Thread: Nintendo Ds won't save date and time

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nintendo Ds won't save date and time

I've got a DS that turns on fine and asks for the normal first-use setup info like name, color, date and time. only, it stores the date and time as 00/00/2000 00:00 and then when you finish the setup and restart the DS, it does it all over again.

Any ideas?
    Frobba.com - Stuff No One Cares About

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Is there an auxiliary battery in the DS in addition to the main recharable cel? If that's the case it has gone bad and needs to be replaced, I don't have a DS (but do have other handhelds that retain information via a auxiliary button cel such as the NeoGeo Pocket Color) but if it does that's what's bad. I'd be an internal system battery like on a PC motherboard, a Sega Saturn, etc.

...that is if the DS has one, it could be like the WonderSwan where it flashes the information to a chip. In that case I have no idea.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That was my initial thought. I had consoles do the same thing, replaced the CR2032 and was back to saving dates and times. Unfortunately, the DS has no internal battery. SOunds like it stores it on some sort of IC or something.

ANyone else got any ideas? I could always try the "Um... i lost my receipt" trick at Wal-Mart...
    Frobba.com - Stuff No One Cares About

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    phreak97

the ds just uses the gameplay battery to hold system info in whatever memory it uses. it loses its information when you remove the battery. i dont remember off hand, but if the battery has three pins, check the connections to all are good and clean.

if theres no problem to be found, it may have a dead memory ic. in which case, you get a new ds and move on with life.

it also might pay to check your warrenty, even if you've opened the system up, so long as theres no visible signs, youll be fine, i promise you the technicians wont check too thoroughly to see if its got a void warrenty.

if in the end nothing can be done, i would be happy to buy your ds, my ds is scratched as all hell, and i dont want to pay for a working ds to replace the cover.. if youre interested PM me.
    (i never give false information, or withhold information on the basis that it might score me a cheap system, i am an honest man)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sirgeoph
    ANyone else got any ideas? I could always try the "Um... i lost my receipt" trick at Wal-Mart...
    I like the trick of buying a new one and returning the broken one, with the new receipt.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh, I wouldn't suggest that in any case. Especially if you have registered in through Nintendo.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka