Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I play Mario Sunshine?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome game that any Mario fan should play, it's one reason I bought my GameCube august 28, 2002 the day Sunshine released in the States.

Must own if you own a GameCube IMO

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by videogameking26
    Must own if you own a GameCube IMO
    agreed, the only problem with Sunshine is the camera (for a few tasks that is) but you can live with that. Everything else about this game is very polished and it just looks and plays amazing.
    -Jan

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the game though I never finished it myself. I'm thinking of going back to it soon. I may just start over from the beginning. I think it's an excellent game...probably not as groundbreaking as Super Mario 64 (which caused many people to unfairly pan it) but still worthwhile and better than a lot of games out there.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder if more people would've liked the game if it didn't have Mario in it. Same gameplay, but a totally new main character. People's preconceived notions of what a Mario game should be probably influenced their opinions.

Not that that's true for everyone, but I'm sure there's at least a few people who were like, "Mario with a water pack? Forget this."

Strawberry (Level 2) The Great Dane's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotuba
    I wonder if more people would've liked the game if it didn't have Mario in it. Same gameplay, but a totally new main character. People's preconceived notions of what a Mario game should be probably influenced their opinions.

Not that that's true for everyone, but I'm sure there's at least a few people who were like, "Mario with a water pack? Forget this."
    Yeah, that is exactly how some people are with the game. I know of one person in particular, actually. He was a guy that I was sorta friends with a year or so ago. We were talking one day about games, and I mentioned that I really like the Gamecube, and just like ALL mature people, his eyebrows rose and he smirked at me, because its true that ONLY kids play Nintendo games, not people who are my age (24, or 23 at the time). I told him about how the games on the Gamecube might have "cute" graphics for some of them, yet the games are awesome to play. He didn't believe me. Then, I told him about Sunshine and told him all about what it is about and what you do. He told me that he would never play it because the idea of having a waterpack in a Mario game was stupid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah play it. its a wonderful game, but dont expect anything revolutionary. i get kinda pissed when people unfairly judge the game. It is amazing and a must-own, especially if ur a fan of mario games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Play it. Rolling giant watermelons around is fun

I've yet to finish the game myself though :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nesmaster
    you should try Billy Hatcher then
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So true. I actually have made the same observation about Chrono Cross. Although a lot of people have legitimate gripes about the game, and I'm not going to say they don't, the most common complaint I hear from people who played Chrono Cross is that "It's not like Chrono Trigger." And I'm like "yeah, so what?" Most games aren't like Chrono Trigger, but that doesn't make them bad.

The thing with Mario Sunshine is that it's probably the only platformer I've really enjoyed in the last five years, although I hear good things about the Ratchet and Clank series that I haven't tried yet. But the thing is that most 3D platformers bore me to tears. I hate cliched level design with repeating scenery where you do nothing but go on scavenger hunts for stupid items.

When I picked up Mario Sunshine, I could get into it, because each level was actually well-designed and felt gratifying to explore. Sure, there are still red and blue coins to find in some situations, but scavenging is not the primary focus of the game thankfully, and at least as I said it's fun to explore the levels for once. There's plenty of beautiful scenery to bounce around, lots of fun little objectives to do, bosses to beat, and fairly challenging old-school Mario levels where you don't get to use your water pack and instead just have to rely on quick jumping and reflexes.

So the game successfully got me, a guy who normally hates 3D platformers (with the exception of Mario 64, Sonic Adventure, and a couple others) to like a 3D platformer again. That's how well I think of it.

My only real complaint with the game is that technically you don't have to get most of the shines. It would be nice if there were more of an incentive to get the majority of the shines, like with the stars in Mario 64. But otherwise, great game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I already asked this same question about a year and a half ago. Bought it. Played the hell out of it. Loved it. Waiting for more.

The only thing I didn't like is how hard some of it is. Some of it is REALLY hard. And not just the final shines in the levels, but out of order hard. Fortunately not too hard that I couldn't beat the game. But a bit unforgiving at some times.

Mainly those damned, but cool looking, "secrets" that take place in neat building-block areas. Some are easy, but some are just so hard.

But it does give you a challenge. I still loved it. It is no less Mario than Super Mario Bros 2 was back in the day.

Get it. The only thing that really bugs me is Yoshi.. He hates water! WTF? Yoshi LOVES WATER! Why did they all of a sudden turn him into the Wicked Witch of the West and make him melt when he hits water? Why?

It could be a long time before 128 even shows up in preview form. Buy this now! It's only $20 new. And worth more than that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Super Mario Sunshine is awesome. Play it.

I can't complain about it. Every time i play it, it is just so enjoyable and creative.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would definitly recommend to play it

I mean it was a decent game

in my opinion not the best mario game but it was alot of fun from what i played of it

I should replay it maybe eventually

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nesmaster

I've yet to finish the game myself though :/
    Heh, I still haven't gotten the true ending to SM64...

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I adore Super Mario 64 to the point where my friend and I labored until we discovered everything that the game had to offer.

I just picked up Super Mario 64 DS last night and it will be interesting to see if they did the same thing to the true ending of DS as they did to the N64 version. I highly doubt it but it would be cool.

Sunshine? It was a natural for me to pick up. I quit out on it after two seperate decent attempts, purchasing it twice. I never became comfortable enough with the camera to gain the necessary control over the game.....or the awful graphics. By that statement I'm referring to the soft filter on the draw distances. It gave me a headache. I also wish that they had of given the game the same free roaming setup as 64. I ended up with a pile of open worlds, each one "stuck" on a mission that I didn't want to, or couldn't do. Never did get that damned sandbird level done. As soon as he went vertical I fell off. I just could NOT do it. The game ended for me there since the game is structured so that you can't go on without completing the previous mission. I found the game to be unfairly difficult.

If you ask me, I'd say that for the majority of people out there Mario Sunshine is destined to be nothing but eventual uncompleted trade-in fodder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

idk why every1 keeps saying its extremely diffficut. sure, there are parts of the game that i got stuck on, but i eventually beat it. i dont think u should pass the game up for this reason. i feel it helped me 2 become an overall better gamer. if u dont mind putting some time into it i suggest u play it, but if u want no challenge, go play lego star wars or sumthin

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Dane
    Then, I told him about Sunshine and told him all about what it is about and what you do. He told me that he would never play it because the idea of having a waterpack in a Mario game was stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapple
    So true. I actually have made the same observation about Chrono Cross. Although a lot of people have legitimate gripes about the game, and I'm not going to say they don't, the most common complaint I hear from people who played Chrono Cross is that "It's not like Chrono Trigger." And I'm like "yeah, so what?" Most games aren't like Chrono Trigger, but that doesn't make them bad.
    Yeah, these attitudes are too bad. Not liking something when you've actually tried it is, of course, fine. But rejecting something because you think it sounds like an idea is stupid, or by only comparing it to something else, as opposed to judging it on its own merits. . .well, it limits you to new experiences. Or something. I dunno. Mario roolz 4-eva. . .

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I get that crap from everybody. "Nintendo is for kids, their games are boring". Blah blah blah. Whatever, I've always thought nothing can match the gameplay of a Nintendo game, and nothing ever will.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Althought I never finished it from what I played mario sunshine was a great game. Some parts are a bit fustrating but over all a good game. I don't think it's as good as Mario 64 though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are some difficult parts to Sunshine, but I enjoyed the difficulty. You shouldn't be able to go through a game the first time through without dieing a few times, for any game. That's too easy. Some of the old school jumping levels really lit the fire under me to beat them. But all of the levels are fair, at least.

The only part of the game that I felt was really, unfairly hard is the balloon-popping mission in Pinna Park. I still can't beat it. Fortunately, it's not a prerequisite to beating the game.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder if more people would've liked the game if it didn't have Mario in it. Same gameplay, but a totally new main character.
    Nope. Washing mud off stuff is not fun. It's work. Yuck!

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!