Thread: Should I Buy from 10,000+ Sellers?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Ascending Wordsmith's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Should I Buy from 10,000+ Sellers?

I've never won an auction from a 10,000+ seller... because I've never bid on one. These sellers have mountains of positive feedback, but have significant amounts of negatives too. Even with 13,000 positives, I still feel nervous when I see those 600 negatives.

Has anybody done business with a seller that had over a 10,000 feedback rating?
    Never use a long word where a short one will do.

--George Orwell

(formerly PC Kwaj)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

I've bid on items from a few people with over 20,000 feedback with no problems.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Check what's been going on recently. If it seems like there's been a high percentage of negatives recently, you might be careful. Generally, I think it's ok if it seems like mostly satisfied customers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have noticed that on some of the feedback like you are talking about there are alot comments made by the same buyer that bought a whole bunch of stuff at one time and wasn't pleased so the left all negs for basiclly the same transaction. I will usually go down through a bunch of the negs and see if I can tell what happened. In alot of cases the response from the seller helps clear things up. I have also noticed where negs are left by a buyer who is no longer a registered user. I usually don't even count those real negs. Then there's all the times where a buyer leaves a neg and the seller responds that he offered the buyer a replacement. I guess it really just depends. It's all buyer beware

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, 600 negs in 13,000 FB is a 4.8% negative rating. To put in perspective, a guy with 200 FB having 8 negs. I guess that's not enough of a ratio to start any alarms.

However, if most of those 600 negs occurred within the last few months, it may mean that there's an immediate hiccup to his business and you could end up screwed.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's my take on this situation. A few negatives are OK because there are some people who cannot be satisfied no matter what or leave negative feedback without ever contacting the buyer/seller trying to solve the problem. When people have 100's or 1000's (yes some people have over 1000 negative feedback) I think it means they are probably hard to deal with and probably screw alot of people with misleading descriptions and won't do anything about it once the product is in your hands. Also like someone else mentioned there have been a few sellers who decide to screw a bunch of people at once when they quit ebay after getting 1000's of feedback. My "y-bot" account has over 1500 positives (1250 rating) with 0 negative and 0 neutral but I have bent over backwards to make people happy and luckily have recieved no retalitory negatives when I have left them for others. My works account "ccorner@hevanet.com" has almost 5000 positives (3600 rating), 2 negatives and 6 neutral that could not be helped. These people either could not be stisfied or left feedback before they ever contacted us with there problem.

Thanks, Y-bot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally, I've found that 10,000+ sellers are slower to get stuff to you and bad about responding to your emails but they usually come through ok. Just don't expect a lot of customer service, and don't worry if they have a few negs (as long as they're not all recent) cause you're BOUND to get some negs after that many transactions!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had a few problems with people who have +10,000. Most of the time it was about them not replying to e-mails. I also never got feedback from some of them despite the transaction being smooth.