Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Default Lieberman-Clinton push federal bill to regulate game ratings

Article
    Doug Lowerstien Responds

Here we go again down the oh so american, over protective highway. I thought we had pleased Lieberman with the creation of the ESRB but apparently not.

Of course this all comes on the heels of NIMF's bad report card for the ESRB

As always these sorts of topic bring great discussion, so have at it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Regulations are fine with me.... it theoretically will allow game developers to produce adult games...have them rated for adults only...have them sold to adults only...and thus everyone is happy. Except for minors..and screw them they don't deserve to be happy until they are legal.

Guy Game II anyone?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have a problem with this, either. The primary argument against this is, in my mind, that these regulations should be made by the parents. But they aren't doing it. Better the government than no one, I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem is that the Family Media group is also trying to enforce a stronger rating system which they have developed (They are a for-profit group by the way) that would have made REsident Evil 4, GTA, God of War, and most all your favorite games of the year AO titles, which wouldn't have been sold by any of the retailers most of us frequent for video game purchases.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Quote Originally Posted by pacmanhat
    I don't have a problem with this, either. The primary argument against this is, in my mind, that these regulations should be made by the parents. But they aren't doing it. Better the government than no one, I guess.
    The biggest problem with federal regulation is that it opens the door to so much more. Precidents are a very dangerous thing.

One must also ask if such a law is nessacary as it is often not wise to pass a law unless it's needed. Given the results of recent pollings over whether or not americans want Government oversight of Television relveal that American definitely want the Gov to avoid federal regulation. It's a safe bet that most americans probably feel the same way about movies and games.

Just who is this bill for anyways and what grounds do they have for submitting it?