Thread: **Warning** Another Nintendo Revolution Topic :(

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default **Warning** Another Nintendo Revolution Topic :(

With all the recent new about the Revolution specs that 3rd parties have been throwing out I find it very hard for Nintendo to start taking a good part of the market. According to the new Revolution IGN section, Nintendo 3rd party developers are stating that the Revolution is an amped up Xbox. Now, we all know that there is no HD support, the controller is extremely different, it will be wifi and not play DVDs out of the box, but annalists predict that a price tag of $99 dollars for the Revolution is not out of the question. At this point I predict that Nintendo will be either one of two things. Revolution could be the next big "console" or Revolution could be the next big "toy".

Opinions?
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

myself, i could handle half-life 2 or splinter cell 3 graphics for another 5 years or so, they are plenty good enough for me, people put way to much emphasis on graphics to a point that a game will ultimately succeed or fail based on them, like you can just go to the zoo and say, "you know, the revolutions graphics aren't quite up to par, this flame-spewing dragon looks way better in real life" lol or "i can't count every one of Mario's moustache hairs"

even at $200 it's still half that of the other two, and if they nail the virtual console down and make it affordable, worst case scenario you've got a viable alternative for a second choice machine, nintendo can preach "their way is different" all they want and say they aren't competing, but it's a self-defeatist attitude in my opinion and consumers aren't going to look at the Rev and say, "yep that's nothing like the other two, it's a family fun center not a next-gen console"

whether they like it or not they are competing with the other two.

the most disturbing thing on the Rev i've read so far is how it's been said that a dual-analog stick may be offered along-side the new one for next-gen titles, this might take away their unique edge and let dev teams get a little lazy, i've seen plenty of DS titles that have poor use of it's abilities, most of the best coming from EAD or HAL themselves.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My impression is that Nintendo is quite happy to be the "next big toy." I have no problem with this myself, and I think it's a pretty good strategy. Instead of devoting a bunch of time and resources to sex up the tech, they're carving a significant part of the market off for themselves and letting Sony and Microsoft duke it out for the rest. I think they're being smart.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

The marketing aspects of this situation are so incredibly complicated, it's absolutely impossible to see how the general public recieves the system at launch.

The cheap price aspect plays a double edge sword, thats for sure. One the one side, "$150 next gen system, AWESOME!" on the other side, "only $150? it must suck."

The latter is absolutley the more prevalent thought process by the unwashed masses, anyone who was around retail for the NFL 2k5 vs. Madden 05 knows that for sure. But in hindsight, look at what it did for 2k. The cheap price and early release really bothered EA. If Nintendo can get out of the gate before Sony, it may work in the same fashion.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not Nintendo's innovation that bothers me. Chalk me up as yet another one of those that prefers his DS over his PSP because it's weird and different. I couldn't understand how anyone would like a DS over a PSP......until I actually bought one. Now It's easy to see why.

What frustrates me about Nintendo systems is how developers bail on them. The systems kick ass out of the gate and everyone's on the bandwagon, but soon it's up to Nintendo's first party stuff to maintain a pulse.

The Revolution seems to be WAY out in left field and might be dismissed as either too freaky or too much hassle for many developers, especially when it comes to games fated as three-system ports. Perhaps this is where an optional standard "A B X Y L R" controller for the Revolution might come into play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: **Warning** Another Nintendo Revolution Topic :(

Quote Originally Posted by Cmtz
    At this point I predict that Nintendo will be either one of two things. Revolution could be the next big "console" or Revolution could be the next big "toy".
    I don't see what the problem is with it being both a toy and the next big thing Really, that's a bit o what they're hoping for: a new type of video game system.

It's either going to do like they want it to (think DS) or it's going to be a failure...I can't see it being a huge failure, though.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a feeling that being a toy and a video game system might appeal to more than one specific audience. If the system launches with a solid line up of games, great price, etc., this could be a huge thing. I can honestly say that I can see Nintendo coming out on top. This system will either end Nintendo in the console market, or give them that foothold they need to stay in it.

Nintendo is no longer facing the "hard core" audience. Nintendo is appealing to the "everyone" audience. I think that this will be a really intelligent move for them.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: **Warning** Another Nintendo Revolution Topic :(

Quote Originally Posted by Cmtz
    With all the recent Revolution specs that 3rd parties have been throwing out ,I find it very hard for Nintendo to start taking a good part of the market.
    Imho Nintendo is aiming for Honda's position in the market. Honda's in 3rd place - waaaaay behind Toyota & GM - but Honda still does okay in their little niche.

Make sense?

Oh and Nintendo did alright this generation. The Xbox & Cube are essentially tied for 2nd place in worldwide sales. People forget that little factoid. Nintendo & Microsoft were neck-and-neck in the 2000-2005 race.

And look at the profit numbers - Microsoft is dead last - billions lost. Nintendo has a huge bank account. Nintendo is doing just fine.

(•¿•) - "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
    Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." - Emily Post ----- Component Video looks just as good as RGB, is a heck of a lot easier to set up, and also a lot cheaper!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think a price point of less than 200 dollard could potentially stun ms and sony. I especially hope that the comparatively underpowered machine sells great with innovative games and serves as a fresh reminder what should really drive the industry.

In either case, the Revolution is the best looking console ( aesthetics ) that I've ever seen.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last I checked, graphical prowess means nothing as long as the games don't suck ass. As long as the Revo's games are good (and they will be), why do the specs matter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would buy almost any next-gen system if it costs $99, and I'm totally turned off from the Revolution, too.

Well, as long as the games are also just as reasonably priced.

Strawberry (Level 2) Pedro Lambrini's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After playing the 360 for a few days I can honestly I am already way more underwhelmed than I expected to be - I realise it's just been but it is really dull. Yes, the graphics are really nice and are sure to get better but then what? Most of the games are sequels (and one prequel!) and are played using the exact same interface as the previous TWO generations!!

Regardless of cost or spec I hope and pray that the Rev will turn the market around for the sake of decent gaming...Vive le Revolution!
    Pretty Fly for a Doom Guy...