Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad EBGames policy, watch out.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    The only thing I don't get, is that if the customer has paid in full for the title, why not ring it through as a sale and put it in the back room for them? Someone who has paid for an item in FULL is most likely not going to flake out on you, and if they do it's THEIR loss, as the store is covered both with payment and inventory replenishment. As a former GameStop ASM, I know we did this with no problems. It didn't happen often and it helped keep our store's customers happy and buying from us.
    Mainly because it's not the stores money, it still belongs to the customer. EB isn't a bank and we don't give interest.

And what if they got another copy elsewhere and wanted a refund? There's paperwork involved that shouldn't be involved. It's just a sloppy way to make sells. Keeping the customers happy is cool though.

Quote Originally Posted by devils advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT
    "Customers don't care about inventory structures"

Maybe, but stockholders do. Do you just hate all corporations because they have policies that help them maximize profits?
    There is no way that MY management community would ever think that it is acceptable to sell a PRE-SOLD item. Regardless of the scenario. I can not believe anyone here would support the practice, unless they are entry level, or are hard line on company rules.
    It's a two way deal. Under ideal circumstances, if every preorder/presell/pre-whatever customer witho 48 hours of the launch, there would be no problem. If they can't then what's the store going to do? Is it the store's fault? Should it be 72 hours? 14 days? I mean, how long is "not long enough"? What possible reason could a customer not be able to come to a store in a two-day window, barring some freak hospital visit out-of-state. And even then, if they were to call in and say they'll pick it up, 99 out of a 1000 times, that should be fine.

Aside from the recently released Animal Crossing DS, our EB hasn't really had anything like this happen. Excet with the 360s, and blah blah blah.

Like I said earlier, Avatard, complain to the DM but don't act like a dick. If you have, how did it go? Did you refund your money and throw a fit. I would have. HELLS YEAH.
    Collector of 1,673 strategy guides, and BlazBlue ain't one of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've done only done 1 return to them on a used game and ended up trading it for another game, which I was happy with. But ya, I only buy PC games there.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DonMarco
    The only thing I don't get, is that if the customer has paid in full for the title, why not ring it through as a sale and put it in the back room for them? Someone who has paid for an item in FULL is most likely not going to flake out on you, and if they do it's THEIR loss, as the store is covered both with payment and inventory replenishment. As a former GameStop ASM, I know we did this with no problems. It didn't happen often and it helped keep our store's customers happy and buying from us.
    Mainly because it's not the stores money, it still belongs to the customer. EB isn't a bank and we don't give interest.

And what if they got another copy elsewhere and wanted a refund? There's paperwork involved that shouldn't be involved. It's just a sloppy way to make sells. Keeping the customers happy is cool though.

Maybe, but stockholders do. Do you just hate all corporations because they have policies that help them maximize profits?
    There is no way that MY management community would ever think that it is acceptable to sell a PRE-SOLD item. Regardless of the scenario. I can not believe anyone here would support the practice, unless they are entry level, or are hard line on company rules.
    It's a two way deal. Under ideal circumstances, if every preorder/presell/pre-whatever customer witho 48 hours of the launch, there would be no problem. If they can't then what's the store going to do? Is it the store's fault? Should it be 72 hours? 14 days? I mean, how long is "not long enough"? What possible reason could a customer not be able to come to a store in a two-day window, barring some freak hospital visit out-of-state. And even then, if they were to call in and say they'll pick it up, 99 out of a 1000 times, that should be fine.

Aside from the recently released Animal Crossing DS, our EB hasn't really had anything like this happen. Excet with the 360s, and blah blah blah.

Like I said earlier, Avatard, complain to the DM but don't act like a dick. If you have, how did it go? Did you refund your money and throw a fit. I would have. HELLS YEAH.
    No. It's not a two way street. Customers do not HAVE to shop with you. It is a ONE way street. Everything that happens to a customer, all the way up the companies chain of command, effects the way they will do business with you again... Or not.

As a "DM" that handles two full Canadian provinces.. Probably equal to 6-7 American states geographically, The customer, while not ALWAYS right, does deserve to ALWAYS have their pre paid merchandise held for them. Our company has held items for over 6 months. If it is paid for, and the money is on the stores receipts.. Who cares?

You sound like a store employee who hates to have to worry about "grey" area merchandise. Sorry, you would work for/with me for about five minutes.

Who pays your wages , if you are in retail?...............The business?
    "That is the most kiddiest thing I ever heard." -ROTS MKII January 2 2008

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow. I don't think you realize who pays your paycheque.

Better take some classes....... Quickly!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

blah blah blah
    As a "DM" that handles two full Canadian provinces.. Probably equal to 6-7 American states geographically, The customer, while not ALWAYS right, does deserve to ALWAYS have their pre-paid merchandise held for them. Our company has held items for over 6 months. If it is paid for, and the money is on the stores receipts.. Who cares?
    "Deserve" is the key word. So is "customer".

Who pays your wages, if you are in retail?...............The business?
    Haha! For a second there I thought you realized I was an intellegent gamer and a hard-core associate for EB GAMES and have 18+ months under my belt and well over 5000000 positvie selling experiences. So, yeah, I'm "totally" retail and "virtually" eperienced enough to talk this out. So! EB Games (technically GameStop) pays my wages, and I don't work for commisions. I've no blemishes, bad marks on my record and am generally TOO AWESOME for discreditment.

blah blah blah
    No. It's not a two way street. Customers do not HAVE to shop with you. It is a ONE way street. Everything that happens to a customer, all the way up the companies chain of command, effects the way they will do business with you again... Or not.
    I'm also really nice to customers. First name basis with at least half the regulars, you know? Ask any manager I've had. Apparently, I'm the only nice, respecting and polite EB employee in America, hot damn!

Mr."DM". Let me add I have a "slight" idea how game launches go. I've done enough of them in my podunk town in Florida. Which is what I'll call "typical". In my "typical" town and for well over 5 years, I've seen how many games and (personally) (5) systems launched. I've never given away a presell and held preorders the required 48 hours and (if necessary) sold games that people didn't pick up in the first 48-72 hours. I'm really nice about that.

You sound like a store employee who hates to have to worry about "grey" area merchandise. Sorry, you would work for/with me for about five minutes.
    I don't see the fault in that statement, or why that's a good/bad thing. Then again, you have no idea who I am. OR DO YOU??????

And what's "grey" area merchandice?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And telecom assumes that what's true for his field of work is the same for video game retail.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think what people are arguing on is the idea which copy of the games is thiers. Here is how it could work With your route Telecom. I can come in and preorder say 6 copies of the same game right. Now if I never come in and pick these games up, and the game is not expected to have a large following then they will never, ever be replenished. EVER. Faulty ordering setup? Yes, but we are working in the confines of what we have right now. They will just sit there, people will come in and ask about them and be turned away. Now the company has to way the rights of the individual customer vs. potential customers. Again, this is only hypothetical, because as I've said a customer can ask the game to be held longer and it will be. So you say, "That's great, I'll be by in about 6 weeks!" We could sell your 6 copies 4 times over and still have 6 copies of the games in when you finally show up. If it wasn't really important to for you to have first shipment, why Preorder? For all intents and purposes the 24hrs is only a guideline to disuade people from pre ordering on Speculation.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote="DonMarco"]
    blah blah blah
    As a "DM" that handles two full Canadian provinces.. Probably equal to 6-7 American states geographically, The customer, while not ALWAYS right, does deserve to ALWAYS have their pre-paid merchandise held for them. Our company has held items for over 6 months. If it is paid for, and the money is on the stores receipts.. Who cares?

I don't understand that reply. Sorry.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And telecom assumes that what's true for his field of work is the same for video game retail.

It is generally. Retail is retail, regarding the treatment of customers. Especially in middle management. There are many who know less about the product than the floor staff.

How many times have you had some sort of manager visit, and think, "What an ass, he knows nothing about what we do".

This doesn't mean they are useless, it means their job focuses on other areas. Customer relations, employee relations, store layout, lease management, community relations, demographic reports etc;

I work with people who have varying degrees of knowledge in their field. Most things can be learned quickly, and often times management for any retail field is hired for what they bring, not what they know.

Some retailers hire from within for mid management, and some do not. Both ways work, and seemingly the best is a compromise of the two.

My current director had little knowledge of our field when he started. He learned, and is not only proficient with the products now, but the knowledge he brought with him from his other field, and his level of education is invaluable to us now.

So yes. Retail is retail. Most philosophies carry through the various types. Those who understand that, and work within it will prosper. Those who don't..... Well, enjoy being an entry level clerk, or finish off that trade or degree.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

If you call the customer and state you rintentions on ringin the sale through, and they agree to buy the game from you. If they can't make in to your store under the established 'pick up window', but state that they will be in to get the game from you in a few days, how is that a problem? No matter what, things aren't always going to run 100% smoothly and there are always going to be exceptions, so why not suffer the paperwork a couple of times to ensure that no one storms out of the store pissed off and spread ill word of mouth, thereby causing other people to question their faith in EB/GS or what have you. It's better to bite the bullet a couple of times in situations like that(which shouldn't be often at all), build rapport and repeat business.

You see all these posts that game store employees are assholes or whatever, and that's sad. Things like this make me realize that the people who go out of their way to help customers out, while still maintaining good inventory management and sales volume, are few and far between. Whether that is a result of the company's preaching or the indivdual's attitude is beyond me.

That's one of the reasons I'm glad I no longer work in the retail games industry.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's important to remember that I was talking about a PRE SOLD item, and not a pre ordered one.

I was going to respond to each of your replies, but just don't have time. Sorry. You made some good points.

What I will say, is that you sound like a very dedicated employee. Which is great. You are invaluable to your company, and I wish you well there. I've worked retail for nearly twenty years now,fifteen in mid management, and love it! I'm still learning what makes a happy retail environment, and things always change in both products and people!

On the other hand, I can't believe that you think your paycheque comes from EB/Gamestop. It does directly. Indirectly, it comes from every customer who spends ANY money with your company. Sometimes, if you think of it that way, it changes your thoughts toward the more "difficult" transactions.

Sadly, (and this is not aimed at any gamestore employee directly), I have heard some nightmare stories about retail employees in the game/electronic fields lately. Mostly regarding EB and Gamestop. And mainly to do with the last month or so, including, but not only, the 360 launch.

Unlike many though, I do not believe it is the store level clerks fault. It simply is not.

Regardless of stock issues, release dates, allotments from MS or other suppliers.

It is their upper/middle managements fault. Period. When your frontline staff are battling, what seems to them, as an insurmountable situation, you help them. Anyway you can. Even if that includes your CEO standing on the sales floor passing out "don't hate us.... please!" buttons.

EB/Gamestop has failed their employees, and their customers. In the long run, it will hit their bottom line. Short term will be stressed out clerks and customers who both want one thing. Information. Of which neither seems to be receiving from "their team".

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Who pays your wages, if you are in retail?...............The business?
    Haha! For a second there I thought you realized I was an intellegent gamer and a hard-core associate for EB GAMES and have 18+ months under my belt and well over 5000000 positvie selling experiences. So, yeah, I'm "totally" retail and "virtually" eperienced enough to talk this out. So! EB Games (technically GameStop) pays my wages, and I don't work for commisions. I've no blemishes, bad marks on my record and am generally TOO AWESOME for discreditment.

[quote="devils advocate"]
    blah blah blah

DonMarco,

It's great to be an expert in your field. It will help your customers make good decisions. Don't let it be arrogance though, let it be guidance. (and I'm not saying it is).

It is equally great to be well versed in your company policy, and to be able to apply the rules where neccessary. Mind you, it's better to know them, and utilize them to HELP your customers experience be the best it can be. It will make yours better also.

It is commendable to have a "perfect" record with your companies management. It is better to have one with your customers though.

I think It's awesome you have a good repour with your clients, but sad that you mention over and over how valuable YOU are, and how knowledgable.

Frankly, I would say the customer is the most valuable, as he pays your wages. And frankly the most knowledgable. He/she can make a very fast KNOWLEDGABLE decision on where to shop!!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

blah blah blah
    You don't have to. I'll link Merriam-Webster if you need it. I'm saying that the words "deserve" and "customer" aren't the best choices of wordings.

Sorry. PM me if you feel the need to drag this out further.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

blah blah blah
    You don't have to. I'll link Merriam-Webster if you need it. I'm saying that the words "deserve" and "customer" aren't the best choices of wordings.

Sorry. PM me if you feel the need to drag this out further.

If you think "deserve" and "customer" are poor choices in wording together, then maybe you need to take a long, hard look at your practices. Read my earlier post on what customers deserve from your business and from you.

And please, dont patronize me,by inferring dictionary links. I was not doing that to you. If I was, I would have mentioned something about your earlier post describing yourself as an intelligent gamer, all the while spelling intelligent incorrectly....

But I digress, I will not insult you. But I love a GOOD debate. Hence the name, I guess.

Regards'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just one thing, Devil's advocate. I alluded to differences in entertainment electronics and other retail businesses but didn't specify.

What I'm getting at precisely is that the large majority of other retail businesses do not have to deal with massive rushes and shortages on the day of the release of a product. People don't rush to the store when the 2006 line of men's ties comes out. They may occassionaly face shortages, but rarely immediately after release and usually only during the holiday season.

I had another question, you mentioned hearing about horrible practices with the recent Xbox 360 launch. Are you alluding to forced bundles? If you are, read on, if not, feel free to skip this.

Retail stores make almost NO profit on the sale of a system itself. The manufacturer's actually LOSE money on it. Also, because of the manufacturer's strict rules on pricing, we are not allowed to let the free market dictate the price. Retail stores CANNOT raise the prices to what people are actually willing to pay (check ebay) because they face the possibility of retaliation in the form of not having their stock replenished. So the only way they can actually BENEFIT by selling systems is if they also sell games (which also have a very low profit margin) and better, accessories.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been working for eb games for 4 years and I have stoped getting involved in these topics. Honestly its really all a matter of which EB you go to. I know when people are dealing with me or most of the employees at my EB they leave with a good experience and usually money saved and all this other crap.

But thats not like that everywhere.

What should of happened is this ... if they called you and you told them that you couldn't pick it up in 48 hrs they should of rung it out and just placed it in the hold bin with the pick up recipt that you have to sign. Then it would of been out of there inventory.

Thats what we do in most cases like this...unless we know we wont sell out of the game.

Whatever...I don't like getting involved in these topics because I can't speak for other EB's.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I stopped going there for years now.

I don't want a "new" game to put into some ziplock bag, and then taken out by the cashier, touching the playside of the disc with all his fingers, THEN dropping it on the floor, accident or not, then, putting it back into the case, and selling it to me.

Fuck all that.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just one thing, Devil's advocate. I alluded to differences in entertainment electronics and other retail businesses but didn't specify.

What I'm getting at precisely is that the large majority of other retail businesses do not have to deal with massive rushes and shortages on the day of the release of a product. People don't rush to the store when the 2006 line of men's ties comes out. They may occassionaly face shortages, but rarely immediately after release and usually only during the holiday season.

I had another question, you mentioned hearing about horrible practices with the recent Xbox 360 launch. Are you alluding to forced bundles? If you are, read on, if not, feel free to skip this.

Retail stores make almost NO profit on the sale of a system itself. The manufacturer's actually LOSE money on it. Also, because of the manufacturer's strict rules on pricing, we are not allowed to let the free market dictate the price. Retail stores CANNOT raise the prices to what people are actually willing to pay (check ebay) because they face the possibility of retaliation in the form of not having their stock replenished. So the only way they can actually BENEFIT by selling systems is if they also sell games (which also have a very low profit margin) and better, accessories.
    Lots of other industries deal with major backorders and short supply. You just notice yours, because your in the midst of it. Just one example would be car dealerships. When my wife bought her Honda Del Sol some years ago, we had to wait almost four months for it. Why? High demand, low quantity. If I want that Civic SI, it's probably on the lot, but if I want that S2000, I'll probably be waiting.
    Toy stores go through it yearly, with various "hot" items, which is exactly what the 360 is this year. Though the time of year would have an effect there.
    So, while the launches may be a unique shortage, ao are the ones other retailers go through. No less trying on the staff, and certainly the end user, the customer.

I'll have to admit to not buying anything NEW or pre ordering anything from EB, so I don't know what their situation is, but; The stores I have shopped at this year only ever seemed to have Xbox 360 shortages, and maybe the DS for a few days. Lots of PSP's to be had, and I've certainly never had any difficulty getting any major release game I've wanted.... Save for Snes Street fighter II about 10-15 years ago. I've had to go to Microplay for my Megaten games, but it seems major retailers don't carry many Atlus games.

Part II;

While I wasn't commenting on any retailers "bundling" policies at all, the only thing I would say is that it's perfectly legal to do this. But the ethical side may be touchier. We've seen all over the net what people think of the "ethics" behind forced bundles.

What I was commenting more on, was the amount of pre orders that have gone unfulfilled from EB/Gamespot. I keep hearing of people who pre ordered in may and June, whom have still not received their systems. Now, if that was par for the course, then it would be unimportant. But, I pre ordered mine From Future Shop Canada (owned by BestBuy) on September 21st. I received mine on launch. Why? because a multi million dollar retailer decide that it was best to highly limit preorders. They only started them on sept 20th,and limited them to 50. Why? their projected allotments were higher. They were trimmed to 24 units a wek before launch. But they have already filled their remaining 26 because they kept their numbers down. Just in case.

Now my local Eb's on the other hand, of which 2 are located within a few stores of my own, were quite interested in telling me how many pre orders they had "accomplished". One store was 150, and the other almost 200!

EB upper management must have been smoking wacky tobaccy to think they would fulfill that on a launch, even for friggin Bic pens! So now, when they received their 24 or whatever, (or even 2 or 100, it doesn't matter) they left a large portion of people without.

Compare the two retailers. Who will have an easier time fulfilling their pre orders? The store that only slightly oversold and under delivered, or the store that MAJORLY oversold and under delivered.

Which retailer is likely to have more complaints? Simple isn't it?

Which brings me full circle to another post I made. It's not the employees of EB's fault, and their management hung them out to dry not once, but twice. Once for allowing such an obvious cash grab, and the other for not HELPING their front line staff in every conceivable way when the plan went ass backwards on them. Again, mid-upper managements fault. Not the store manager or any of the glorified key holders and such. Eb hung their employees and customers out to dry, regardless of any shortages from MS.

As for the little or no profit on hardware? I won't comment much further than saying it is called a subsidized product, and many other industries do it daily. It's part of furthering your business, and in many cases, part of your business model. Do you really think that "free" cell phone is free? Or do you think somebody "subsidizes" it, somewhere along the way. Same philosophy exactly. Give away your wares to force the purchases afterwards.

IE MS loses $127(Or about?) on each box. Retailers also put little or no margin. But hopefully everbody makes up for it with (as you mentioned) add ons, be it games controllers whatever.

A cell phone company "give away" the harware, which may cost up to 300 bucks, because usually you get a term contract with guaranteed residuals.

Now.. Gotta go! Or I'll be unemployed!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

Quote Originally Posted by Zing
    Wow. That is all I can say. That is, by far, one of the worst policies I have heard of. That is right up there with the forced bundles of the 360.

I gave up on EB and here is my little story why. I had $40 in gift certificates. While I was browsing the Xbox games, I heard the boss telling the two associates that they really needed to push the used game sales. I finally decided to get Mechassault, which was selling for $39.95. The guy helping me kept pressuring me to buy the used copy for $5 less. I explained that the $5 meant nothing to me and I wanted a brand new copy. He continued stalling and trying to convince me to buy used, but I refused. I get home with me "new" copy of Mechassault and find that it was a goddamn reseal.
    , sorry but that is just funny.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i like ebgames they are my friends

i want all my new games to be open then put into a ziplock bagg rubbed on the carpetand passed around like a frisby before i pay fullprice for it
    why doesnt wal-mart have this policy
    like myvery good friend at eb told me its still new
    redrum
    Redrumredrumredrum