Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You lazy bastards need to buy a monitor and vga cable!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default You lazy bastards need to buy a monitor and vga cable!

There are alot of Xbox 360 related threads that mention the fact that not everybody is privliged enough to own a HDTV. I just read the King Kong one, and alot of people in that thread were commenting on the fact that they just can't afford a HDTV right now, and they aren't going to be able to get one in the near future, ....yada yada yada.

God, this shit really pisses me off. It really pisses me off, that people don't realize that you can have a kick ass 20 inch HDTV for less than $100.

When you can have a kick ass HDTV for under $100, then you have no freaking excuse not to get one. Any dumbass, can go to www.craigslist.org and click on their nearest city, click on the computer section, and find somebody selling a kick ass 21 inch Sony computer monitor for dirt cheap, because they decided that CRT's are things of the past.

I was able to get a 21 inch Sony for $80, and you should be able to get one too. It's easy as pie. Then just get the XBOX 360 VGA plug.

Whoila...... Instant 20 inch HDTV for $100.

So please, stop it already with the damn HDTV's are still too expensive thing. If you don't have a spare $100 to spend on that, then you have no business buying a XBOX 360 right now anyways.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I appreciate the advice, but I don't think that calling everyone on the boards a lazy bastard is a very wise idea.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

It's been tossed around a few time on here in various threads but i guess not a lot of people think about it.

The VGA cable also seems to be a little hard to find in a lot of area's so that may have something to do with it.

Edit: On a related note anyone know where i can get my hands on an X RGB 2? or maybe i should wait for the Gamebridge.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only reason I used "lazy bastard", is because I know it will cause people to actually read the thread briefly, to see what the heck the person is talking about.

It's just that a very, very, very small percentage of the human populace realizes that they can have a HDTV for under $100. It's simply called a freaking computer monitor.

You get a RCA DTC-100 for cheap, and you can watch over the air HDTV on it too! (it has VGA output).

Also, CRT's are way better than LCD's, but everybody is into everything being thin. I highly recommend that everybody get a black 21 inch PC monitor and use it just like they would a 20 inch TV. Except it would basically be a 20 inch 4:3 HDTV. You would need to get a cheapo transcoder to watch crappy TV and VCR and shiznit like that on it. You would also need a little 2.1 sound system for it. Of course, you can get a decent one of those on craigslist too, for dirt cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well that's a good point, I actually never thought of doing it that way

Hmm I very well might go and do that.

I was the one who said I really couldn't afford an HDTV but I will agree they are definitly not to expensive plus they have dropped so much in price the last couple years

that is a really good suggestion though so I will thank you for that but to freak out because someone said that it was to expensive.....

whatever..

anyway thanks again.

I will go and look for one now.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

not to rain on your eye candy parade but some people rather use the money to get more games with that very same amount of money than a better video set up no matter how cheap it may be.

anyways is it bad when i read a title about graphics i know anthony1 started it?
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People play on TV's smaller than 27" ?!?!??!!

I don't see the point in getting HDTV if it's that small. For me, When I get the high definition television, I am planning to be stepping on up in my viewing pleasure. HSTV, to me, should be widescreen, and fairly large. If you aren't watching HDTV on a 32"+ screen, I see no point in even having it.

Henceforth, why HDTV is still too damned expensive.

Of course, this is my first complaint, so apparently your thread didn't concern me. I just wanted you to read it you jerk. Your 21" solution is stupid.

::

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

I got an idea. Why don't they make a flipping Xbox 360 DVI cable. Then I could hook my 360 up to my computer monitor. That would be nice, but I still would not be satisfied.

Why not? Because it is not sitting in front of my couch. Which is the same reason I am not buying a cheap CRT for $100 and the VGA cable for $40 so I can sit in front of a table to play my 360. I like having a comfortable chair to sit in while I play my video games.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Wow, my opinion of you is even less than it was previously. Seriously, man, you need to chill the fuck out. You're coming off as a pompous ass and there's absolutely no need for it whatsoever.

Regardless of your intention with calling everyone a 'lazy bastard' or 'dumbass', it's still unnecessary. Not everyone places a priority on having the most amazing video setup. Not everyone has a huge boner about their video setup like you do, it'd be great to know that you understand that. It's one thing to be excited about something, it's another to be condescending towards those who can't/won't follow your advice for whatever reason. Your advice is solid for someone looking for a cheap solution to HDTV, but rather than posting it in a simple and helpful way (i.e. HDTV Solution for $100), you're rude to those who 'aren't as smart as you' or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Anothony1
    If you don't have a spare $100 to spend on that, then you have no business buying a XBOX 360 right now anyways.
    You need to stop right there. Not everyone has extra cash to just throw at things like you do. That $100 might be a drop in the bucket for you, but for many(myself included), money is a valuable commodity. I'm sure many folks will be getting theirs as gifts for Christmas(me again) or scraped together what little funds/trade they had available to get a 360.

Plenty of people will be playing 360's with basic composite A/V since they don't have the means to rush out and buy the latest TV, or even get a cheap solution. They're going to enjoy their system as much as you're enjoying yours, because they're willing to live within their means and accept what they have as the best, and there's nothing wrong with that. HDTVs are still a luxury item, and will be until it's the ONLY thing available on the market. I will continue to say that HDTVs are too expensive, because to me, they are. I make decent enough money at what I do, and the TV I currently have suits me just fine. It might not be an HDTV, but it looks great to me and I'm happy with it.

I enjoyed playing a friends' 360 on a standard TV just as much as I enjoyed playing it on an in-store demo kiosk. Nowhere does it state that you HAVE to own an HDTV to enjoy a 360. That statement really shows me what kind of person you are.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Look, the original title of the thread was more of a joke than anything. I could give a rats ass what you guys do. Continue playing your 360's on your black and white Zeniths from 1976 for all I care.

It's just that whenever I hear people talking about HDTV's like they could never afford them in a million years, it just irritates me, because I know that these people have no idea whatsoever about using a large computer monitor as a HDTV.

I cannot stress enough how easy it is to get a very large CRT computer monitor for dirt cheap. In fact, some people just give the damn things away, because they bought a flat panel LCD monitor for their computer, and they have this big 21 inch CRT monitor in their Garage taking up space.

I could go on craigslist right now, and find somebody that has a 21 inch monitor for like $125, and I can offer them $60 for it, and they will most likely take it. Simply because they thing that CRT technology is dead, and they just want to get rid of the thing.

So, getting the equivalent of a 20 inch 4:3 HDTV for $60, is a pretty sweet deal if you ask me. You can use the thing with your Dreamcast, and your XBOX 360, with the respective VGA cables. There are cheapo devices that were designed with allowing people with Playstations and GameCube's to use them on a VGA monitor, and it will take a S-Video signal and convert it so that it can be displayed on a PC monitor. So you just get one of those, and then you get a 4 switch VGA switcher, and you can have all kinds of shit hooked up to it.

I'm telling you, it's the best kept secret. I got a black 21 inch monitor, and I have it on a TV stand that was meant for 25 inch TV's. I got a little 2.1 video game speaker system hooked up to it, and I've played my Xbox 360 on it, and it looks absolutely fantastic. In fact, this display, even though it isn't widescreen, gives me the most clarity of any display that I have.

As for it being way too small, well it really isn't that small. How many people have a 20 inch TV in one of their bedrooms. It's basically the same damn thing. Obviously, you sit closer to it than a normal TV, but I'm telling you, if I came over to your house and brought my exact 21 inch setup to your room, and forced you to play Call of Duty and NBA 2K6 on it, you would never let me take it away from your house. You would be mesmerized by it.

And it can be yours for about $60 and a 360 VGA cable.

Sure, we would all like to have a 70 inch plasma hanging on our walls, but beggars can't be choosers. This is simply meant for the broken individual that wants to experience the joy of a playing a 360 in High Definition, albeit on a small 20 inch 4:3 HDTV, but hey.... it's a great stop gap solution to hold you over until you can shell out some good snaps for a real deal HDTV.

Again, the key factor here is that this is something that is super dirt cheap, super impressive, and super obtainable. Somebody, please try this out and report back. I guarantee that somebody that tries this out will be totally amazed by it, and they will say something like this in a future post,

"That Anthony1 dude really knows what they hell he was talking about. I decided to get a 21 inch PC monitor for cheap off Craigslist, and I got the 360 VGA cable, and now I can't believe the difference. It's truly astonishing! Thanks alot Anthony1 for letting me in on the best kept secret."

And you can show you thanks to me by sending me a TG-16 Hu card.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JJNova
    People play on TV's smaller than 27" ?!?!??!!

I don't see the point in getting HDTV if it's that small. For me, When I get the high definition television, I am planning to be stepping on up in my viewing pleasure. HSTV, to me, should be widescreen, and fairly large. If you aren't watching HDTV on a 32"+ screen, I see no point in even having it.

Henceforth, why HDTV is still too damned expensive.

Of course, this is my first complaint, so apparently your thread didn't concern me. I just wanted you to read it you jerk. Your 21" solution is stupid.

::
    My thoughts exactly. I have a 27" TV, and I wish it was bigger. I'm not about to downgrade to a smaller picture, regardless of the hike in picture quality, and I'm DEFINITELY not going to convert to a setup that makes hooking up multiple systems to one TV/Monitor more difficult (my main TV has 10 systems on it, and I don't have room to add another monitor).

Anthony1, if your preference is different from mine, then that's fine by me. I'm glad you found something you're that happy about - seriously, I am. But I for one am growing a tad tired of being persuaded to use these 'cheap fixes'. I like my setup just fine, and if you see it as inferior than I hope that can remain your own business.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seriously dude. People are tired of hearing this RGB/HDTV shit. All you're doing by ranting on is giving it and all it's fans, including me, a bad name.

Combine the stuff you have written here on DP onto a single webpage, put up some RF/composite/S-video/RGB/component/HDTV/whatever comparison shots, a list of people you've helped to see the light and a link to the page into your sig. If you can't find a free host, I'll host it for you, provided that you come up with better jokes than lazy bastards and dumbass.

But for the love of God, stop making these threads.

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You have crossed the line from "raging fanboy" to "condescending asshat." Please, for the love of All That Is Holy, STFU.

Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidleeroth
    Seriously dude. People are tired of hearing this RGB/HDTV shit. All you're doing by ranting on is giving it and all it's fans, including me, a bad name.

Combine the stuff you have written here on DP onto a single webpage, put up some RF/composite/S-video/RGB/component/HDTV/whatever comparison shots, a list of people you've helped to see the light and a link to the page into your sig. If you can't find a free host, I'll host it for you, provided that you come up with better jokes than lazy bastards and dumbass.

But for the love of God, stop making these threads.
    I've always thought the webpage idead would be a good one for you. Unlike others, I don't get annoyed with your thread and I understood that this particular thread's title was a joke. Still, you could just put a link to your site in your sig and advertise it that way. You can give all kinds of advice. Next year, I'll be in the market for an HDTV. If you had a well-crafted buyer's guide on the web, I'd check it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey if I wanna be called a lazy bastard Ill call my EX fiancee/GF thank you very much

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

I have rolled my eyes and kept quiet on these silly HD posts by you Anthony but this is getting ridiculous.

Don't assume that everyone here is a "lazy bastard" and knows absolutely nothing about HD, CRT's, and the like. I don't care if you were trying to get attention or not - people will actually still read posts without a degrading term in the subject. Really, they will.

Seriously, do you actually play your games, or just sit and watch the intro screens in HD? I'm genuinely curious.

I hope you get a stocking stuffed with RF switches this holiday. Merry Christmas!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hi
    i want a tv,not a computer monitor that is 21'.

also dude,it is getting annoying and old.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gamegirl79
    I hope you get a stocking stuffed with RF switches this holiday. Merry Christmas!
    God that was good.

I appreciate your work on the subject anythony, just cut back on the treads with the same subject.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    That $100 might be a drop in the bucket for you, but for many(myself included), money is a valuable commodity.
    in that case dont get a 500 dollar gaming platform

anthony has a good point, everyone here is just sour he insulted you guys, but that doesnt detract from him being right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    zebrassss

Quote Originally Posted by JJNova
    If you aren't watching HDTV on a 32"+ screen, I see no point in even having it.
    My HDTV is only 27" but I still enjoy it and it's plenty big.