Thread: Anyone feeling the Christmas Spirit of giving?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone feeling the Christmas Spirit of giving?

(Not sure which gaming forum to put this)

This charity takes old used games/systems and gives them to children's hospitals. Looks like a great way to brighten some unfortunate child's day. Check it out.

http://www.get-well-gamers.org/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am an unfortunate child...

from a broken home...

with a broken heart....

ANYONE here wanna give me anything?

(i give to the neighborhood kids... training them in the beauty of OLD SKOOL!...NES SNES GENNY)...
    GRAB that rarity away from the LOSER in front of you at that garage sale... they do not DESERVE it

Life is short... Take what you can...

"mine mine mine"...D. Duck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

I've thought of creating a non-profit charitable endeavor along these lines, but two things other than time and logistics kept me from taking it to the next level:

1) Childrens' high expectations for low-cost technological gifts. I've had some experience with this already building and giving PC's to some of the kids in my neighborhood. You build them something that they can do homework on when they really want a screaming Web browsing machine that plays DVD's. So I can just see myself gleefully hooking up a Colecovision in the children's ward only to have my mellow completely harshed by some adorable little peanut, dying of cancer, who says, "Will we be able to play Halo on this?" Me: "Uh, no, kid. Sorry...But Venture is really cool. "

2) If someone donated to my charity a box of old "Atari tapes" with a Chase The Chuckwagon and a Malagai inside I guarantee you those wouldn't be being passed on to the young'uns. Ho ho. Honestly if these Get Well Gamers are skimming out the r7's and up I really don't have a problem with them doing it. I just think I'd have a serious problem with me doing it all.

But hey, if these guys can make this work and put some smiles on some kids I say more power to them.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The hospital I work at has an SNES, N64 and Gamecube set up behind the nurses station in the pediatrics department (sick children). One day they were all gone and I asked what happened, someone told me "they like to steal the games" you're telling me sick children take those games home when they leave? "Yes."

So fuck this thread. and fuck ignorant little brats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stonic
    You can start by giving me the phone # of your avatar woman :P
    I'll pass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mills
    So fuck this thread. and fuck ignorant little brats.
    Wow. Fuck your Christmas spirit, while you're at it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive never stolen a hospitals games or systems.
    But I have to spend months of my life in the hospital every year. And when your treated like a complete piece of shit who doesnt know anything about anything (every time you go ) + $35,000 a visit...I feel like taking something to piss someone off.Now I wish I had taken a freaking XBox since no one cares at all

Sorry end of rant. I hate hospitals.

Back on topic...I would totally donate to a childrens ward.
    At least one kid would enjoy it for a little while
    Vectors, pixels & polygons

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too many cruel people in the world, on all sides and all levels.

It's a worthy cause. There's no room for argument.
    As long as some sick kids have fun with the results of this program, it's successful.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh, wow. That was not so much the spirit of giving from a bunch of people that I have come to expect on these boards.

I was in the hospital in '99 with an extremely bad case of mono. To the point that the doctors actually thought I could die. Wow, was it not fun. I was in so much pain, dying actually didn't sound like such a bad option.

While I was in the hospital, even though I was old enough that the nurse told me he shouldn't offer this, they had an N64 with some games to play, and no one else was using it. So he wheeled it in.

I played it all night, and it was very comforting even though I was in so much pain. I played lots of WaveRace, some Mario 64 and some Mario Kart. It definitely helped.

We don't have the funds right now, but I've already decided that when we do the GOAT Store will be donating a bunch of Dreamcast consoles and copies of all of our releases to hospitals involved in stuff like this, as long as I can ensure it will get there. It definitely made me feel better. I want to pass on the same thing.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am a cheap and selfish piece of crap, so I should'nt even be on this post...

UPDATE: well, I got some good news, and some bad news:
    The bad news is that Wisconsin, my state, has been voted the least giving in the U.S. The good news is, however, that Dane County, WI, the one I live in, is considered the most giving. What a world...