Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OCD things you've done in RPGs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default OCD things you've done in RPGs

I just bought Final Fantasy IV Advance on GBA today, which is the first time I've played that game in about a decade. It reminded me that when I was younger, on my original SNES cart, I leveled up Palom and Porom until they could cast Holy and Meteo. It took an unbelievably long time to do this. (I still have the cart with that save file on it, but I'm afraid its battery will die in the relatively near future.)

Thinking about this reminded me of all of the other obsessive-compulsive stuff I've done in RPGs, mostly SNES ones. These things range from minor like beating the Emerald and Ruby weapons in FFVII, to getting the Sword of Kings for Poo in Earthbound, all the way to beating Earthbound in Japanese (I don't speak any Japanese) without using a guide or a walkthrough (let me tell you, the monkey cave was a bitch) or getting four economizers in the dinosaur forest in FFIII. Still, I think teaching Palom and Porom Holy and Meteo takes the cake.

I'm sure I'm not nearly the hardcore RPG player (or gamer, for that matter) of many on this site, so what weird crap like this have you guys all done? I especially await someone with related Disgaea stories--that game just begs for it.
    Feedback thread here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

small beans, I know.. I but got a kick out of leveling everyone up in FFVI to 99 and teaching everyone everything with all of the Espers. I don't think I'll ever do that again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not really an RPG per se, but I leveled myself and every familiar up to 99 in Castlevania:SOTN on the PSX.

I also maxed out everyone in Lunar for the Sega CD.

Played through Ys IV: Mask of the Sun & Ys V on the Super Famicom and Ys IV: Dawn of Ys on Turboduo in Japanese. Mask of the Sun was pretty dull with no story. I have also played through all three 16-Bit versions (Duo, SNES, Genesis) of Ys III: Wanderers from Ys.

All of this and I am most definitely not a huge RPG person at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx
    small beans, I know.. I but got a kick out of leveling everyone up in FFVI to 99 and teaching everyone everything with all of the Espers. I don't think I'll ever do that again.
    Technically, that and pretty much anything else anyone has or will post on this thread beats my Palom and Porom business. The logged time spent on that file is just 27 hours, and P&P are only on level 56. It just seems so obscene that I ever took the time to have done that at all; it's not like you get to keep those characters to the end or anything--you only have them for, what, an hour or two of playtime if you do things the way you're supposed to.
    Feedback thread here

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never have the dedication or disorder needed to do anything to wacky, but I would like to max everyone's jobs in FFV.
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you had to be OCD to do the Nintendo Power challenge for Final Fantasy - beat it with 4 White Mages. I did it with all fighters and all black mages, but was too scared to try with white - that'd be way too rough.

Dav
    e

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Every time I get a game that you can level up in...I'll grind away until the game becomes crippled with advanced age.

Something I have to try not to do anymore!

Oh, MY personal favorite story?

I've got 90+ hours on one Phantasy Star Online Ep. 1 & 2 character.

All that time was played offline. I've never logged into the online service - can't, actually, until/unless I buy a GC broadband adapter.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My OCD tendencies are probably why I don't play RPGs any more. I have to play to perfection. Missing an item or opportunity to level up is totally unacceptable. I just fear "That's going to catch up with me later, and I'll be screwed".

I also like battles to be absolute slaughter. Not "let me ressurect half my party now that this battle is over"...more like "how the hell did X lose 7 hit points...I'm starting from the last save!"

I do this kind of stuff in other games too, but it's bearable...like saay, when I played the first level of Gradius V over 50 times before I thought I'd done well enough to take on the next level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Getting every charecter in Chono Trigger to lvl 99. That was a great summer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh, heh, Kid Ice got me thinking.

I "love" collecting items, but I never, EVER use them (except in a game like PSO where I can be sure there's a stock).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Rock
    Getting every charecter in Chono Trigger to lvl 99. That was a great summer.
    I thought the levels become stars long before the numbers get anywhere near 99.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I spent one entire summer playing Dragon Warrior III Remix until I had almost every gold medal. School arrived, I stopped playing, and somehow my save got erased...so I started all over again. If I recall correctly, there are around 500 monster medals. There's one for every monster, in 3 sets of increasing rarity, plus special versions, and there's a small chance of one dropping after every battle. I also played against the secret dragon boss until I could beat him in 9 moves. This involved using 2 Thief/Fighters with Sage magic abilities, one former Thief-Jester with Sage spells and Mage-level MP, and casting support spells/Thordain every move with my Hero. I would cast Twinhits on my fighters and they would just decimate with their critical hits.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FFI: I talk to every bat. I've played it all the way through with 4 of each class (yes even 4 white mages). I've played it through with a single fighter.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I play an rpg, I ALWAYS have to check every door, talk to every npc, open every chest ...ect I usually explore areas way longer than I really need too and end up wasting tons of time doing so.
    Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It doesn't matter how many times I play FFVII or other similar games, I just have to use the same characters each time. I can't bring myself to play through a game a second or third time using different characters each time. I just can't do it. After the first time through, you kind of get used to the set characters and their abilities... If it ain't broke Etc...

Especially in FFVII, I have to use the same Materia in the same weapons too, for the very same reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mine:
    Every few years I replay FF1...every time I max out everyone to Level 50, and make sure I have 99 of every possible buyable item. All magic levels are full, including the none-mages.

Maxed out FFVI characters with the raft trick...left the SNES on for 4 straight days...the ultimate Loop

Ys I + II maxed out to full stats using the infinite basment/fireball "maze" trick.

Friend Alan:
    Maxed out FFVII so badly that he had Master SUMMONs for EVERY Character...with one extra...killed end boss in one melee round due to some bizarre fucked up Materia mixing.

Panzeer Dragoon Saga he had 100% in every stat, including areas visited and areas explored.

God knows what else he would have done had I kept track

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I played through Shining Force once using ONLY Khris instead of the usual army of 12. (A friend had hacked the save file so she was recruited from the begining). But that wasn't all that hardcore cause the girl ends up being a tank.

I also discovered all the collectable figures in Minish cap by doing nothing for days except weeding the grass for mysterious shells and going to the vending machine. Extremely tedious and hardly worth the reward in the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whenever I'm in a room, with more than one door that I can exit, I always MUST enter each door, then return to the orgional room, to enter another door.
    I won't go anywhere in the rooms that I entered until I have seen what all of them look like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There’s a level in FFII where you can hit an “alarm” enemy and he will summon a “MacGiant”. I would kill these MacGiants again and again and again in the same fight (around 50 or so) and then finally end the battle, After 10 or so hours I would have my team maxed out at LV99.

I also spent a ton of time looking for and fighting the ridiculous pinkpuff.

Man, those were the days…

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Every time I get a game that you can level up in...I'll grind away until the game becomes crippled with advanced age.

Something I have to try not to do anymore!

Oh, MY personal favorite story?

I've got 90+ hours on one Phantasy Star Online Ep. 1 & 2 character.

All that time was played offline. I've never logged into the online service - can't, actually, until/unless I buy a GC broadband adapter.
    Heh, I think I have 127 hours on my FoMar. Never went online either. I hope PSU is as fun as PSO was (and still is)