Thread: The Future Of Videogaming articles, your thoughts?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Future Of Videogaming articles, your thoughts?

http://www.benheck.com/Articles/FutureGames2005.htm

The all-knowing Ben Heckendorn has his predictions for the next generation consoles. Do you agree with his assessments?

Basically he says the PS3 will own, the Xbox 360 will come in 2nd and the Revolution will be in the bargain bin soon. Some of it is common sense, but I think he gives too much credit to Sony. I'm one of the original PlayStation's biggest fans, but I the PS3 just isn't doing anything for me. (And his award for crappiest controller goes to PS3? I thought Revolution would win and PS3 be the runner up)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

his Xbox 360 and PS3 analysis is pretty good. His Revolution predictions on the other hand might be the worst analysis of a future system i have ever read. It's SO far off from what will actually happen (not that i know what will happen, but i can guarantee you he is wrong), it's unbelievable. But what can you expect from someone stating "I thought Nintendo would be done with consoles after the last generation".
    -Jan

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To be fair, Nintendo's controller is a big gamble, and they've gone on record as saying it would be a huge disappointment if the Revolution didn't outperform the GameCube (in terms of sales). You could interpret these two facts as something that might suggest Nintendo would start to concentrate on the handheld market, or something. I don’t think it’ll happen, though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I disagree with his predictions. He gives too much credit to Sony and not enough credit to Microsoft or Nintendo. He compares the Xbox 360 launch to the Dreamcast launch and says that people will wait until all three systems are out before making a decision about which one to buy. However, the PS2 came out a year before its competitiors, and it is leading the current console war. And he's already saying that the Rev. controllers are crap, even though he probably hasn't tried it yet. The Rev. controller will be the wild card in this new generation. It will be what makes or breaks Nintendo. It's hard to say how people will respond to the new controller, as reactions about it have been mixed. I think that the next console race will be a close one, with all three systems doing well.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He makes a good point about developers not wanting to map xbox 360/ps3 games to the new revolution controller. However, that's to say that there won't be a regular gamecube-style controller available on revolution. There has to be a regular controller avialable. Nintendo doesn't have that much balls to do away with one.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ben is the funniest fucking bastid...always loved his sense of humor.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's funny, granted, however, I think he is wrong. There are enough Nintendo fanboys (myself included) that will buy this thing regardless since it's Nintendo.

Nintendo has, arguably, has THE finest 1st part releases this last generation and will continue to pump out amazing software in the future. As long as the Rev controller WORKS better than the powerglove did, it will be a success.

The argument that EA will not port the latest Madden to the Rev is really a moot point, who gives a fuck? I personally don't give a shit about sports games or EA's constant, iterative tripe they pass off as 'new' games. The whole point of the Revolution is to create NEW AND INTERSTING GAME IDEAS! Not to convert old games to the new controller.

Someone back me up here...

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

EA not porting Madden is a moot point?

I don't care if its a mainstream game that "hardcore" gamers don't like and i don't care if its the same game each year with a different roster...thats sales out the window.

And having some "good, keep the mainstream players off my system" mentality is just plain stupid.

Systems live and die by the support they recieve. There is a reason why the Gamecube is where its at and thats because its got the little support it has.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that his predictions for sony and microsoft is accruate but since we really haven't seen the ps3 im not sure

though the prediction of the revolution is definitly far off

even thouhg the controller is out there

i still think it's gonna be a great system but im still on the fence about the 360

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs
    EA not porting Madden is a moot point?

I don't care if its a mainstream game that "hardcore" gamers don't like and i don't care if its the same game each year with a different roster...thats sales out the window.

And having some "good, keep the mainstream players off my system" mentality is just plain stupid.

Systems live and die by the support they recieve. There is a reason why the Gamecube is where its at and thats because its got the little support it has.
    Good points, I can see what you mean. I can appreciate that many people like Madden games, but I think that developers will be forced to think of new game ideas. This will either work out well or they will be shitty, gimmicky games and they will bail on the Rev. like they did on the Gamecube.

Third party support is desperately needed on the Rev just like you say. Without it, we will get one or two good games from Nintendo per year and that SUCKS. I guess we'll just have to see what they come up with.