Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joystiq's Top 10 "Hidden Gems" of this Generation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Magus
    Actually, Eternal Darkness was the one game I was extremely happy to see on that list.

I feel it never gained the recognition it truly deserved... It has always been undermimed as a B-graded Resident Evil wannabe, but in reality I found that it surpassed Capcom's survival horror series in almost every aspect. The graphics may be just above average, and the gameplay mechanics don't always feel that fluid, but the deep, epic storyline and atmosphere are second to none. The game is geared towards adult gamers in every possible sense (probably moreso than any other game I've played so far), and is a stab in the heart to those who see Nintendo as a "kiddy-only" company.
    Eternal Darkness was the only game I felt didn't deserve a place on the list simply because of the clunky play mechanics spoiling it for me.

Past that, yep, good list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting list, I have to admit to not hearing of a couple of them... just not as up on the current games I guess. I picked up Eternal Darkness when I first got my Gamecube back in 2002, I think it was. I remember thinking it was great and playing through it thrice right away since I only had that and that year's NCAA football, though it's sat on the shelf ever since.

But, like others, they went on my to-buy list and wouldn't you know I stopped by EB tonight and picked up a few at the buy 2, get 1 sale. I'd been wanting to get Ikaruga for a while, so I picked up that, Ico and Indigo Prophecy. Now I know what I'll be doing over winter break.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Glad to see ICO and beyond good and evil got a high spot. BG&E deserves every right to hold the #2 position. I also need to get ahold of a copy of psychonaughts myself.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interestingly, I came here to post Gamepro's "Ten Underappreciated Gems." Might as well do it here, as it seems to be basically a similar list:

1. Ico (PS2)
    2. Poy Poy (PSX)
    3. Beyond Good & Evil (PS2)
    4. Incredible Crisis (PSX)
    5 Katamari Damacy (PS2)
    6 Adv. of Cookie and Cream (PS2)
    7. Mad Maestro (PS2)
    8. T2: Judgement Day
    9. Typing of the Dead (Dreamcast)
    10. Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES)

Let's ignore the fact that the list is pretty Sony-centric. Let's also ignore the fact that several of these were released for more than one platform. I'd have to agree with several of them as being underappreciated. BG&E, Incred. Crisis, and Typing fo the Dead to be sure. But Katamari? Sorry, an "underappreciated game" does NOT get a sequel. And T2 is underappreciated? Hell, that arcade game was released for virtually every system I can think of - including the Game Boy! "Underappreciated game" does NOT get released across a shitload of different platforms.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a really good list.

I love the games mentioned on there such as Rez, Eternal Darkness and ICO. ICO is just amazing, I throughly enjoyed my playthrough of it recently. The ones that I haven't played on there that I REALLY want to check out are:

Gamecube - Beyond Good & Evil
    Gamecube - Killer 7
    Xbox - Psychonauts
    Xbox - Stubbs the Zombie

Beyond Good & Evil I've heard nothing but good things about, and most people have said the GC version is the best. Killer 7 looks awesome and I'm probably gonna pick that one up this Xmas. Psychonauts I want to play just simply because Tim Schafer is involved and I worship his Lucasarts adventure games. Stubbs hasn't seemed to have sold well AT ALL at my Best Buy, but all reviews I've read said it's actually an excellent game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They probably contend T2 is unappreciated because of all the bitching the GB version caused

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ooh...incredible crisis? i tried it and sucked horrible at it. maybe ill give it another go....i dont think i reached level 4..