Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: favorite ports and hated ports

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Correct, when I saw GBA DOOM I for the first time, I knew I reconized the level design from the start lol
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hated:
    BurgerTime on the NES.

That game also gets my vote for the worst controls ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good(ones that I like more than the originals)

Donkey Kong Junior(NES) - The graphics aren't as good as the arcade but I love the improved control.
    Bubble Bobble(SMS) - the arcade version is a smidge nicer looking but the new content more than makes up for that.
    Omega Race(Vic20) - the glitches actually make for better gameplay.
    Golden Axe(Gen) - It's hard to explain but I think the slightly different feel makes for a better game.

Bad

The Last Ninja(NES) - the controls, the sound, you name it - ruined.
    Blaster in Midway Arcade Treasures(GC) - the extreme slowdown.
    Super Mario Bros 1 and Lost Levels in All Stars(SNES) - The delay on the brick bashing drives me nuts. The other ports on the compilation are good though.
    Phantasy Star in Phantasy Star Collection(GBA) - It wouldn't be too bad if it didn't crash.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: favorite ports and hated ports

BAD = Pac-Man Atari

GOOD = Jr. Pac-Man Atari

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alien Vs Predator - SNES. Now, I'm not sure if Capcom were taking the piss here, or what, but they didn't even attempt a half-decent conversion of the CPS2 game. I could understand it if they had to shrink the characters slightly, remove animation frames or have less depth in backgrounds, but they didn't even bother. Surely one of the most shocking games ever.

And yet Capcom still haven't bothered with an arcade faithful port. They did a quality job with Captain Commando on PSone, so why not follow that up with AvP? The mind boggles.

Anyhow this leads on nicely to a couple of excellent Capcom arcade ports:

Captain Commando - PSone. Smashing, quality conversion.

Final Fight - MegaCD. Ok, so there is a slight lack of colour depth but it's the most accurate, uncut (NTSC-J version) quality 2 player version of FF that you can have without getting the CPS1 board (or an X68000). Absolutely great.

And an honourable mention goes to the original Street Fighter 2 SNES conversion. Seeing this running on a Super Famicom was amazing, back in the day. Very, very impressive bit of coding.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good: Punch-out on NES. Best arcade to NES port. Even if it did not look as fancy. I think I spent alot more time on this one then I ever did at my local arcade.

Bad:

Snes DOOM. I just can't stand how bad the controls where after using the keyboard for so long.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good:
    Zelda Collectors Edition: Four great Zelda games on one disc, and the games were unchanged and true to the original.

Bad:
    Donkey Kong Country for the Game Boy Color (not the Game Boy Advance Version): I still don't know what Rare was thinking when they released this port. The SNES version of DKC pushed the graphical capacities of the SNES to the max. Now takt that game and put it on the technologically inferior Game Boy Color. Not Pretty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great:

Resident Evil 4-PS2- a near perfect port of what is in my opinion the greatest game on GC (until TW Princess) with many great extras that far surpassed what many thought could be done with the PS2 hardware.

Splintercell:chaos theory-PS2- again great looking and playing port , much better than Pandora Tommorrow ver on PS2 was.

Capcom vs. SNK-Dreamcast- smooooth arcade perfection which the same can be said about 90% of the 2-D ports on the great DC.

Soul Reaver-DC- just killed the PSone version graphically of course and it was a good looking game on the PSX.

Streetfighter 2-SNES- the first time I remember thinking this is TRUE arcade quality and near arcade perfect the Genesis version had horrible audio and watered out color scheme do to the Gennys small color pallete.

Mortal Kombat 2-SNES- I still prefer this version over the Genesis no matter what anyone says many of the same factors that made the SNES ver of SF2 far superior to the genesis version pertain to this one also.

Streetfighter Alpha 2-Saturn- True arcade perfect port with no need for the cart or any other type of add-on and still my single favorite 2-D fighter on console or Arcade.

SNES port of Killer Insinct- Hell it was better than the hack-job KI Gold version on the N64
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    BAD:

Grandia 2-PS2- terrible port of a great Dreamcast game, slowdown and choppy graphics prevail among other issues, I used this game in comparison with the DC version to show a few of my friends how wrong they were in the whole "PS2 is the second coming" and "Dreamcast sucks" debate

Wing commander 3-PSX- what happened? I miss my 3DO

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3-Saturn- What the hell is this? the Saturn is a freaking 2-D powerhouse and we get an inferior port of a game that the Saturn should be able to do with ease?

Super Bonk-SNES- just didnt have the same "feel" as the great Turbographix-16 games had , while not a bad game it jsut wasnt the same and the level design was lacking IMO.

Splinter Cell:Pandora tommorrow-Gamecube- Damn this game had lots of glitches it froze at least 3 times , convinced me that many developers spend much more time on the PS2 and Xbox ports of most games, plus the fewer buttons on the Gamecube controller just doesnt work for games like Splinter Cell and I LIKE the GC controller.
    Hell when I was leaving the train on one level Sam got stuck in mid air like spiderman and couldnt move

METAL GEAR SOLID 2:Substance-Xbox- yeah yeah yeah blame the slowdown and other Grapical glitches on a poor port or what the fuck ever the fact is that the Xbox couldnt handle the particle effects that is one of the PS2s strong points Most of the slowdown happens during the rain sequences and a few other areas or when many explosions are occuring at once=Particle effects.
    Even Kojima himself stated his dislike for the overated Xbox hardware as well as more than a few other Developers especially once they got a grasp on the supposedly "difficult to program for" PS2s capabilities and better development kits later on.

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

I agree with many f the ones already listed, so I will just add another to the list:

Best:
    Snatcher (Sega CD) - Fully fleshed-out Act 3? Yes Extended opening sequence? Yes Enahnce colors for a SCD title, great music and voice, minimal load times, etc? YES

Worst:
    Snatcher (PSX, Saturn) - Tsk, tsk, tsk. More colors? Yes. Bad redrawn artwork, badly redone music, horrible CG opening? Yes

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

awesome ports, hmm.
    -soul caliber for dc rapes the arcade one. IT LOOKS WAY BETTER!!!!!!!
    -wolfenstein for jaguar is cool. liked that it used the weapons from doom minus the BFG.
    -strider on genesis. not that good, but way better than the gay one for NES
    -is guilty gear for DC a port? i dunno if it is but that game rocks, and if it was in the arcade than this game is cool.
    THE DISLIKES!
    -chrono trigger for PSX. why does it slowdwn? and it's freakin missing tricks you could do with the snes one too. total poopness. not sayin i don't love it though, but it's still funky.
    -strider for nes. why? it's poopy.
    -revolution X for saturn. the game sux in arcade too, but this one is horrible cause it doesn't let you use the light gun! and i made my mom buy this one back in 98 cause of aerosmith...... jesus y?
    -initial D for Ps2. it's ok, but doesn't look as good on Ps2.
    the naomi 2 ver in arcade KILLS IT.
    -the ps2 version of DOA2. DC one looks amazing. the ps2 one just feels Wrong.
    just about anything that went from DC to ps2 sux.
    MY damn fds is being stupid so i bought another, that one didn't work, so i bought another, and another and another and another.....................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyway_Recreation
    -strider on genesis. not that good, but way better than the gay one for NES
    Oh man, I LOVED when developers made brand new games for the NES based on arcade properties. As much fun as I had with Strider, Bionic Commando, and Rygar in the arcades, I prefer the NES versions over them any day of the week. They went from being action games to becoming action adventures, and that was a damn smart move imo (rather than try to make an inaccurate as all hell piece of shit port, which is sadly what EA elected to do with Medal of Honor Underground on the GBA).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

My most Favorite ports.

Saturn
    MetalSlug
    KOF 95
    Radiant Silvergun
    Fantasy Zone

DC
    Soul Cailber
    Sega GameWorks
    Daytona USA

TG16/PCE
    Dragon Spirit
    Ninja Spirit
    Monster Lair
    Cadash still out does the genesis version.

Again that's all i can think of for the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

My most Favorite ports.

Saturn
    MetalSlug
    KOF 95
    Radiant Silvergun
    Fantasy Zone

DC
    Soul Cailber
    Sega GameWorks
    Daytona USA

TG16/PCE
    Dragon Spirit
    Ninja Spirit
    Monster Lair
    Cadash still out does the genesis version.

Again that's all i can think of for the moment.