Thread: Is the color supposed to be off on DS/SP screens?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is the color supposed to be off on DS/SP screens?

I just returned my $100 DS to Target for another one because it had 5-6 dead pixels on the touch screen. This new one doesn't have any but the top screen looks *slightly* darker than the bottom one and has a very light shade of magenta in it. I don't remember seeing this in my other DS that I returned but I do have a NES-style SP that has the exact same problem with the magenta.

Is it like this with all DS screens? I know I'm being picky here, but I studied color photography for several years and a color imbalance like this is really obvious and annoying to me.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Neither of my SPs (one old, one new back-lit) nor my new Mario Kart DS has any sort of magenta coloration on the screen(s). I'm thinking something is wrong with your LCDs. I've never heard of such a thing happening, nor seen anything like that.

At the worst, tell Nintendo about it and I'm sure they'll replace it - they're great about that sort of thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marcus12024
    Neither of my SPs (one old, one new back-lit) nor my new Mario Kart DS has any sort of magenta coloration on the screen(s). I'm thinking something is wrong with your LCDs. I've never heard of such a thing happening, nor seen anything like that.

At the worst, tell Nintendo about it and I'm sure they'll replace it - they're great about that sort of thing.
    Niether of my DS's had color issues, though I did notice that my second DS seemed to have a superior screen quality...?
    Vectors, pixels & polygons

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Neither my SP nor my DS had color issues, but I did have a Teal Nintendogs DS with a dead pixel on the touch screen.

Also, it has a bit of a sound problem, where it statics a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Is the color supposed to be off on DS/SP screens?

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa
    I just returned my $100 DS to Target for another one because it had 5-6 dead pixels on the touch screen. This new one doesn't have any but the top screen looks *slightly* darker than the bottom one and has a very light shade of magenta in it. I don't remember seeing this in my other DS that I returned but I do have a NES-style SP that has the exact same problem with the magenta.

Is it like this with all DS screens? I know I'm being picky here, but I studied color photography for several years and a color imbalance like this is really obvious and annoying to me.
    You know, I've noticed this too. I recently had to get a new DS since my old one ceased to function, and the new one has a very faint, almost imperceptible magenta hue on the top screen, as compared to the touch screen. My old DS had the grid type touch screen, and the new one has the more uniform (but slightly grainy) touch screen. I'll bet the color difference is related.

As for scratchy audio, I've noticed the DS has a tendency to do this if you have the volume set VERY low.