0 Posts

Default Attention Pheonix area gamers, Attention Please

Games Plus sucks.

That is all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes all ways have allways will. They check ebay for everything. Who Shot Johnny Rock (SCD) $20. There crap is way over priced.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I visited my parents in AJ in March, and I visited the store. I agree that the prices are a bit high. The two guys in there told me that they had just taken over and hadn't priced most of the stuff yet, but according to the website, that was in October. I HATE when stores don't have prices on stuff. I did get a semi-sealed 7800 Super Skateboardin' for 27 bucks though. :/
    "Where my finger goes is none of your goddamn business." -Metropolisforever

"my house is burning down as I type this because of a Sega AC adapter" -Oobgarm

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate hate hate that place. The owners are real jerks. I miss the old owner, he had some stuff over priced, but for common NES games he only charged me 10 bucks for three. I built much of my collection from the place.

Clay

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah yes....the infamous games plus. A little while ago, probably four or five months now, I figured I'd give them another try. Of course they used their infamous "we're still pricing our inventory we took over from half a year ago" ploy but I decided to roll with it anyhow. So I pick out about 15 classic pc games which I figured they wouldnt give much of a rat's ass about, but with the 650 dollar total, I guess I was wrong.

Guess it makes sense though, since just looking up King's Quest Collection on ebay would be half the freaking price. That place just looks dirty and ratty, most of the games are in ass condition, and everything is insanely expensive for no reason. Mesa's bookman's has also gotten way too expensive so I hardly travel out there anymore. My advice for any new Az people heading out that way....if you see games plus, don't let temptation suck you in. Just keep driving south. Anyway, all in all, yes they suck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    Who Shot Johnny Rock
    Its ok i survived.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

This is good to know, seeing as how I'm still looking for any decent game stores anywhere between Mesa and Phoenix.

Pear (Level 6) Reverend JagDiesel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good luck finding any good game shops in the East Valley! I've been going to all these places for years, off and on, and their prices continually go up.
    There are some decent thrifts in Mesa and Chandler, I won't say which ones though...
    I've been to a couple over in Glendale that are decent. Yeah, and the fleas are getting good.
    I'd also suggest the occassional trip to Tucson
    You can put a man on trial, but you can't make the guilty pay.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Games Plus didn't used to be all that bad. It's one of the only places in Phoenix that you can walk into and buy a 2600, Master system, etc. However, the prices are higher than eBay prices.

They actually straight look at eBay before deciding on how much they'll sell and item to you for.

It's a real shame that they're so, so shitty as their selection is kind of nice.

Their problem is that they have zero business skills. if they would lower their prices they'd make so much more money than they do right now by having such jacked up prices and waiting for people to pay the big bucks.

With their mentality I don't know why they just don't eBay their entire invantory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zadoc
    Games Plus didn't used to be all that bad. It's one of the only places in Phoenix that you can walk into and buy a 2600, Master system, etc. However, the prices are higher than eBay prices.

They actually straight look at eBay before deciding on how much they'll sell and item to you for.

It's a real shame that they're so, so shitty as their selection is kind of nice.

Their problem is that they have zero business skills. if they would lower their prices they'd make so much more money than they do right now by having such jacked up prices and waiting for people to pay the big bucks.

With their mentality I don't know why they just don't eBay their entire invantory.
    When these new guys bought the store, it went from pretty bad to just plain shitty. I haven't been in there in quite a while but have driven by a few times when up in Mesa.
    I was soooo close to buying the place from Renny (guy who used to own it) on several occassions but just couldn't see staying in business. I likely would've bought it, inventoried it, listed stuff on DP/AA and then on eBay. Renny was a bad businessman and never gave me a solid asking price so I gave up...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't remember now, but somewhere in that general area (I think it may be in Mesa), there's a record store (yes, they have actual records) that has a selection of video games. I got two original GB games for the plane ride, I think for $5 each. It may be worth a look if any of you haven't been yet. Plus they have some really nice vinyl there. I wish I could remember the name. I found it in my parents' phone book, they're in Apache Junction.
    "Where my finger goes is none of your goddamn business." -Metropolisforever

"my house is burning down as I type this because of a Sega AC adapter" -Oobgarm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fergojisan
    I can't remember now, but somewhere in that general area (I think it may be in Mesa), there's a record store (yes, they have actual records) that has a selection of video games. I got two original GB games for the plane ride, I think for $5 each. It may be worth a look if any of you haven't been yet. Plus they have some really nice vinyl there. I wish I could remember the name. I found it in my parents' phone book, they're in Apache Junction.
    That would be either Bookman's or Rockaway Records.
    Both are in Mesa. Rockaway is really hit n miss on classics but has a decent selection of post SNES stuff...

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fergojisan
    That store has to be Rockaway Records. They have quite an awesome selection of metal cds. I've found quite a few I'd been looking for, for a long long time. Their game selection is OK, nothing amazing. They did recently get in a whole bunch of atari and odyssey 2 stuff, but not worth the asking price.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just wanted to say again how very much this store is extremely not gamer friendly.

So... fellow Pheonix area gamers, any stores with a good retro selection in town, other than Gamers, Game Crazy, or any other store not already listed in this thread?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I Dear to ask, how much do they charge for 7800 Games like DK, DK jr, Xev, Ms. Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Pole Pos. & Pole Pos II

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SouthRox
    Steam
    SouthRox

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Rock View Post
    Its ok i survived.

That caught me off guard...

This games plus sounds like it ran by a bunch of douche bags

PSN: SouthRox

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mattiekrome View Post
    This games plus sounds like it ran by a bunch of douche bags

That's because it is. Allow me to elaborate in greater detail:

I don't even feel bad about blacklisting them. Games + is pretty much the only game store that we have in the Phoenix area that sells a lot of retro stuff. Not just the standard 16-bit and 8-bit stuff, but Vectrex, Master System, Atari, Intellivision... well, you get the picture.

A few years ago I bought this original Maganavox Odyssey on eBay. To my sad dissapointment, it does not work. I call them up and they tell me they can fix it. I drive about 40 minutes to their store, and throw down about $150 on some rare games.

None of the games have prices at this store, mind you. The douche behind the counter looks up each item on eBay before giving me a final price. Whatever, at least I don't have to pay for and wait for shipping. Dickish, though, it kind of is.

So, anyways, like five months pass. Each month I call them and they say that haven't got around to looking at my system yet. So, I go down there and the owner tells me that repairing Xboxes and PS2s takes priority of my console... which makes to fucking sense whatsoever, because I am paying the same price for the repairs.

"You can see why repairing current gen consoles takes priority, right?" He asked me with a straight face.

"No."

I took my console and said I'd never be back, and I won't. It's nice being able to actually see and test retro games before you take them home, but seriously, what's the point when they are charging the same price as eBay and are 40 minutes away from where I live?

As for buying newer games, I also can't stand being harassed for reservations, trade-ins, magazine subscriptions, or being pressured to buy the used copy of the same game for $4 less with only a slight scratch and water damaged manual. How EB-Stop thinks they can get away with selling just a game disc for $44.99 in a generic case without a game disc and manual is really beyond me.

As a result, I have exclusively purchased all video games online for well over a year now... maybe more than two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zadoc View Post
    The douche behind the counter looks up each item on eBay before giving me a final price.
    They did this to me once. I asked how much loose copy of Duck Tales was and he looked it up right in front of me ($20 too...the hell?)

I walked out and never came back.

If someone really wants to raise hell though, it is illegal to have unpriced product on the floor per AZ Dept of Weights and Measures law. I just guess they have never been inspected/reported.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Teh two kids that bought it from Renny are dumb asses. I have not gone there in so long. Over price beat up shit. At least Renny had good prices when you bought in bulk. Some of my best finds came from woking in that back room of that store.