was the machine I could touch but not play...so sad. pretty Sadly it was not on...just for display.
    Fire which I rememer playing when I was younger was too dark to see....but I played it anyways!
    This beauty was great! The first pinball I've ever played with this big of a playing field!!!

Out of all 7 hours I did play games other than pinballs...
    Clowns was my first game out of the cabinets...very enjoyable. The second was Carnival, great great game.

All in all the best time I've had in New Hampshire. Never thought I could say that...

Best part about it 20$ each plus the coupons we had gave us even more tokens. All the older games were 1, and we came home with 6 prizes (one 10 ticket token because I couldn't give it up) and yes regular tokens...we had tokens left over! after 7 hours of almost non stop playing we had them to spare. needless to say WORTH THE MONEY!
    The coupon is valid through the end of the year so if any wants to try it out!!! Heh...Better than 3.5 movies and we got something more out of it then sticky shoes...
    Loved it!

-Lady Jane
    Scissors Kills Paper, Rock; Turns Blade On Self.
    -LJ

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye
    And before anyone reads too fast and misreads the thread, I AM NOT the girlfriend in question. :P

I know that I did for a sec, thinking "I didn't go to any arcade with Adam!"...

I actually did do that.

Sounds like ya'll had a good time. I'd take ya up on the advice, but seeing's how I use ya'll, it'd be a mighty drive up to New England.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh ive been there once... Visited it when i was touring New England with my parents a few years ago...

I take it they still use the Tokens/Credits you have to buy?

Ha, also, that Simpsons 4 Player... i Doubt its still on there, but look for ADA on the top of the High Scores... *Caut (aka Adam) Grins*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've still yet to make it there, either, which is ridiculously foolish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye

I know that I did misread it for a sec, thinking "I didn't go to any arcade with Adam!"...
    lol ok that's what i thought at first, had to almost reread it l

but that's awesome I would like to make it to the there but it's kind of a far distance from where i am

but hey eventually at least.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AWWW!!! I wanna cry!!! I have not been to Funspot in 3 years since my grandparents sold their summer place in Bristol, NH. I have been going there once every summer my entire lifetime until 3 years ago. That was 17 years of skee-ball, KISS Pinball and arcade Tetris. I have to drive up there w/my boyfriend when I'm on vacation. I have to go there again, it's the greatest arcade experience and a lifetime tradition

When I have kids, I am bringing them up there every summer, no doubt about it.

And I love how the mascot dragon's name is Topsnuf, Funspot backwards (literally took me 15 years to notice that LMAO)
    ~Gaz~

"Video games develop hand-eye coordination and turn children into better human beings!" ~ Professor Membrane on Invader ZIM"

Animal Crossing Info:
    Town: Odnetnin
    Name: Gaz
    Code: 0730-7620-4738
    Fruits: Pears, Peaches
    Gates Open: Random

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Out of curosity, have you ever been to Hampton Beach? I haven't been there for some time, but my family used to make annual trips up there, and I remember there being some massive (at least in my teen eyes) arcades there. I even remember one arcade having a separate section of early 80's games, from Asteroids to Donkey Kong.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cauterize
    Heh ive been there once... Visited it when i was touring New England with my parents a few years ago...

I take it they still use the Tokens/Credits you have to buy?

Ha, also, that Simpsons 4 Player... i Doubt its still on there, but look for ADA on the top of the High Scores... *Caut (aka Adam) Grins*

For internet users a coupon for 50 free tokens can be used at the bowling alley. This is assuming that you will purchase $20 worth. You normally get 125 for 20 dollars, but with this deal you get 175 (plus the 50)...if that's what you were asking

With the deal we had the total cost of a token.... 11 cent

That's wonderful!
    -LJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*waves to cranberrygrape*

I guess you weren't kiddin about playing in the arcade
    *eyeballs meseta*

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cranberrygrape
    Gorgar This was a wonderful machine! The sounds and music made me weep! The bass was AMAZING! You could really feel the game through the floor.
    Holy crap! I had no idea that the Helloween song "Gorgar" was actually about a pinball game! (Pretty obvious now that I read the lyrics. ) Now I have another reason to drag my sorry ass to Funspot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye (not Jane)
    And before anyone reads too fast and misreads the thread, I AM NOT the girlfriend in question.

I did too, though I didn't actually think that you two were an item. I just kept reading Adam's post thinking, so when are they going to meet Lady Jaye?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Keir to the nth power
    Quote Originally Posted by cranberrygrape
    Gorgar This was a wonderful machine! The sounds and music made me weep! The bass was AMAZING! You could really feel the game through the floor.
    Holy crap! I had no idea that the Helloween song "Gorgar" was actually about a pinball game! (Pretty obvious now that I read the lyrics. ) Now I have another reason to drag my sorry ass to Funspot.
    oh here it is...
    Song 12: Gorgar (3:55)

Now we're really getting somewhere! This one is about the Gorgar YES! YES! YES!pinball machine, which was the first talking pinball machine ever. It said shit like, "Gorgar Speaks!", "Tilt!" and "Gorgar will eat you!". Arcade rats couldn't get enough Gorgar when it came out in 1979. Gorgar does indeed look like the Prince of Darkness. Helloween is now reaching god-like status.

Song:
    You're runnin' around in the gamblin' hall Every night it's the same

You're lookin' for something new to play To win and have fun is your aim

A pinball speaks to you His metal voice is knockin' in your head

You can't resist you'll have to play You're just another victim caught in the trap

Chorus: Gorgar will eat you, Gorgar - man you'll never win - hey

Gorgar will eat you, Gorgar - but you keep on playin' - hey

Your blood is boilin' your eyes grow wide - Advance - too late

Gamblin' fever has taken your mind - this fuckin' machine of hate

You spend all your money but you'll never win You're always the loser and the robot's voice keeps hammering

Chorus

Wastin' money for fun every night Livin' for today no thoughts for tomorrow

Man you are dead don't you realize Wake up and live before it's too late

Solo: Mike / Kai

Chorus
    -LJ

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Lady Jane & AB-Pos hit Funspot in Weirs, NH

Right on! Funspot is, in fact, a spot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Positive
    We played mother F'n Gun Fight. GUNFIGHT! Atari's third arcade game!
    One correction - Gun Fight is a Midway game. It's also totally sweet.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This arcade has PLAY CHOICE 10?!?! I must go there!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never been to Funspot myself. It's not even that far.

Haven't actually been to NH in months anyway.
    The epitome of evil lies not in what you do to your enemies, but the intensity and dedication you put into it.

This shirt's too tight, Billy!- Lex Luger's infamous NWA Cyberspace promo