Thread: ps2 memory card help

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ps2 memory card help

Well, I finally had some free time tonite so I figured I'd fire up the old ps2 I found under all the dust from when I cleaned. I plugged in a game, and it didn't recognize one of my memory cards which had all my save for that game. i pull out both and look at them, and the chip part at the end you stick into the system looks a little shorter than the working one. Could this be the problem? If so, what caused that and how do I fix it? If not, what is the problem then?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My mem cards looks the same way. One time mine didnt work it was dust. I blew it with and air can problem solved. Think of it like old nintendo carts. Good luck.
    neo geo system

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto
    My mem cards looks the same way. One time mine didnt work it was dust. I blew it with and air can problem solved. Think of it like old nintendo carts. Good luck.
    The was the first thing I tried, and it didn't work. I've tried switching from one mem. card slot to the other, blowing it out, and yelling at it. None of which have worked!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had this happen to the cards before. Open it up by removing the screw in the back, and then work the two halves of the case apart (it can be a little tricky). Once you've done that, slide the PCB back forward where it belongs, and also stick it in place with some electrical tape or something. The small plastic retainer pieces that hold it in place probably got broken somehow, allowing it to slide back out of reach of the slot's contacts.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2
    I've had this happen to the cards before. Open it up by removing the screw in the back, and then work the two halves of the case apart (it can be a little tricky). Once you've done that, slide the PCB back forward where it belongs, and also stick it in place with some electrical tape or something. The small plastic retainer pieces that hold it in place probably got broken somehow, allowing it to slide back out of reach of the slot's contacts.
    I'll definatly try this, as it can't really hurt seeing as it doesn't work any ways. Although, I will admit that as pissed as I was it is actually kinda fun to start some of the games over from scratch

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yep, that was the case. Get it, the case! Sorry, bad pun I know. But now that its working again, I can see all the data I would have lost and I'm glad its working! Not sure how you are using elec. tape to get it to stay put though..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, turns out a little creativity goes along way with electrical tape. Got it all taped in place, case back together, and card working perfectly. Thanks for the help again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by its_hey_ma
    Not sure how you are using elec. tape to get it to stay put though..
    I think I just did something like putting a small piece along the back edge, half on the PCB, and half on the plastic of the lower shell. But improvisation is fine, so long as it works. ;-)