Thread: Experience with buying old games online with EB Games?

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

Default Experience with buying old games online with EB Games?

I am thinking about buying some PS1 games from eb games, and it says "Guaranteed to work. May not include instructions and original packaging."
    Have any of you bought from here, and not receive alot of the original stuff? Or mostly all came with their manuals and cases?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mostly I've bought NES games from them, and some gameboy games. I always get a game and nothing else. If you really want the booklett and the case for your PS games I don't reccomend using ebgames because it's a gamble. Also I can say the condition of the cartriges that I've bought range from really great looking to really crappy looking.
    My collection | [url=http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53486&highlight=ulticron[/url]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

I was thinking the discs might be all scratched up to high hell too right?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's at least a 50/50 chance you'll end up getting a badly scratched disc, if not greater. It will most likely work, I can almost guarantee that because I've never bought a game from them that didn't work, but as for the condition that's just a gamble. I try to only buy from eb online when necessary.

Mainly it depends on whether you want these games to be part of your collection or if you just want to play them. Also if you just want to play them I STRONGLY reccomend you burn a backup copy of them and play that if you have a modded PS.

If you want your games to be in pretty good condition just ask and I'll drop you 2 or 3 links of places I buy from and feel good about. Prices will vary but personally I feel it's better to pay a lil bit more and know exactly what you're getting.
    My collection | [url=http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53486&highlight=ulticron[/url]

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Quote Originally Posted by Ulticron
    Mostly I've bought NES games from them, and some gameboy games. I always get a game and nothing else. If you really want the booklett and the case for your PS games I don't reccomend using ebgames because it's a gamble. Also I can say the condition of the cartriges that I've bought range from really great looking to really crappy looking.
    You obviously wouldn't get a manual if you buy a cartridge game. Upon trade in, they throw the manual out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have seen NES games with the manual at a local EB Games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You obviously wouldn't get a manual if you buy a cartridge game. Upon trade in, they throw the manual out
    See: Game Stop (n.)

Elsewhere it's usually manager's choice.

As for PSX Games, don't bother ordering online unless you're welcome to disc only games or mix-and-matched games.

A rather large of the PSX games from the warehouse are bought from Blockbuster, etc. Usually this means they're already disc only, are most likley resurfaced, or they've been cobbled together from misc parts, like a FF7 that has CDs from the non GH and GH in the same case.

Stick with shopping for games in person, that way you see what you get.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Buying disc games sight-unseen has always scared me. Better to inspect it first if you can.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Teh again if you recieve a game that's not up to your standards you can always return it to a bricks and mortar store.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    the again if you recieve a game that's not up to your standards you can always return it to a bricks and mortar store.
    Really? I thought that they had the same policy as Gamestop about that (Gamestop.com and Gamestop B&M are more or less different entities under the same umbrella so you can't return crap you buy online to the store, something I painfully learned the hard way).

And as my contribution to the thread, i present this image:

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx
    Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    the again if you recieve a game that's not up to your standards you can always return it to a bricks and mortar store.
    Really? I thought that they had the same policy as Gamestop about that (Gamestop.com and Gamestop B&M are more or less different entities under the same umbrella so you can't return crap you buy online to the store, something I painfully learned the hard way).

And as my contribution to the thread, i present this image:

Hmm... I had a similar thread before and was assured I could return merchandise but prehaps that's inaccurate.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

very inaccurate. i bought a pile of stuff from them - genesis and SNES stuff - and the games came in terrible condition. to the point you couldnt make out the title on some, and looked like someone had tried to sand off rental stickers. literally. i have kind of a busy schedule, so a day or two before the 'send them back by now' date, i took them to eb....i tried to return them, because i thought it was easiest to take them there, and they said it was 'just the opposite' its easiest to send them back, thats why we dont take them. maybe they just didnt want classic games or games that looked this bad, but i ended up getting stuck with them, as i work when the post office is open and they didnt have the thing to send from the lobby yet.

long story shorter - id buy from ebay or anywhere else before EB or gamestop online.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

Damn ok, so its a no lol. I trully appreciate all you experiences and info. You guys/girls are the best!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you want your games to be in pretty good condition just ask and I'll drop you 2 or 3 links of places I buy from and feel good about. Prices will vary but personally I feel it's better to pay a lil bit more and know exactly what you're getting.
    Drop those links I'd love to know where to get some good games in good condition online.
    Speed Kills but Strength Punishes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Odd, i've bought quite a few games online from EB (Usually to get the free shipping when needed) and i've returned them no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can return them. Its something we started within the past year Id say. So yea if you buy something online and its not up to your standards return it to EB and say it didnt work. You might only get store credit though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have purchesed somewhere around 130 PS1 games from EBgames -- i have had 2 not work - and many scratched to hell

they try to re-surface the disks but they cant get all the scratches out and many have come with alot of them (still working)

most comon problem i have seen was the soundtrack skiping

also - i have had only about 10 games come in the original packaging - most of them have been disk only

but at the price i figured its acceptable for me
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Quote Originally Posted by Darren870
    You can return them. Its something we started within the past year Id say. So yea if you buy something online and its not up to your standards return it to EB and say it didnt work. You might only get store credit though.
    Yeah, that's what I did. They were $5 games anyways so I just put it towards something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It totally depends on so many different things. I have bought a bunch of Dreamcast games from them to try to plug in holes in my collection. I'd say that about 50% are loose, 50% are half-complete. 5% are scratched, the other 95% work fine.

For N64, SNES, Geni and NES games however, expect them to have sanded off any old labels (literally, sanded off). If you get a cartridge that never had anything on it -- it wasn't a rental, it wasn't resold at another store with a tag on it, etc -- it is in whatever shape it is. I'd put good condition cartridge games vs. poor condition games at about 25% / 75%. It's totally a crap shoot though.

In all those games I have purchased from them, I have never once recieved a manual or box.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333