Thread: Light Gun Questions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Light Gun Questions

I tried the search function and got over 600 hits, so don't flame me for asking.

Are they all compatable with all light gun games. Like if I had a gun from House of the Dead could I use it for others games as well?

Also who makes the best one as far as accuracy, effects (like a blowback), and realistic appearance?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as I know, all light guns work essentially the same way. So yes, the HotD gun (or any other) should work with anything else on the same system. I'm gonna go ahead and assume you're talking exclusively about Xbox1 stuff, and as far as I know the only other gun available is the Silent Scope Light Rifle. This particular gun looks totally sweet and even has a 'recoil' (it's more or less just a rumble, but it's better than nothing), and it also can be dis-assembled into a pump shotgun type thing. The scope effect is pretty cool in Silent Scope Complete if you can get it to work, too. However, from what I hear the MadCatz blaster (aka the HotD3 gun) is better in terms of performance.

So, unfortunately, you may have to choose between performance quality and cosmetic excellence. It's a tough call, I think...but I don't think you can go too wrong with either choice.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the mad catz blaster one, and it works with all of my xbox light gun games, but my only gripe is that it doesn't work on projection TVs. otherwise, most are pretty good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wasn't specifically talking about Xbox, I just used HotD as an example. I'm going to be looking into getting guns for all the systems that they were used on. For light gun systems I currently have NES, SNES, SMS, Genesis, Sega CD, PS1, PS2, and my son has an Xbox. I plan on getting a Dreamcast and a Saturn in the future. The only systems I have guns for right now are NES, SMS, Saturn, and the Super Scopes for the SNES. Just wanted more info on them so I knew which guns to look for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

I think in most cases you will find that guns will only work on the system they were released for, and even then there may be some compatibility issues.

I think you will find in most cases that you will have one gun for each system. Some systems may require several guns to play all gun games, and some may be compatible with a different one.

Some examples:

-The justifier will work on Sega Genesis, CD and 32X
    -A different one was release for the SNES version of the same game
    -The GunCon will work with only some playstation games which support it, although it will work one PS2 with said games and some earlier PS2 gun games
    -Later PS2 games require guncon 2 or compatible third party
    -The Atari XE gun works across all atari platforms with gun games I believe
    -Dreamcast guns are all third party in the US, although the Madcatz one is licensed

Strawberry (Level 2) heyricochet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Adding to the above post, there are two guns for the genny. The first is the justifier, which is the small blue lethal enforcers gun. As far as I know it only works with lethal enforcers. The other is the Menacer which is the bazooka gun with the dual eyepieces. That has a good list of games that I'm too lazy to find now, I think the list is on gamefaqs.