Thread: FF IV Advanced released

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default FF IV Advanced released

I just got it today and I'm starting to play through it now. So far it looks the same as the original except for a few changes. Its got more of the Jap release features, like the spell names and Cecil has a special skill called "Dark". Also it seems like it has a slightly slower framerate, which is odd...but it isn't noticeable after a while.

But come on Square/Enix, please give us back Cure, Cure2, Cure3, and Cure4. I hate Cure, Curaga, Curaja, and all that other crap, I gotta remember which is which.

However the guy in one of the inns saying "I heard the Antlion Cave has fat loots!" is a great touch.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So far so good. For the most part it’s pretty decent. I almost immediately noticed a slight difference in the soundtrack but other than that it is a good translation. I could do without some of the more modern words like one of the town’s people saying “sweet”. So far the plot is more in depth and makes more sense. I still have FFII on the SNES and FFIV on the PS1 and can say that so far, this might be the best version yet.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Strawberry (Level 2) Super Mario Fan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was thinking of picking this one up, because I have a $10.00 off my next GBA game purchase sourtesy of the Famicom Micro, so I this would be the perfect game to try out the system with. I've never played a Final Fantasy game in-depth (I didn't really get into Dawn of Souls), so is this game worth picking up if you're not into the series?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I bought the strategy guide (the official Nintendo one) the other day, pretty good guide, not the best. but good. I am expecting this for Christmas, I can't wait!

-Chris
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

I bought it for myself on tuesday, but its going to be a christmas present to myself (along with my Famicom micro).
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bought it 2 days ago, and am having a blast with it. I just never thought I'd ever get to play my favorite FF game in english, in portable form. Thanks SE!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Super Mario Fan
    I was thinking of picking this one up, because I have a $10.00 off my next GBA game purchase sourtesy of the Famicom Micro, so I this would be the perfect game to try out the system with. I've never played a Final Fantasy game in-depth (I didn't really get into Dawn of Souls), so is this game worth picking up if you're not into the series?
    Speaking as a gigantic fan of the series who has been playing it since around '92, I'd say 4 is a great starting point on the series. It's actually what got me into Final Fantasy (back then I was like, 9 years old). It's not too easy, too hard or too complicated, has a good (note: for an early 90's console rpg) story and characters, good battle/character-specific class system, and a respectable amount of freedom/secret hunting in the last part of the game. Plus from what I've played of them so far, the new bonus dungeons are fun too.
    Amateur Sega Nut: SMS: 8 Megadrive: 13 Mega CD: 4 Saturn: 67 Dreamcast: 44

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by luffy744
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Mario Fan
    Speaking as a gigantic fan of the series who has been playing it since around '92, I'd say 4 is a great starting point on the series. It's actually what got me into Final Fantasy (back then I was like, 9 years old). It's not too easy, too hard or too complicated, has a good (note: for an early 90's console rpg) story and characters, good battle/character-specific class system, and a respectable amount of freedom/secret hunting in the last part of the game. Plus from what I've played of them so far, the new bonus dungeons are fun too.
    For sure, and the character development is probably what makes it my #1 favorite game ever, as obviously told by my inventory, my avatar, and my title.

As soon as I've got $24 to spare I'm definitely getting this from work, and after finishing my Xmas shopping I may just have to buy a Famicom Micro for this as well :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up FFIV, Legend of Heroes and PoPoLoCrois this week, and I've definitely spent more time with FFIV than the others (even though I've played it before and still own my original SNES copy... ) However, I've noticed at least one 'feature' that I don't remember from the original that I suspect may be a bug -- double attacks. Sometimes it appears that characters will occasionally get a chance to make a second move right after their first, even though their action bar is nearly empty. Has anyone else noticed this?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I've noticed some strange timing issues.

And don't judge FF:IV by looking at FFoS. FFIV is much better IMO.

I kinda liked some of the edited text. Where one guy uses the words "fat loot" and another says "they are a fighting for of extraordinary magnitude" (a clear props to Kentucky Fried Movie), considering the guys that say 'em are ones you probably never talked to in the first place.

Overall I'm impressed, the game really hasn't changed, and the music really hasn't either. I kinda wish they woulda thrown in another game on the cart though. And I wish they wouldn't have changed monster names from the american version.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haha, I was just having a conversation with the zealot about the translation of FF4. He was saying it was heresy that Square renamed "Gilbert" to "Edward". I said that most people don't care, and would prefer the original names whenever possible. I hate the fira, firaga spell names and such.

At any rate, I look forward to playing through this game once again. This is the first year I have never played through it, as I have been waiting for this release.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Been playing it since Tuesday night...still going strong...just got out of the zero gravity cave to save the Earth Crystal...Must save Rosa!

The translation is pretty solid imho compared to the recent PSX. Yet I simply love running into the new monsters by far.

Can anyone tell if this is the Easy Type (SNES FF2) or Original FFIV (J) port?
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!