Thread: Dreamcast Re-born?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dreamcast Re-born?

I tell ya I'm not living in the past... it's just hard to fathom a product like the dc failing. I understand there were a few kinks in sega's maketing and maybe bad timing to the mass. but heck, it came out early, had the best launch lineup,on par with ps2 with better image quality,had a simple interesting look that made you want to pick up a controller and play, plus Sega made games that appeal to the whole family and the The controller was simple, not complicated. and priced @ mass appeal. how can that not work?!? Dc was the first console to go online on top of that, nyway, I'm writing this played out thread cos when I play Dc it feels curent with the gerneration....but then again the current gen is coming to and eding with the 360 out now...

I think if there ever was a better time for dc in the market it would be now. what do you guys think? look at the explosion of plug n play retro consoles...people enjoy cheap, simple plug n paly gameplay. Look at the direction that nintendo is going with revolution: siimple pick up and play- not big enphisis on graphics good ol' fun!

I tried to like the x360.... I really did. I played the demos in the stores, I held the controller and it's nice but nothing really WOW new. I think people are just looking for some good old fashion fun game play. Look how 360 sold in japan a few days ago....nothing special, arond 60-70 thousand units

Would it even be possible for dc to re enter the market as a cheap alternitive to the mainstream? If sega made a bunch of consoles available at a cheap price and let's face it, (dc's are cheap so that not a problem )
    along with the Shenmue 3 on sega's direct network in japan, it would sell with little investment. Ehh Forget it we all know shemue 3 is going to 360 with a bunch of other cool games. I have to much free time...... x_x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As true as it is that the 360 launch was awful (and will likely not get much better), there's just no way the DC is coming back as anything. It would be nice to see it go the Neo Geo route, but considering even Sega is onto Lindberg now, they're spending more resources on cutting edge arcade games, instead of easily-ported Naomi ones. The sad thing is, there is a market for small production arcade ports at higher than average prices. It's just not in the deck though.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It says in this month's Game Informer that Shenmue 3 will not be made? Is this true? Shenmue 2 is the only reason I have an Xbox...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that's what I mean. kind of like the neo geo but only beter.
    DC could fill a 2d niche market. U know some developers are still using the naomi board like g rev..........

AS for Shenmue 3..... who knows? You may want to check out Shemuedojo.com but last I heard yu sazuki is sayas there is no plans for a s3 as of now....what ever that means. shenmue 3 was deffinately in dev, I've seen art work for it. It may appear on ps3 or 360 but from the xbox sales of shenmue 2. Like I said, I think the best platform for Shemue 3 is dc on d-direct in japan only. i think it's the best market for that game at this point. Look, sega dumped alot fo time and money into shenmue only to watch it sink in sales.

Btw, anyone know what the world wide user base of dc is?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It has always been my opinion that the Dreamcast never died.
    Therefore, it would not have to be reborn.
    If something has an incredible fan-base, it is very hard for it to die.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shenmue 3 on the DC would be suicide. THe point of putting out DC games now is quick (and cheap) ports from Naomi games that are preferabbly already in the black. Shenmue 3 will cost millilons to make. They would just be pissing away money putting it on the DC.
    gamengai
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shupirate

I have played thru the age of Atari 2600-XBOX and personally the DC years were and still are the best gaming years of my life. PSO online with my brother at night until 3-4 AM battling through waves of monsters looking for the elusive rare items were the best times ever. Soul Calibur is still the best fighter I have ever played. I can go on and on. I just wanted to express those thoughts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yes, it sees like it would be suicide..you have a good point but lets look at someing for just a moment. How well did it sell on xbox? compared to DC in europe and japan? That would be some interesting figures to look at.

yeah, it would cost some money to make. But Most of the high cost of shenmue has been done... at nearly the cost of the company thouhg. no more 200 man team dev ..those days are gone... Shenmue 3 could just use an slightly updated shenmue 2 engine and the dc would offer the cheapest and the fastest hardware to make it. the shenmue team know the dc hardware verry well. they could just plug in some old katana(original dc name) dev kits and plug away. fact is dc is the fastest and cheapest way to go. marketing...now that a whole new story

need another reason? well the DC was born out of Shenmue. they are made for each other.... they compliment each other. yu sazuke seems to have no pland for shem on the current sonsoles cos he just dosen't see a fit. he thried it with xbox and yes $$$ms has a a little bit to do with that but when you get down to the raw sushi, shenmue 3 fits dc like a glove, that includes marketing.

The gaming market is gouing throiuhg some changes right now... look at the new plug n play games people don't care about graphics...it's simple living room fun with some friends and a pizzia I think the market would be more excpting of dc right now. Sega just needs to give the dc a image of the fun little alternative white console.
    ok, Think of how many people own dreamcast already.
    Sega could include a flyer slip of shemue 3 artwork as a teaser with the rumored re-releash refibished dc's to strke interest and maybe a redesigned/smaller dc to strike interest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The original Shenmue team (if most of them are even employed at AM2 still) have most likely forgotten the DC by now. As someone that works closely w/ computers, if you're not eating and breathing your code, you forget it. Regardless of how much they can re-use, there's still a huge cost involved. The savings they would save versus the pain of shooting themselves in the balls by only selling 10,000 copies b/c they sold it on the DC is beyond conversation.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it. But I've come to the realization that I will see a flying elephant first.
    gamengai
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ask & Ye Shall Recieve ....

Here ya go Jonny !

"DreamCast" Is Being ReReleased

Later!
    CLICK > "paisleyATOM" -- Your Source For 68000 Apple Computer Entertainment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

10,000 copies?? non no no were not talking about xbox. it can be done if done right with perfect timeing and a point specific maketing image. ...er waht ever that means...

How many people own dc currently? huh? look, it's not gona do anything on 360 ont even ps3! shenmue is old stuff now. all the new next gen consoel will be around 50-60% more expensive to dev on basicly,now, mainstrem forgot about shenmue, the've moved on.... they wana play halo 3 and mgs4.

I see them selling alot more than 10,000. .....dose anyone know the xbox u.s sales figures for shen2? what about shen2 dc in japan and europe?

I'm not saying this as a sega fan I'm saying because I like marketing. I'm not a marketing major but I like to sort of predict market trends if you will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Ask & Ye Shall Recieve ....

No it's not.

10,000 copies?? Laughing non no no were not talking about xbox.
    Indeed, we're talking about a long dead system. Sega's best bet to break even on Shenmue 3 is the PS3. Even before it's out it is apparently the only one that will have a huge userbase in all regions (much like the PS2).

If you still don't believe me, ask yourself this. Why are there are only obscurities released on the DC now? There's a very good reason -- b/c a "new" game on the DC won't make even close to enough money to cover the cost... especially something as huge as Shenmue.

And the final test: If Shenmue 1 and 2 flopped so bad on the system, why would 3 fair any better long after support for the system has dwindled?
    gamengai
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll deal with you later. .... now, I'm gona jejoice in the way...and play sum jet grind.

Shabbat shlalom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

while you play doa2 limited edition one handed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder if the fact that you could download and play a pirated copy of any DC game you desired without even having to mod the system had anything to do with its failure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

good point............. at the end of the day I'm just saying imo (for what ever it's worth)... is that The biggest Shenmue fan base were the people who own a dc. I mean it was one huge selling point for dc. for a lot of people shenmue was the reason for buying dc. it was the systems top dog killer app.