Thread: Why do Sellers insist upon Confirmed address?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why do Sellers insist upon Confirmed address?

While shopping noticed sellers insist "only ship to confirm addresses - will not ship if you don't have one." Why? Paypal says uncofirmed addresses protected by the Seller Protection Policy.

Why discriminate against unconfirmed people - like me?

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Default Re: Why do Sellers insist upon Confirmed address?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_psx
    While shopping noticed that many sellers insist "only ship to confirm addresses - will not ship if you don't have one." Why? Paypal says uncofirmed addresses are protected by the Seller Protection Policy.

Why discriminate against unconfirmed people - like me?
    ... but not for buyers. If you ship an item to an address that is not confirmed, and the buyer says that he never got it even though he did, he can get his money back.

If the bidder has a verified address, you can use Delivery Confirmation to prove that your item made it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Because sellers aren't protected by Paypal if they ship to unconfirmed addresses. All a buyer with an unconfirmed address has to do is say they never got the package or that there is something wrong with it. They'll get their money back and the seller will be screwed.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PAYPAL
    Address confirmation is useful because it provides a way for a seller to verify a buyer's identity. Shipment to a confirmed address, however, is not a requirement for coverage under the Seller Protection Policy since not all PayPal users are able to confirm their addresses. If a transaction is eligible for coverage under the Seller Protection Policy, a seller must ship to the address found on the Transaction Details page (regardless of whether that address is confirmed or not).
    I repeatthe question in post #1 - Why refuse delivery to unconfirmed addresses?

Tried several times to confirm my address - but stupid paypal is broke. Doesn't acknowledge my home address - either Discover card or bank account. Lousy software.

EDIT
    - Fixed. Had my work address as my confirmed address?!?!? Odd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

I repeatthe question in post #1 - Why refuse delivery to unconfirmed addresses?
    I think its been answered.

Sellers refuse to ship to unconfirmed addresses to cover their ass.

If an item is shipped and the buyer contests payment the seller is required to show proof it was shipped to the confirmed address the buyer has with paypal. Kinda hard to do when the seller ships to an unconfirmed address.

Why do sellers refuse to ship to unconfirmed addresses? Because they were burned already. New sellers don't seem to care but all the old time sellers require it.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari
    If an item is shipped and the buyer contests payment the seller is required to show proof it was shipped to the confirmed address the buyer has with paypal.
    Sorry - i'm stupid. Still don't understand. (1) Why does Paypal say "Shipment to a confirmed address is not a requirement for coverage under the Seller Protection Policy" then? Paypal's lying?

(2) If someone ships to unconfirmed address - they still have Delivery confirmation or tracking to prove they did it.

k

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I believe so. Sucks eh?

(until proven otherwise... I've seen and heard too many people say they were ripped off by sending to unconfirmed addresses that something must be wrong somewhere in Paypal's system and advice)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you google the phrase "not a requirement for coverage under the Seller Protection Policy", it only appears on other discussion boards... nowhere on Paypal or eBay.

Now, review section 3.c.ii on this page: http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr...cy_spp-outside

Confirmed Addresses. A confirmed address is an eligibility requirement for the Seller Protection Policy. Shipping to a confirmed address reduces the risk of fraud and should be considered by the seller even if a transaction is not eligible for the Seller Protection Policy.

Strawberry (Level 2) Mr.Faxanadu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a good question! I never quite understood that one. My thought is that if you send the item to an unconfirmed address EVEN with signature confirmation (meaning the buyer has to sign to recieve the package) if the buyer claims to have not recieved the package there is NO paypal protection for the seller.

I had an incident a couple of months ago where I sent a $60 winning package to a small town in Canada. Buyer claims that he didn't get it and was going to file a claim with paypal. I realized that I was screwed because 1 - I didn't have tracking so I couldn't prove if he acutually got the package! and 2 - his address was NOT confirmed. In reading the paypal help section I realized that I was screwed! Eventually, he got the package (the post office in this tiny village just misplaced it) Anyway, this made me use the following rule on ALL my sales: For all sales over $40, and additional $2 will be added to the shipping cost for tracking and signature confirmation.

This new policy has not failed me yet! I mean even if a buyer does not have a confirmed address it will be pretty hard to state that he didn't get the package seeing how he would have had to of signed for it.
    Check out HitpointZ.com to see all my items for sale!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy
    the phrase "not a requirement for coverage under the Seller Protection Policy", it only appears on other discussion boards... nowhere on Paypal or eBay.

Incorrect. Go to a recent transaction's details page. Click on the "?" next to the Address & a pop-up window will say:

What is a Confirmed Address?
    A buyer's Confirmed Address is checked against the credit card billing address maintained by his or her credit card company.

How is address confirmation useful?
    Address confirmation is useful because it provides a way for a seller to verify a buyer's identity. Shipment to a confirmed address, however, is not a requirement for coverage under the Seller Protection Policy since not all PayPal users are able to confirm their addresses. If a transaction is eligible for coverage under the Seller Protection Policy, a seller must ship to the address found on the Transaction Details page (regardless of whether that address is confirmed or not).

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

I shipped an Xbox game to someone who paid with an unconfirmed address. 100% positives. All they bought were Xbox games. I used tracking and shipped to unconfirmed address with paypal same one they had with eBay.

Month later I get an email. Contesting payment. I got the contact information and called. It was a doctors office and they said a credit card was stolen. Still the address they had was the same. Why would someone steal the credit card and then ship items to the person who the credit card belonged to?

Funds were yanked from my account. Paypal was no help. I asked for the name of the credit card company to dispute this they said no. After several calls it turns out the kid of the doctor was buying Xbox games and they didn't know. I got paid in the mail. Paypal was no help.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thought paypal accepted "tracking" as proof of delivery?

You had tracking - paypal never should have deleted the funds from your account.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Thought paypal accepted "tracking" as proof of delivery? .
    Yeap had tracking.

You had tracking - paypal never should have deleted the funds from your account.
    Well they did and they wouldn't budge an inch after a heated lengthy phone call. The refused to confirm or deny the buyers "real" address. Which turns out was the same as the one I shipped to. They just didn't confirm it yet.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well they did and they wouldn't budge an inch after a heated lengthy phone call.
    I see. Your "heated phone call" is why Paypal lose a class-action lawsuit last year & was forced to reunfd ~$20 to various sellers. They were not meeting their own terms.

http://www.paypalsucks.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Incorrect. Go to a recent transaction's details page.
    Ah, so that's where this text comes from. Strange.

By Paypal's terms of the SPP, I'm not sure how a situation would arise that would enable SPP & have a buyer with an unconfirmed address. Section 3.c.ii describes a confirmed address as a "Requirement". Paypal is simply contradicting itself.

Bottom line: Paypal can screw you & sellers know this, hence the unwillingness to take extra risks, myself included. If buyers want it shipped their way, they pay my way.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Thought paypal accepted "tracking" as proof of delivery?
    Only online tracking or confirmation of delivery slip I believe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

If an item is shipped and the buyer contests payment the seller is required to show proof it was shipped to the confirmed address the buyer has with paypal.
    Sorry - i'm stupid. Still don't understand. (1) Why does Paypal say "Shipment to a confirmed address is not a requirement for coverage under the Seller Protection Policy" then? Paypal's lying?

(2) If someone ships to unconfirmed address - they still have Delivery confirmation or tracking to prove they did it.

k
    By this Paypal is implying to use Paypal shipping. If you do it will be on their records that it was shipped to the address on the details page.
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

By this Paypal is implying to use Paypal shipping. If you do it will be on their records that it was shipped to the address on the details page.
    I used paypal shipping and paypal tracking.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used paypal shipping and paypal tracking.

And it was delivererd - they still subtracted the money from your account - Here's the deal -

- Your buyer called his credit card & reported it "stolen"
    - All those charges got reversed
    - Paypal lost a ton of money

Rather than be honest & absorb the losses - paypal passes the losses to it Sellers - like buyatari. Happens a lot. Read http://www.paypalsucks.com . Even if the Dentist's address was "confirmed" - paypal would still suck money from your account. Paypal's procedure is screwing their Sellers when credit cards charges get reversed.

Never mind it was delivered.
    Never mind it was confirmed address.
    Paypal is not going to lose money - they pass the shrinkage to you.