Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Many Dreamcast Questions...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Many Dreamcast Questions...

Recently I aquired ( to my disgust and horror ) a load of empty Dreamcast game boxes. My boyfriend and I were looking over them , and we realized how badass the Dreamcast was. Now i want to get ahold of a system, and evenually get the games I need for the boxes I have.

So now for my questions...
    Most consoles have multible versions, usually hardware improvements or bug fixes, etc.
    Does the Dreamcast fit this mold; is there a Model # I should be looking for? Or are they a nice system all around ?

Is there anything I should watch out for when buying a used one? Am I going to get faulty systems %75 of the time like the PS1, or the Genesis? What are some issues it commonly suffers from?

Help Me! The Dreamcast looks so cool, I must have one!!!
    x_x
    Vectors, pixels & polygons

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There were a few revisions manly though it was to make the dreamcast unable to load burned games. Thats about it, I don't think the system like forany major upgrades.

Only thing you have to worrie about is the power supply. Sometimes these wear out. You'll have problems like random resets and the system wont keep the current date. Oh and these also the whole laser thing but I have yet to come across one with a bad laser.

Good system theres something for eveyone.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Many Dreamcast Questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Truffle
    Recently I aquired ( to my disgust and horror ) a load of empty Dreamcast game boxes. My boyfriend and I were looking over them , and we realized how badass the Dreamcast was. Now i want to get ahold of a system, and evenually get the games I need for the boxes I have.
    Good choice! The Dreamcast had a lot of really great arcade-style games, and that it sets it apart from other consoles in my opinion. It's definitely worth picking up, especially because you can find them cheap. I'll be adding some to the GOAT Store site later today for $30.00, and if you look harder you can find some even cheaper than that!

So now for my questions...
    Most consoles have multible versions, usually hardware improvements or bug fixes, etc.
    Does the Dreamcast fit this mold; is there a Model # I should be looking for? Or are they a nice system all around ?
    Sega supposedly revised the console at the end of its lifespan so that it would not support the MIL-CD mode that it built into the original ones. Supposedly, there were a few thousand of these made and sold, almost exclusively in Asia.

To this date, none of those systems have been found nor accounted for. With the Dreamcast releases I have done, we have sold thousands of copies already and not heard of it not working in any game console. I have an offer that if anyone ever gets a Dreamcast that works with everything but our games, I'll trade a bunch for it. I don't think it'll ever happen, as I doubt very much they were ever actually released.

Any release, therefore, should be a good one to grab.

Is there anything I should watch out for when buying a used one? Am I going to get faulty systems %75 of the time like the PS1, or the Genesis? What are some issues it commonly suffers from?
    The only thing that the Dreamcast regularly suffers from is being really loud, in my opinion. When it moves it's laser around, it makes a loud whirring noise.

A bunch of people have complained that the Dreamcast is really finicky, but I personally haven't found that to be the case. I have had pass through my hands at least 50 Dreamcast systems in the past year, and every one that did worked just fine for me. The only ones that didn't I knew were coming as broken, and they usually had something very obvious and not "natural" happening like parts inside falling around, or large cracks in the cases where they were obviously dropped.

My console bought in 2000 which has logged hundreds of playtime hours on it including hundreds more of playing with the games that I've been doing is still working 100% fine.

I would suggest purchasing from a place that you're sure of, either online (for instance, the GOAT Store does guarantee everything we do to work) or a brick and mortar store where if you have any problems you can return the system. Other than that, I don't think there is too much else.

Help Me! The Dreamcast looks so cool, I must have one!!!
    I found the same thing! Good luck! Any further questions, I'm around to help
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Agreed with what they have said. The Dreamcast has so far been the most reliable disc based system I have seen. Everyone I've picked up at swap meets and garage sales have worked just fine.

Plus, the games are cheap if you know where to look. I just got a lot of 15-17 games the other day for $10. Great deal.

Finally, if you wanna purchase a system, let me know, I have one up for sale.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Only other issue I can think of (but this doesnt pertain to a model as its shown on all of them) is that controller ports are known to burn out.

Other than that all you need to do is pick a system color, here in America you get a Black one (Sports edition, which does command a little more) OR the white one. They both do the exact same thing. Only other choices are controllers, as there were numerous colored ones released not to long after they came out (i've got a nice clearish green and clearish yellow one with matching VMU's).
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

The only problems I had were with the video cables. Been through more official S-video cables than I care to count. I finally decided to try Mad Catz and had it ever since (probably in 2000). Go figure.

Oh, and a VGA box in combination with Soul Calibur will make you wonder how the PS2 ever beat it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod
    Oh, and a VGA box in combination with Soul Calibur will make you wonder how the PS2 ever beat it.
    Yeah that was a sweet little VGA box. The one i had does S-Video too and it's never had problems.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

If you can score yourself a first-gen DC, then you won't have to worry about a boot disc for imports or burned games.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    If you can score yourself a first-gen DC, then you won't have to worry about a boot disc for imports or burned games.
    I still have my DC that I got the midnight of release, and it has never played imports or backups without a boot disc.

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

My DC is on the fritz, it rarely loads Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, or THPS 2, and when it does, it freezes. I really need to get a new one. The one I have seems to be a Model 0, as it has a 0 where a 1, 2, or 3 should be. So avoid getting one of those.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Truffle
    Welcome to the Dreamcast scene, where some of the best of last generation and classic emulation meet!

First problem to watch out for is a faulty internal battery. The Dreamcast uses a hardwired 2032 button cel to retain internal settings and to run the internal clock. You cannot just pop open your DC and replace this with an off the shelf CR2032 from Wal-Mart or where ever (this isn't a Saturn). It uses a rechargeable cel that must be replaced with another rechargeable cel, not to mention getting the damn thing loose and securing a new one in place. If buying a DC, boot it up and see if you are prompted to input the time, etc. If you are it's no big deal at this point. Then shut it off, unplug it, plug it back in, and turn it back on. If you are then prompted to input the date and time again, the battery is probably bad. The Dreamcast will automatically charge its internal battery (that should last for 20 days between power off / on) after a few hours of play - but I'm always weary of DC's that "work fine" but then keep prompting to have their clock set.

Now don't confuse this problem with bad batteries in a Dreamcast Visual Memory Unit, or VMU, or the memory card. Those take a pair of standard CR2032 button cels however the batteries in them do not need to be functional for them to retain save data. The batteries in the VMU powered the unit away from the DC where a few games had little downloadable mini-games that could be played on them. However there was a technical screwup and the VMU batteries actually get drained when plugged into a Dreamcast controller, being used for file operations. (if you ask me THOSE are the batteries that should have been rechargable) So if you find a VMU that is dead on it's own, 99.9% chance it works fine, just plug it into a DC controller.

Next problem, random resets, hanging upon bootup, random lockups, loss of video signal but power still on, etc. These are all usually caused by a poorly seated power supply and not a bad power supply. See, the DC power supply feeds power down through the different layers of DC components (the DC is built like a sandwich) through a series of posts that the power supply slides down onto. If a DC gets knocked around or the AC plug on the back is inserted and removed frequently, it can cause the power supply board to shift, which then causes fluxuations in powerflow to certain components. For instance I had a DC that had a poorly seated power supply (because I didn't reassemble it as patiently as I could have when swapping cases) and the DC would reset repeatedly whenever it would go to initalize a disc after the Dreamcast splash screen. Opened it up, removed the power supply board, slid it back down onto the posts, no problems for over a year now.

Next, DO NOT USE THIRD PARTY ACCESSORIES WITH YOUR DREAMCAST. A lot of them can cause damage, especially to the controller socket assembly. There are some third party controllers that are famous for shorting out the controller ports. DC controllers are cheap, stick with the official stuff, same goes with VMU's since they interface through the controller which interfaces to the DC through the controller ports.

Backed up (pirated) games will cause wear to your CD drive in the long run. Heck, all DC games will, but pirated games make the GD-ROM drive to work a lot harder than it was ever meant to. However a good deal of the homebrew applications load in short spirts which aren't as bad. As for homebrew commercial releases (such as Feet of Fury) they don't pose any concern since they are optimized.

Don't buy into the "check the bottom for XXXX because XXXX model doesn't play XXXX games since it was manufactured before XXXX." If you buy a DC in the US from a person that also bought it in the US, you're fine. Back before we all knew what we were doing, yeah, it mattered. But now the homebrew community's work will run on all mainstream released Dreamcasts. For imports you can download a file and automatically burn a region swapping disc, it's very easy - PM me if you need help with that and I'll point you in the direction of the location to get what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Porksta
    My DC is on the fritz, it rarely loads Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, or THPS 2, and when it does, it freezes. I really need to get a new one. The one I have seems to be a Model 0, as it has a 0 where a 1, 2, or 3 should be. So avoid getting one of those.
    Open it up, remove and reseat the power supply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

one thing that bothers me about what people have said is that games are cheap -- i have not found any cheap games -- all games i find are over priced and disk only

and when i look for DC games on ebay i rarely find any cheap AND any games -- most of the time on ebay i see the same sellers selling the same sealed games over and over

but besides this -- yes the dreamcast is awsome - it totaly kicks butt - to bad the gameing population was convinced not to accept it
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll be adding some to the GOAT Store site later today for $30.00, and if you look harder you can find some even cheaper than that!

I have so much respect for you.
    "Do you find me sadistic?" - BILL

Collection and want list
    http://65.61.168.22/Collection/gamec...erid=link21580

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by googlefest1
    one thing that bothers me about what people have said is that games are cheap -- i have not found any cheap games -- all games i find are over priced and disk only
    I don't know what you're looking for then? A lot of the releases that people consider to be some of the top-notch examples of Dreamcast greatness can be had for $10.00 or less. Some examples:

Crazy Taxi
    NBA 2K series
    NFL 2K series
    NHL 2K series
    Resident Evil: Code Veronica
    Sega Bass Fishing
    Shenmue
    Sonic Adventure
    Tennis 2K2
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
    Virtua Tennis

All of those can be found on the GOAT Store for under $10.00. I also know that you can find Soul Calibur for under $10.00 at some points.

The most expensive games tend to be things like Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 ($25-40ish), the Street Fighter series ($25-40ish), Gigawing 2 ($20-$40), Skies of Arcadia ($15-25) and Grandia 2 ($15-25). Compared to other systems, I don't think any of those are horribly expensive to obtain, and they are all great games to boot!
    Dan Loosen
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jezt
    I'll be adding some to the GOAT Store site later today for $30.00, and if you look harder you can find some even cheaper than that!

I have so much respect for you.

Heh, thanks. That's just the way I do things. You can sometimes get Dreamcasts for only $19.99 from EB Games, but you've got to wait for it to show up. I'm not going to lie to anyone and say we're the lowest, but we do our best

You do get three games with those consoles from us, by the way They're only the 2K1 series of sports titles though, so it's really only like $5.00 of value.
    Dan Loosen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If anyone needs parts, I have a whole box full of parts - power supplies, controller ports, etc.
    Need. More. Games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    I don't know what you're looking for then? A lot of the releases that people consider to be some of the top-notch examples of Dreamcast greatness can be had for $10.00 or less. Some examples:

Crazy Taxi
    NBA 2K series
    NFL 2K series
    NHL 2K series
    Resident Evil: Code Veronica
    Sega Bass Fishing
    Shenmue
    Sonic Adventure
    Tennis 2K2
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
    Virtua Tennis

All of those can be found on the GOAT Store for under $10.00. I also know that you can find Soul Calibur for under $10.00 at some points.

The most expensive games tend to be things like Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 ($25-40ish), the Street Fighter series ($25-40ish), Gigawing 2 ($20-$40), Skies of Arcadia ($15-25) and Grandia 2 ($15-25). Compared to other systems, I don't think any of those are horribly expensive to obtain, and they are all great games to boot!
    OK - if thats considered cheap - then you add 5$ shipping and the game is actualy 15$

to me cheap is $1-$5 plus shipping - also, i was under the impression that was the general consensus

thats why i made that remark

now i know that cheap around here means $10
    The human operates out of complex superiority demands, self -affirming through ritual, insiting upon a rational need to learn, striving for self-imposed goals, manipulating his environment while he denies his own adaptive abilities, never fully satisfied.
    --Frank Herbert

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some games seem to flood ebay with 99 cent BIN prices, and $5-7 in shipping. The only 'good' game that seems to show up like this often is Space Channel 5.. check it out.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK - if thats considered cheap - then you add 5$ shipping and the game is actualy 15$

to me cheap is $1-$5 plus shipping - also, i was under the impression that was the general consensus

thats why i made that remark

now i know that cheap around here means $10
    I'm confused. Yes, if you want to only purchase one game, shipping is high for that. But you can purchase from our site (and I'm sure others) three Dreamcast games and pay $4.10 shipping. So, if you get Crazy Taxi for $6.00, NFL 2K1 for $1.50 and Virtua Tennis for $5.00 (all complete), you're talking slightly more than $5.00 per title including shipping. Considering that those are three of the standout titles for the console, I don't think that is by any means "expensive."

If you can find them in a store, shipping isn't a factor, and suddenly they are about $3.50 apeice.

Compared to the average cost of a PS2, Xbox or GameCube game, or even the average cost of an N64 game, I'd say those prices are more than reasonable. *shrug* Maybe I'm just used to paying more than a dollar or two for most of my games?
    Dan Loosen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Backed up (pirated) games will cause wear to your CD drive in the long run. Heck, all DC games will, but pirated games make the GD-ROM drive to work a lot harder than it was ever meant to. However a good deal of the homebrew applications load in short spirts which aren't as bad. As for homebrew commercial releases (such as Feet of Fury) they don't pose any concern since they are optimized.
    How did you come across this information?