Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Official TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine/Duo Thread

In the Retrogaming Roundtable continuing series of classic system homage... let us discuss the system that brought video gaming back from the grave.

I'd like EVERYONE who has ever played this system to give some input here, please.

Maxlords' recent post reminded me about how fascinated with this system I've been. The compact cards, the very eastern influence of so many of the games, the Turbo-Tap thrills, and the expandability! If you really want to appreciate the system get a TurboDuo and a converter to play PC Engine games... or a PC Engine Duo (most of the really good US titles were available in Japan but not the other way around).

So. You've probably played TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine/Duo. And if so, tell me:

- What is your favorite game on this system?
    - What are some of your other favorites?
    - What games surprised you? Infuriated you?
    - Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?
    - Did you own the system "back in the day"? How about now?
    - How many games do you have for it?
    - Any stories surrounding the system that you can share with us?

Go time! Have fun with this, but by all means, share your thoughts!

NOTE: to jog your memory, here's our complete list of US games and here is our complete PC Engine list.

... and don't forget this forum's TOP 20 GAMES!

Discuss!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm totally new to the system.... bought a Turbo Duo with 9 games on Monday. Back in the day, I hadn't heard of it. In fact, when reading old video game mags just last year, everything "turbo" confused me... *grafx, *duo, *chip, and so on. But thanks to DP, I became infatuated and had to have one.

The prices of the games are still a bit high for me, at least compared to NES, so I won't be avidly collecting. Hopefully, I'll make time to play each one I have, then buy a new one every month or so. Now with four systems and hundreds of games, it's tough to focus!

On a related note... the ads in those old magazines didn't do the system justice. Too much white space, too small screenshots, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Darn! And I wanted to make the first reply!!!! Yeah...the TG16/Duo has always been a fascination of mine...from the first time I saw Splatterhouse and Military Madness on it, and still to this day. I've been collecting TG16/Duo (hereby referred to as TG16) since about 1997, when I got my first TG16 system from a friend for $20 with Military Madness. I playd it back in the day and my friend's house and I LOVED the few games I saw for it but I never had the money for the system. When he decided to sell his system finally (with a bit of nagging!) I was all over it! Believe it or not, it was several years before I got another game cause I had never bought anything online back then and so I was ONLY looking for games in the wild for it! And we ALL know how hard THAT is! But hell, Military Madness was worth it on it's own That's the game I got the system for.

Fast forward to 1999, when I decided that I wanted more games for the system. I love the huCard style and the controllers and I just want more. So I start looking into the system, and lo and behold there are like 800 games for it! Course, 3/4 of them are Japanese, but it seems like a LOT of them are good, so I immediately go out and buy a Duo for a whopping $300 and Castlevania Dracula X for $200 (yes really). And I love it! I'm instantly hooked on the system and I start amassing games for it at every turn! That's how I got into TG16. It's easily one of my top favorite systems ever, with the uniqueness of it's games, and the vibrance of their colors and designs. The biggest thing is that even the lame games are FUN on that system for some reason! I don't know waht it is about hte TG16 but a LOT of the games really have that fun factor to them! It's quite the system, and I encourage everyone to try it out!

As for DP's questions:

My favorite game on the system has to be Image Fight 2. I don't know why...I just love that shooter. It's brutally hard, most people hate it, and I absolutely love it! Some of my other favorites are:

Cadash: Only console version with all 4 characters!

Sylphia: great and really rare vertical fantasy shooter

Castlevania X: Rondo of the Blood: THE best Castlevania IMO! Only available
    for import Duo, and absolutely amazing. It's a clasic style platformer too,
    not like SOTN at all, but it does have multiple pathways and hidden levels
    all through the game!

Exile and Exile: Wicked Phenomenon: 2 great action/rpgs with a decidedly
    Middle Eastern flavor! And both from Working Designs (who got their
    gaming start on the TG16!)

Far East of Eden Bomberman: A limited edition Japan only promo
    game...basically Bomberman '94 with all the main characters from the
    Tengai Makou (Far East of Eden) RPGs! Imagine Bomberman with
    Kabuki Den riding a kangaroo! !

Lords of Thunder and Gates of Thunder: Two AWESOME side scrooling
    shmups!

Military Madness and Neo Nectaris: Two of the best hex-based strategy
    games EVER!

Panic Bomberman: Japanese puzzle game that you use decapitated
    Bomberman heads instead of blocks! So funny!

Rayxanber II and III: Quite possibly the hardest shmups EVER made! I have
    yet to have EVER seen the Level 1 boss on Rayxanber II.

Soldier Blade: Amazing vertical shooter!

Tenchi Wo Kurau (Dynasty Wars): Great Capcom horseback beat em up!

Ys 1, 2, and 3: Awesome action RPG series that's better on the TG16 than
    anywhere else!

Currently, I have 60 games for my TG16 including CD games, as well as a couple of TG16 decks (one boxed), a boxed Turbo Duo, a Turboexpress (how many handhelds could play the console games too?!) and a convertor to play Japanese huCards on a US system, as well as a Duotap, a Turbotap, and stacks of controllers! Whew! Sorry to have ranted so long but I could talk about this system for DAYS straight! Hope my enthusiasm rubs off! I agree with DP..it's a unique and amazing system with an in teresting history, especially when you learn how many variations there were on it and how well it did in Japan!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Probably good ole' Dracula X.

The Ys games (1-4), Parasol Stars, Puzznic, Zipang (Solomon's Key with a Samurai character and has some of the same levels), the Valis games.

Surprised - Parasol Stars and Ninja Gaiden (They actually made this for the PC Engine? Who knew?)
    Infuriated - Rock On (The story is Zero Wing-quality, but the game has poor hit detention and makes no sense!)

- Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?

I was at a store back in the early 90's and saw one, but wasn't really interested in it... I do remember trying Keith Courage out that day, a very strange game...

I got a Turbo Duo back in 1995 with Ys 1+2, Ys 3, Cosmic Fantasy 2, Legendary Axe. Today, I have a Japanese PC Engine and a CD-Rom player hooked up to the interface unit accessory.

Besides my missing Paraol Stars (Which I lost sometime in 2000), I have 2 US CD's (Ys 1+2 and 3, of course), 7 PCE HUCards, 13 PCE CD's featuring Dracula X, Ys IV, and Bakushou Yoshimoto No Shinkigeki (The strangest platform game ever made) .

- I once owned a Japnese Street Fighter 2 Championship HuCard, and it must have had a converter hooked to it, because it worked fine in our US Turbo Grafx system...
    - I've owned Dracula X 3 seperate times.
    - When I played Ys 3 for the first time on the Turbo Grafx, I was thinking, it was just going to be exactly like the SNES/Genesis versioins. I put it in and the soundtrack blows me away, and officially becomes my favorite soundtrack of any game, ever.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Ascending Wordsmith's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Official TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine/Duo Thread

It would have to be Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure (CD version). It's the only Bonk game where two players could play together. Plus the game didn't slow down when both players' Bonks grew to HUGE proportions. The game also had great music and a small versus challenge where players could compete against each other.

Bonk has grown just a tad A second player could join in with another Bonk and grow huge too, without the game slowing down or glitching!

The hero of River City Ransom (Riki Kunio) also has a soccer game for the system called Nekketsu Soccer. It's a neat little game where Kunio and the gang play soccer against other Japanese, and other international high schools.

Another game I enjoy is Ane-San. It's an all-female beat'em up. These girls are pretty rough looking, but they have some kick ass combination moves!

9 times out of 10, an ugly girl can beat the shit out of a prom queen.

Strip Fighter II seriously got on my nerves due to the cheesy AI. The juggling technique is total lunacy when the machine uses it, but I eventually prevailed.

Flight of the Flaming Eagle... will be used against you 37 consecutive times.

-Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?
    Bonk's Adventure was the first game I saw on the system. It was very cool to see the colorful graphics and the cartoon-like characters. Then Bonk's Revenge came out with even more characters, and even more colors!

Bonk's Adventure was great, then the even more vibrant Bonk's Revenge was released. It was a great moment for me.

I own a Turbo Duo now, but sadly, I didn't own the Turbo Grafx-16 back when it first came out. But I'm still glad there are people out there, hanging onto their systems. It's a great tribute to a remakable console.

Counting PC Engine games, I have about 25 games.

I've been collecting Bonk games, spanning across many systems because of the Turbo Grafx-16's ability to make them look so good. I've got every American Bonk game ever released, all of which are complete. I'm only three games short of having every Japanese Bonk (PC Genjin) game ever released. The ones I'm missing are all Japanese Gameboy games.
    Never use a long word where a short one will do.

--George Orwell

(formerly PC Kwaj)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bomberman '94 (Best Party Game Ever!!!)

Parasol Stars, Splatterhouse (PC Engine), Dracula X, Military Madness, Dungoen Explorer's 1 and 2, Galaga '90, Dragon's Curse, Final Lap Twin, Full Court Tennis, Y's 1-3 and the list goes on and on....

- What games surprised you?
    Vigilante - Finished it in 45 minutes first time playing it...real disappointing.

-Infuriated you?
    Deep Blue - Need I say more?

Back in September of 1989 in Wooddale Illinois at my first day of work at NEC. I saw Legendary Ax and was just blown away as to how awesome it looked and sounded. I knew I was going to enjoy my new job.

- Did you own the system "back in the day"?
    Since I worked there I had a system before they were even in stores.

-How about now?
    Still have it today.

Around 100+

I worked at the Turbografx helpline and it was always a pleasure talking to all of the pissed off parents who were wondering why our helpline phone number was on their phone bill.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Ghsqb

As far as my experiences, I never had a TG16 "back in the day".
    I picked one up about 6 months ago, as part of my collecting hobby, and I can honestly say that the system has really impressed me.

Understanding the era in which the system was released, it surely was quite the system in its day.

Two games that surprised me, was Splatterhouse, for its graphics and gameplay, and TV Sports Basketball, because of the surprising depth of the gameplay, substitutions, stats etc.

That game really strikes me as revolutionary for its time.

I only have a few games for this system but the ones I do have I really enjoy.

I intend on picking up a Turbo Express and a Duo in time.

If you haven't tried a TG16....do so, its a great classic system

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I don't have one - I used to have a Turbo Express but that went up in smoke and only had the chance to play Dungeon Explorer a few times, a game that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Now I have been trying to get a TG16 or Duo but don't really want to pay Ebay prices and despite my better efforts in the Buying and Selling forum my search has proved fruitless.

Can anyone please help????????????

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

My turn!

This is ALWAYS the hardest question for me, so I always default to "which game do I still play the most on this system", and the answer to that is BLAZING LAZERS (Gunhed on PC Engine), which I think is not only my favorite game on the system, but my favorite SHMUP of all time. Just right for me in terms of diffibulty, the graphics are dazzling, and the power-ups are so... POWERFUL! I love this game.

I love the penguins-turned-Bombermen in TRAVEL EPURU, the flying Bonk in AIR ZONK, and the Gauntlet-gone-RPG DUNGEON EXPLORER, but there are so many other favorites, lots of terrific shooters and surprising RPG games on HUcards! The TSR gold box-style game ORDER OF THE GRIFFON is incredible in what it achieves on that tiny credit card chip!

The aforementioned ORDER OF THE GRIFFON, being a fan of the gold box series and AD&D in general. Also the multi-player capabilities of the TurboTap, especially BOMBERMAN (where I was introduced to the series), the TV SPORTS and MOTO ROADER games.... mmm. Must. Kill. Friends.

There were a few duds, I was particularly infuriated with DEEP BLUE. A game with so much potential and stunning graphics (a shooter with mechanical fish! Finally!) gone terribly wrong. That Bravoman game was pretty stinky too.

It was KEITH COURAGE, on display at a Toys 'R Us. I was trying to make a decision between Genesis and TurboGrafx-16. Genesis won (I never DID like Keith Courage), but very shortly afterwards, I went back and got the TurboGrafx-16.

Sure did. I didn't own a Duo or the CD-ROM expansion when THEY came out, however. But I started collecting TG-16 early which is a good thing, I don't think I would have been able to complete my US collection otherwise.

All of the US games, complete even! I got the final piece of the collection, the cardboard box for Magical Chase, from our admin "retrogmr" in 2000. I've also got several hundred PC Engine games. I haven't counted them or even played them all yet, I just snag them whenever someone's got them to snag.

My friend John and I got a lot of mileage from TV SPORTS FOOTBALL. We got so good at the game that we figured out all of the "can't miss" patterns, and got to the point where we'd play against the computer and win by insane scores like 191-0. It was fun getting there but I haven't gone back to play since.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Did you own the system "back in the day"? How about now?

Well, back when it was new I was 18. Being the typical poor student I didn't own *any* consoles, let alone one as new and expensive as TG16.

But one of my buddies did. He was blown away by the graphics and he always had money so he picked it up. So even though I didn't own one I got to play it quite a bit.

What is your favorite game on this system?

Well, my fondest memories are of playing Moto Roader. The guy who owned the TG16 had two brothers, so the 3 of them, plus me, plus another guy got together quite often and played this sucker to death. There's nothing like a good 5 player game. Plus I was pretty damn good at it so that helped

What are some of your other favorites?

My buddy also had R-Type, Bonk, and Dungeon Explorer which I thought were cool. Especially Dungeon Explorer - being a Gauntlet fan it was the closest I'd come to playing a decent facsimile of it.

How many games do you have for it?

One. I'm dying to find others but they're impossible to come by cheaply (I'm not quite ready to order them online yet). I'll cave at some point though - and I'll probably get the four listed above first
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

I don't really have a lot too add, I guess. I like the system, a lot. Being cheap has really limited the number of games I own, however.

I didn't have one back in the day, but I remember seeing it at Babbages and Video Concepts. About that time, I was starting to get bored with the NES. Of course, a little while later, I was introduced to Altered Beast and the Genny port, and quickly forgot about the TG-16. (Can anyone tell me why this game was so cool, back in the day? Playing it now, it just seems boring!)

When I finally got one, I have to say I was impressed by the quality of the graphics. They just have a look to them. I can't describe it, you have to see them, but in my mind, I'll take the TG-16 over the Genny and SNES in the graphics department.

As for number of games and whatnot, I'm at 8, and have been for a looong time. I can't bring myself to eBay prices and rarely do people have anything other than a Keith Courage their willing to trade. Some day tho...

Fave games? Well, I've played a lot through emulation and I really love the Pinball games. I've always had a soft spot for video pinball, back to the 2600, and they really did it well on the TG-16. I also love the large variety of Puzzle type games. Man, I can't even think of the names, but almost everyone has been a winner.

It might suprise those of you who know my gaming interests, but I'm not too enamoured of the shmups on here. Not that they're not quality, but just my fave style of shump (top down manic) wasn't really popular at the time the TG-16 was kicking. That being said, Spriggan is impressive. That's the one that's really impressed me. The rest I can play, but they aren't really my speed.

Hmm...for not having much to say, guess I did after all. I really enjoy what I have of this system and would love to get more, if I had the funds.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When did you decide that you wanted to get the system
    After playing Bonk adventure's and Legendary axe at my friends house,I decided that i really wanted one.

What was you favorite games for the system.
    Bonk's adventure
    Bonk's revenge
    Bonk 3:bonk's big adventure
    Neutopia
    Neutopia 2
    Legendary axe
    Time cruise
    Alien crush
    Devil's crush
    Y's 1 and 2
    Tv sports hockey
    Tv sports basketball
    Splatterhouse
    Air zonk
    Y's 3
    It came from the desert
    J.B Harold murder club
    Riot zone
    China warrior
    Ninja sprit
    Final lap twin
    Bomberman
    Bomberman 93
    World sports competition
    Power golf
    Aero blaster
    Soldier blade
    Dungeon Explorer
    Klax
    Blazing lazers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sadly since the only games I own are Sinsitron and Keith Courage, I vote Sinistron.

I love Raiden on every other system, so I see no reason I wouldn't like it here.

My friend Brian had the CD system, and the only game I remember seeing at his house was Sherlock Holmes. While I wasn't impressed with the game itself, I think it was the first game I ever saw with video incorporated in it. So that was very cool.

- Did you own the system "back in the day"? How about now? I own one now, but didn't back in the day. I was always intrigued by the Hu-cards. I mean who wants to deal with a cartridge when you can get a cool card. I dreamed about ditching my gameboy and upgrading to a turbo express. I never did get one, but I'm looking for one now (so PM me!). I tend to get more play out of portable systems.

Only 2. Doh!

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

That I own? Bonk's Revenge, easily.

Keith's Courage (Yeah, I actually like this one, ), Dragon Spirit, Magical Chase. Magical Chase would probably actually be my primary choice, but it's so beyond my financial range right now, I doubt I'll ever own it even if I could afford it.

Sinistron because it gets impossible right at the third level.

My grandmother borrowed the TG-16 + CD add-on unit and some RPG from one of her 20-something gamer contacts back in the early 90's. Had humanoid felines in it, could probably look up the name for it but don't care to, really. All I remember at the time is that I was blown away by the use of animation/video in a game and how large their mouths got when they talked.

Later on I also spotted the unit running Air Zonk in a Toys R Us and played it for a bit.

No, in my area it was just about an impossibility. Now? Heck yeah. Love that thing.

Four, all acquired from the 'net. Hope to increase the library over the coming year.

When I was younger I had a boxed copy of Order of the Griffon but no TG-16. Thinking I would never be able to get ahold of the system I simply gave it away, since this was before the internet and certainly before Ebay. Alas, it would have made great trade bait, eh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Let's see...

I didn't own one until a few years ago (I traded a Japanese pink hello kiity dreamcast for a duo, express and about ten games) which was my first experience with the system.

I have:

Alien Crush (M)
    Ballistix (M)
    Bloody Wolf (M)
    Bonks Revenge (M)
    Boxyboy
    Chase HQ (M)
    China Warrior (M)
    Dungeon Explorer (M)
    Fantasy Zone
    Galaga 90 [4]
    JJ and Jeff (M)
    Keith Courage (M)
    Ninja Spirit (M)
    Pac Land
    Parasol Stars (M)
    Raiden [4]
    Side Arms (M)
    Splatterhouse
    Super Volleyball
    Time Cruise
    Veigues Tactical Gladiator (M)
    Victory Run (M)
    Vigilante
    World Class Baseball (M)

Y’s Book 1+2 (M) [4]
    R-Type Complete (M)

Of what I have my favorites would be Alien Crush, Ninja Spirit, and Splatterhouse.

I hope to review some turbo games for my website someday, but I don't have enough experience with the system yet to be critical.

tops on my want list are Dracula X, Devil's Crush, and a PC-engine converter.

Cheers,
    le geek
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I would post a long, rambling comment in this thread... but rather than do that.

<shameless plug>
    Read my intro to the TG-16 section of DP 7!!
    </shameless plug>

And if you don't have one, send Joe an e-mail and pick up a copy. GREAT covereage on Turbo stuff

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

CD-Dracula X, no question. Godzilla is a close second. As for the Hu-card, I love Blazing Lazers and Bloody Wolf.

Legendary Axe 1 & 2 were both classics and still are. You can't forget Splatterhouse!

Deep Blue. I'm actually blaming Joe for this one. In the guide, he put down that it was a shooter. I love shooters so I bought it off of E-bay using BIN for $14.99. Granted it's a shooter, but there should be more warning. This is one of the WORST 16-bit games ever released. That little negative sign doesn't say enough.

- Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action?
    What game was it? What was your reaction?
    No I don't. I probably had seen it at some point when I was younger, but I don't remember. When I bought the console, Bloody Wolf was #1.

Never got it until about a year ago and have since upgraded to a Duo.
    15 or so CD, 20 or so Hu-cards.

See above for the "Deep Blue" incident. Nuff said.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was wondering if emulators like Magic Engine have lessened you TG-16 collectors desires to keep collecting any? I notice how unusually high TG game prices seem compared to other older classic systems. Why the heck has NEC been just sitting on their asses all this time with the rights to all these ROMS and the systems when they could have been releasing emulated game packs, ala the Arcades Greatest Hits series, for years now?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod
    Deep Blue. I'm actually blaming Joe for this one. In the guide, he put down that it was a shooter. I love shooters so I bought it off of E-bay using BIN for $14.99. Granted it's a shooter, but there should be more warning. This is one of the WORST 16-bit games ever released. That little negative sign doesn't say enough.
    Dude, in the description of that game, specifically "Santulli Slant" it states QUITE clearly that this is one of the worst games ever made. No way you can blame ME of all people for buying it, I'm one of the people telling everyone NOT to (unless you're collecting, specifically).

So there. :P

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

great topic you have here- i actually dropped what i was doing, grabbed my crate o' pc-e/tg-16 games and spread the all over the floor to count and consider:

it's a tough call, but for now, i'll have to go with gotzendiener or dracula x,

double dungeons, bonk's revenge, dungeon explorer II, flash hiders, cosmic fantasy 2-4, exile/exile 2, linda cube, vasteel, neutopia, cadash, download 2, dead of the brain, volfiev (qix), louga, hellfire s, dynastic hero, macross 2036, space cruiser yamato, blood gear, lord of wars, psychic storm, star parodia, travel epule, all the far east of eden games, snatcher, and i'll stop here or else, i'll end up goin' on forever...

the big "shocks" were exile (seeing the more "adult" enhanced story over the genesis version, which i played numerous times- i still like the genny's main title arrangement better!) and how much i hated y's I & II- not that they're bad at all- i just expected a lot more based on what folks were telling me about them, lol) also, gotzendiener is amazing for an import game, as you don't need a lick of english to play and enjoy it (it's too short in the end, but it's worth the ride- in a way it reminds me of ico...) also, keith courage had a really bad rap back in the day with too many folks- i avoided it myself, but one day i just shut up and played it- it's quite the cool little game!

games that made me NUTS: riot zone (ugh), fighting street (so incredibly...),
    deep blue (sold it the same day i bought it), rock on (yeesh), and a couple of
    areas in efera and jiloria (attack a townsperson by mistake, and see what happens). not to mention the jumping in exile II (boss fights..painful), strip fighter II (ouch), golden axe, and forgotten worlds, among others...

oh yeah. i bought a used duo, exile, cosmic fantasy 2, vasteel, and magical chase in one shot. i popped in exile as soon as i got home, and played the game from start to finish in one looong sitting (about 12 or so hours, including an unplanned nap, lol)

wayyyyy back in 1993 or 94, i actually saw a stack of tg-16's (marked down to $50) in a kaybee and passed on buying (and the stack of turbo expresses behind the counter) because i was a sega snob at the time (and i wanted a jaguar, lol). my duo was the 8th system i got, and it appealed to me once i found out that it would play most import cd games without any modification (it's a 3.0 model). i later picked up a pc-engine core grafx and a turbo express to take care of my import/on the road needs (but i've never taken my express outside, lol). all i need now is a pc-engine cd attachment for the small amount of arcade card games i have (got the card already)...

about 180- (135 import, 45 u.s.)

hmmmm....see above, lol...actually- i find that a LOT of titles appeared on this system BEFORE they became popular here on the genesis/md and snes/super famicom, and i wonder what would have happened if NEC had brought over more of those games and had enough bucks to actually promote them?