Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you ever unfairly judged a console?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Quote Originally Posted by Xizer
    I must say, however, one last time...THE PS2 CONTROLLER SUCKS MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF ASS.
    Let's hope that it's the last time

Anyways... like alot of people, I wasn't really interested in the Xbox for years. Finally picked one up for my dad (Big FPS and War game fan) and i've found a good amount of titles to play when I get a chance.

That's about as far as i've gone, I don't think i've ever disliked a system or had an opinion on it without playing for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Only system I have ever not liked is the gamecube and that's just because of the over-all feel of it. SSBM toned that hatred done a little though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only recently have I been wrong about a couple consoles and one portable system.

I was completely wrong about the DS and now want one more than a 360- BY FAR

For MANY YEARS I was critical of the PS2 even though Ive had one since the year it launched I was always saying this is NO BETTER THAN THE DREAMCAST I LUV MY DREAMCAST DAMMIT!

It was a love/hate thing with my PS2 up until the last couple years I luved the games but hated the system for so many reasons (hell ive bought 3 NEW ones )

The first being that everyone AND I MEAN EVERYONE treated the Playstation 2 like the freaking second coming casuals,GAMERS, Developers and publishers all flocked to it like it was a godsend and I resented it for that mostly becuase I thought the DREAMCAST was a godsend and the greatest thing to happen to gaming since the glory days of the Genesis/SNES.

Now after all these years I actually cant imagine gaming without a Playstation 2.

I cannot fathom how any gamer could deprive themselves of SO MANY GREAT GAMES from both the PSone/PS2 era just for simple hatred of Sony or the name Playstation.

Also any system that can play my complete Silent Hill collection on plus games like RE4/God of War/Ico and so many more is a DAMN GOOD SYSTEM in my book.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reaching back years and years for this one.

I remember when i forst got my NES (1990) and i just didnt care for the Genesis or Sega at all. I loved my Nintedo and that was that.

Fast forward to mid to late-1992 & owning the system for about 2 years and the realization that the NES was on its way out let me to think twice about my eariler feelings.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

I own 27 systems and still have no desire to own an Xbox. A part of me wants to TRY and like it and give it a chance. However, I don't like FPS's and don't care about gaming online so what other exclusive titles would grab my interest? The only ones i may be interested in are Jet Set Radio Future, PD Orta, and HotD 3 (but I heard it sucks). Anyways, other than the Xbox, I've never prejudged a system and I have always been pleased with the results....except for the N64

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPolicenaut
    I own 27 systems and still have no desire to own an Xbox. A part of me wants to TRY and like it and give it a chance. However, I don't like FPS's and don't care about gaming online so what other exclusive titles would grab my interest? The only ones i may be interested in are Jet Set Radio Future, PD Orta, and HotD 3 (but I heard it sucks). Anyways, other than the Xbox, I've never prejudged a system and I have always been pleased with the results....except for the N64
    Xbox also has some very well done racing, sports, and fighting titles, if you're into those. If not, it's not critical that you grab one. Of course, you'll probably see $50 used Xboxes by spring. Here in Dallas, I see $75 and sometimes cheaper ones all the time, often with games included.

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien
    I was a culprit of this with the XBox. It was the last of the 3 current gen systems I bought, and now it is actually my favorite of the three. It generally has the best graphics, and I love the Controller S for 3D gaming. I guess it all comes down to whether you like Halo or not. I hadn't given it a chance, but now I'm hooked.
    I'm guilty of pretty much the same thing. I balked at the Xbox before, during and after its launch. The idea of a hard drive in a console almost disgusted me, but as time went on, I started to warm up to it and finally baught one when Panzer Dragoon Orta came out for it. Then Xbox Live hit, and suddenly, the Xbox became my favorite console of the current generation. I have twice as many Xbox games as I do PS2 and GC games.
    I realized the Xbox had a lot to offer like; custom soundtracks, Xbox Live, HDTV support, downloadable content, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse
    Normally I’m pretty right about my first impressions of a gaming system. I can say though that I am wrong from time to time.

Playstation- I was not interested in this console at all. I ignored the launch but later (after the miserable failure that was the N64) fell in love with it and bought one. O this day it’s one of my favorites.

N64- I was foaming at the mouth to get one of these and when I did finally get one (3 days before launch, thanks K-Mart!)…utter disappointment, it went back to the store in less than a week. I bought another in ’99 and still dislike it to this day. I only have it to complete my Nintendo collection (that and Paper Mario).

Dreamcast- I have always disliked this console, I bough one when it hit $99 and never got into it. I sold it a few months ago. Call me crazy but that’s how it goes, it had so much promise with so little delivery.

PS2- I lost sleep thinking about picking one of these up on launch day. When I did….it was the N64 all over again, it went back to the store the next week. Not impressed. I have borrowed my buddy’s from time to time (final Fantasy X was a must play) but to this say I still don’t have one. If Sony ever gets their head out of their ass and lowers the price to $99, I’ll pick one up.

Xbox- I was always lukewarm about this system and when I got one for Christmas last year (fathom that, 28 and still getting game systems for Christams), I realized why. I don’t like FPS nor do I have a need to go online. I rented some of the “premier” titles for the unit and played them all. When I found I was most excited about Metal Slug 3, I sold the unit and got a Neo geo. I’ve been happy ever since.

Gamecube- I completely passed this console up on launch and although I have one now (B-day gift), I really don’t play it all that much. Titles like Windwaker, the Midway Arcade Classics titles and Paper Mario are the only reasons why I still play it form time to time.

Sega CD- For years this system got little to no play in my house. The better titles were to expensive so the only ones I had sucked. I decided to finally download some romz and burn them….games like Snatcher, final Fight, Vay, the Lunar titles, Lords of Thunder and Shining Force CD make it worth while.
    Just out of curiosity, just what DO you play? With the exception of the Saturn you've just eliminated every major console in the past 10 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was real hard on the PS1 when it came out. I felt that Sony had no idea what real gamers wanted and had no business trying to muscle into the console wars, and that they were a lot of hype and poor-quality games.

Well, I reluctantly bought a PS1 just so I could get FF7, and after I did get one, I learned to like just about everything about it. And now I actually spend more time playing my PS2 than my Gamecube, so go figure.

I like most systems now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

"I don't like FPS's and don't care about gaming online so what other exclusive titles would grab my interest? "

Forza Motorsport, Outrun 2, Project Gotham Racing 2, and RalliSport Challenge 2 all come to mind for starters. There's a lot more to the Xbox then just first person shooters, and there's a lot of exclusives for the system outside of just racing games. But racing games and classic gaming occupy most of my time on consoles so that's what I know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I defintely overlooked the TG16. I got one a while back, and got a handful of games - just for my quest to own every console ever made. ;-)

However, I recently picked up Galaga '90:

And, played it for a few hours straight!

This is the best version of Galaga I've ever seen.
    Need. More. Games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

simple here, only one system I have never really liked
    and that is the NES, i was/will always prefer the SMS over
    the nes.

I have had a nes since launch and probably own around 50 to
    60 games, with the marios,metal gear and Bionic Comando being
    the only games I really enjoyed.
    The Sms on the other hand, I have around 200 games and
    can list lots and lots that I have got countless hours out of,
    but hey everyones different I suppose. :/

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I unfairly judged the GameCube. I honestly thought that it would be THE top system of the Xbox-PS2-Cube battle.

Boy, was I blind! I must have had super rose colored glasses on that day!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

never

i have never judged a system with out building up a significant amount of experience with it.
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Now and then I get the feeling that the SMS wasn't too good. Then I remember: Aleste, Wonder Boy III, Phantasy Star, Golvellius...the system does reasonably well with classic shooters (I believe all I've got right now is Sagaia), and it's the 2D sidescroller genre that I feel isn't represented very well. Rastan? Ugh, I can't really stand to look at that port, especially when I've got the Apple IIgs version lying about. Shinobi is okay, but only barely. Shadow Dancer is great to look at, but I feel that's a bit too loose for its own good. The system definitely deserves praise, though.

I'm pretty spiteful towards the Sega CD. Every game I own for it is a complete waste. The Mega CD, on the other hand, has some great titles. Well, it's got the awesome Ninjawarriors port, anyway.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know if I ever can say that I've unfairly judged a console. Perhaps the N64, which I bought because I was so excited to get Earthbound 64, and we all know how that turned out. So, I bought it expecting to like it, and it ended up being the only console that I really feel like I wasted money on.

Having said that, GoldenEye gave me so many hours of fun (and like four other games) that I can't complain too much. But the fact I only truly like about 5 games for it makes it hard for me to truly like it.

Other than that, I feel like I've been pretty right about the other consoles I've had -- the ones I've bought I've really enjoyed, and the ones that I haven't when I have played them, I haven't felt like there was any surprises that I was missing.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think i've ever unfairly judged a systems library. I was in denial for 2 years that the Genesis fucking rocked. I was so into Nintendo that I actually would lie to myself about the Genesis.

"Nintendo rules so Genesis must suck"

Deep down inside I wanted a Genesis and in 91 I broke down. Best break down of my life!
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nemesis223
    PSN
    Nemesis2233

The Xbox ever since it came out. Mostly because I was a huge Nintendo/Playstation fan I didnt like ANY competition to come along. But now that I have grown older and wiser I have come to like it and some of its games. Doom 3, Halo, Fable etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by EricRyan34
    But now that I have grown older and wiser I have come to like it and some of its games. Doom 3, Halo, Fable etc.
    Why pick games that have had PC ports (or started out on the PC)? Plenty of good games on the machine, though, I'll say...and to be honest, those aren't my favorites (can't comment on Fable, as I've not played it).