Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PS2 sold over 100 million units!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nemesis223
    PSN
    Nemesis2233

Quote Originally Posted by Xizer
    I bet at least a third of those are replacements for broken PS2s.

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

probably NOT

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stonic
    Quote Originally Posted by whoisKeel
    PlayStation 2 is strongly supported by a wide range of users as well as from third party developers and publishers, and by maintaining backward compatibility of software titles for its predecessor system for the first time in the history of computer entertainment...
    First time?
    Whoa... how did I miss that mouthful of crap? LOL
    If Sony is referring to the home-console market, which I assume it is, then the statement is correct. (The Atari 7800 wasn't the successor to the Atari 2600; the 5200 was.)

-- Z.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    Quote Originally Posted by stonic
    Quote Originally Posted by whoisKeel
    PlayStation 2 is strongly supported by a wide range of users as well as from third party developers and publishers, and by maintaining backward compatibility of software titles for its predecessor system for the first time in the history of computer entertainment...
    First time?
    Whoa... how did I miss that mouthful of crap?
    If Sony is referring to the home-console market, which I assume it is, then the statement is correct. (The Atari 7800 wasn't the successor to the Atari 2600; the 5200 was.)

-- Z.
    Unless you allow for the SMS-Genny converter. Or take handhelds into consideration.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So which thread to believe? The 74 million PS2s sold thread or this one cliaming 100 mil?

And is PS2 is at 100 wouldn't PSX/one be somewhere around 110 mil?

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_psx
    So which thread to believe? The 74 million PS2s sold thread or this one cliaming 100 mil?

And is PS2 is at 100 wouldn't PSX/one be somewhere around 110 mil?
    The 74-million thread was started more than a year ago. The PS2 has reached the 100-million mark in the year between that thread and this one. The old thread was correct, and the new one is correct.

Speaking of that old thread, perhaps you missed my question there, so I'll repeat it here: where did you get your Nintendo hardware sales figures, which led you to erroneously claim that the N64 and GameCube had sold as many systems as the NES and SNES?

As for the PSone, no, it wouldn't be at 110 million because Sony's and the retail world's marketing efforts are focused on the PS2, Xbox, and GameCube. The PSone's broadcast day is over. A previous-gen console isn't going to sell ten million systems four years after being superceded by new hardware. Why would you think any different?

-- Z.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    Why's PS1 stuck at 100 million? It was there back in 2003. Thought PS1 = 110 million by now?
    The PS1 hit the end of its lifecycle. It's not "stuck" at 100 million--it ended at 100 million.
    PS1 hasn't reached the end of its cycle. Its still selling as the white-colored version & likely sold another 10 million since 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by myself
    Sure it has. Nintendo's "failed" N64 and "failed" Gamecube both sold as many units as the #1 NES or #1 SNES. Nintendo benefited from the growing popularity of gaming - such that even "failed" consoles = NES/SNES in units sold.
    I was wrong about the GameCube - it only sold 20 million so far.

Between 1985-91 NES sold about 30 million. Same amount as SNES. Same amount as the N64. My source for these figures are too many to list - Newsweek, NPD, digitpress.com, this forum, and other articles.

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_psx
    Between 1985-91 NES sold about 30 million. Same amount as SNES. Same amount as the N64. My source for these figures are too many to list - Newsweek, NPD, digitpress.com, this forum, and other articles.
    While your sentence is written in a such a way that you're claiming the NES, SNES, and N64 all sold about 30 million units between 1985 and 1991, I'm guessing that what you meant is that each of those systems sold 30 million units in its first six years of existence. I don't know offhand if this is the case or not, but I suspect you're incorrect. Is this the claim you were trying to make in your earlier post, and I misunderstood, or is this a different claim?

Also, could you cite just one or two specific sources for any of your numbers? I don't need a list, just one or two. I've yet to find a single source that backs your statements, so I'm hoping you can help me out.

-- Z.