Thread: OPM 100th Anniversary i(zzz)ue...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default OPM 100th Anniversary i(zzz)ue...

Anybody get this yet? It's the January '06 issue, & a bit dull for a 100th anniversary issue IMO. The only items that come close to anniversary content are a 10-year history/recap of 100 prominent "must-play" PS/PS2 games (only a handful per year, though), & a jam-packed demo disc w/ a dozen current-gen demos. Oh, & a contest to win said 100 games.

I think a good idea wouldve been several demos of the prominent games they had on their list. I wouldnt mind a demo of Jumping Flash, Soul Blade, Parappa, Klonoa: DtP or any of the other "dont miss" games.

Strangely, they also featured a multi-page interview w/ XBOX honcho (!!!) J. Allard. It's an interesting read, but I wonder how much backlash the PS fanboys are going to give them for that!

Speaking of which, there's no reason to start a console-bashfest in this thread, please. Thanky!
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What Demos are on it? That determines if I pick up the mag. I don't like the magazine that much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly, I haven't liked the magazine since it became the "Official Playstation Magazine." Back when it was just good old PSX Magazine, the format was a lot better, I thought. Less pop-culture clutter that has nothing to do with games, no Sony ass-kissing, no celebrity interviews or anything of that nature. And I liked the reviews a lot more. They had each game reviewed by multiple people who had different personal tastes, instead of the cut-and-dry unwitty reviews that've had since.

That being said, I continued to subscribe to the magazine for about three years just because of the demo discs, but I haven't been a fan of the magazine itself for a long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple
    Honestly, I haven't liked the magazine since it became the "Official Playstation Magazine." Back when it was just good old PSX Magazine, the format was a lot better, I thought. Less pop-culture clutter that has nothing to do with games, no Sony ass-kissing, no celebrity interviews or anything of that nature. And I liked the reviews a lot more. They had each game reviewed by multiple people who had different personal tastes, instead of the cut-and-dry unwitty reviews that've had since.

That being said, I continued to subscribe to the magazine for about three years just because of the demo discs, but I haven't been a fan of the magazine itself for a long time.
    Yeah, I completely agree. Though, for a few months or so, OPM was solid, just not as good as PSX magazine.

At that time though, I went with PSM then. PSM was fantastic back in the day, now, they just suck

Yet, my love for the Slate still remains. Gotta love that guy. Nintendo fan for life, writing for a Sony mag, beautiful.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

got the issue too and I agree that it's also pretty dull for a 100th issue. I also think it would've been cool to include a few of the demos of games on the top 100 list. Don't like the mag either, I just get it for the demo discs now...which many times are also lackluster. Here's this issue's demo breakdown:

Playable:
    The Matrix: Path of Neo
    From Russis with Love
    Castlevania: CoD
    We Love Katamari
    Spartan
    The Sims 2
    Shrek Superslam
    Conflict: Global Terror
    Pac-Man World 3
    The Incredibles
    NHL 2006
    Neopets

Videos:
    Gun
    True Crime: NYC

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got this but haven't had time to get into it too much. The big article is actually cover-billed as "The Essential 100: The Playstation 1, Playstation 2 and PSP Games You Must Play Before You Die". The funny thing, of course, is that they only saw fit to include two (2!) PSP games, not a glowing recommendation for the system. I guess I won't have to buy one after all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It would have been really cool if they had included a full game on the disc similar to what PC Gamer has done. Oh well.

The last time I bought the mag was when GTA Vice City was released. Now I just wait and try to pick up the demos later in lots. I have a soft spot for collecting demos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't bought it in awhile either. I currently have a free 6-issue subscription...someone posted here earlier in the year how to get that. I have one more issue to go so I was glad it lasted long enough to get this "special" issue. The PSM 100th issue wasn't very good either...

By the way, 1Up.com has a current contest going on where you can win all of the 100 games that made that list.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When it comes to ass-kissing fanboys, The Official Xbox Magazine takes the cake. I'm an Xbox fan, but their "Xbox is the best system in the known universe and Halo is the best game EVAH!" shit makes me want to hurl.

I've found that OPM is consistently the best read of them all, sad or not. I haven't checked out Nintendo Power in a year or so, but now that I'm a happy DS owner, that might have to change.

I used to love Dave Halverson's incredible Gamer's Republic Magazine and own every issue. THAT was a mag that was worth way more than what you paid for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default OPM, sign of the times

OPM's 100th issue is just another example of how hard it is to really be pumped about the current state of the game industry. I think all mags right now are trying very hard to have a good read, and sadly there isnt alot of new info right now to report that hasnt been spilled already. The one thing that I like about OPM is the demos that they always have with the mag. They seem to always have one or two demos that are worth checking out. I can honestly and 100% agree with the Offical Xbox mag being the worst piece of shit to ever exist. I thought Nintnedo Power was bad x_x.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple

I tried OPM, but hated the layout! One minute I'm reading a review for "The Misadventures of Tron Bonne" (Which they hated), then I see a Freaking HUGE ad for Madden! Also, they basicly love anything with "Madden" or "Crash Bandicoot" in the title, which gets annoying seeing them say over and over "Buy Crash Team Racing!"

If you want a good Offical magazine, then go with eather Offical Dreamcast Magizine (Not in Print anymore, check eBay) or Nintendo Power, or just get EGM or Game Informer.

BTW, how many Crash Bandicoot and Madden games made the list? Did "Final Fantasy 7" or "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night" even get on it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, here's the complete list of the 100 games, arranged by system...

Playstation 1
    Jumping Flash!
    Raiden Project
    Ridge Racer
    Wipeout
    Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
    Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
    Twisted Metal 2
    Bushidol Blade
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Colony Wars
    Final Fantasy VII
    PaRappa the Rapper
    Rage Racer
    Resident Evil 2
    Soul Blade
    Tomb Raider II
    Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Gran Turismo
    Hot Shots Golf
    Klonoa
    Metal Gear Sollid
    Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
    Spyro the Dragon
    Suikoden 2
    Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
    Tomba!
    Xenogears
    Ape Escape
    Crash Team Racing
    Medal of Honor
    R-Type Delta
    Silent Hill
    Street Fighter Alpha 3
    Syphon Filter
    Chrono Cross
    Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
    Rayman 2: The Great Escape
    Spider-Man
    Vagrant Story

Playstation 2
    Smuggler's Run
    ATV Offroad Fury
    Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
    Dance Dance Revolution
    Devil May Cry
    Final Fantasy X
    Grand Theft Auto III
    Ico
    Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
    NBA Street
    Red Faction
    SSX Tricky
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
    Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
    Fatal Frame
    Kingdom Hearts
    The Mark of Kri
    Medal of Honor: Frontline
    Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
    Rez
    .hack//Infection
    Amplitude
    Beyond Good & Evil
    Dark Cloud 2
    Freedom Fighters
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    High Heat Major League Baseball 2004
    Madden NFL 2004
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    Soul Calibur II
    Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
    World Soccer Winning Eleven 7
    Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
    Burnout 3: Takedown
    Final Fantasyu XI
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing
    Katamari Damacy
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    Onimusha 3: Demon Siege
    Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005
    Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening
    Dynasty Warriors 5
    EyeToy: Kinetic
    God of War
    Gran Turismo 4
    Lego Star Wars
    Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition
    Resident Evil 4
    Shadow of the Colossus
    SOCOM 3: U.S. Navy SEALs
    Star Wars Battlefront II
    Tekken 5
    TimeSplitters: Future Perfect
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

PSP
    Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
    Lumines

Note: The magazine listed them by year which will explain the odd order above. For instance, the first 4 are from 1995 and then the next 3 are from 1996...

And you can see two Crash games made it (one adventure, one racing), one Madden game, and Final Fantasy VII and Castlevania did indeed make the list.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GrayFox
    At that time though, I went with PSM then. PSM was fantastic back in the day, now, they just suck :-/
    yeah I kinda feel the same sentiement...stupid minor things like their new recommendation system "Buy or Die", just seems like shameless attempts to be hip. they also lost the "artists" cover going for pre-rendered stuff.

but still 12 bucks a year for a sub isn't too bad and I need something to occupy my time during my daily commute