Thread: Bad EBGames policy, watch out.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evilsaber2922
    i like ebgames they are my friends

i want all my new games to be open then put into a ziplock bagg rubbed on the carpetand passed around like a frisby before i pay fullprice for it
    why doesnt wal-mart have this policy
    like myvery good friend at eb told me its still new
    redrum
    The reason that Walmart doesn't have this policy is because all of the games are locked behind glass. EBGames takes 1 new copy of each game, opens it to remove the disc, and places it on the wall so you can easily look at the back of the game to read the description and details and even look at the instruction manual to decide if you want the game or if you would like the gameplay without ever needing to get an associate. You are free to look at games at your leisure and not have someone breathing down your neck waiting for you to hand the game back so they can lock it back up.

Personally, I prefer EBs way of doing it. I'm fine with the slight chance of getting an opened new game for the ease of browsing.

You guys are also making gross generalizations. While occasionally one of these games are a bit scuffed, more often than not the game is in pristine condition and most people (i.e., non-collectors) are perfectly fine getting that copy. The store also sells this opened new copy absolutely last so only one copy has to be this way (I've seen a guy get in trouble for almost selling the display copy instead of a sealed one).

If you don't want the opened copy, all you have to do is say so. In all my experiences, they were happy to call and check at other stores for me for whatever I needed.

And as for the used games, I'm sure it's been stated, but that's where the game stores make their money. Of course they are going to push it.

Quote Originally Posted by devils advocate
    Compare the two retailers. Who will have an easier time fulfilling their pre orders? The store that only slightly oversold and under delivered, or the store that MAJORLY oversold and under delivered.

Which retailer is likely to have more complaints? Simple isn't it?
    Ah yes. But, you're forgetting one thing. When the next shipments on 360s come in, the people on the preorder list, no matter how long it is, will get their systems. Before any unit gets put out on the floor for general sale, ALL the preorders will be fullfilled.

So sure, EB may have taken a large number of preorders, but these people are in no way screwed. They don't have to wait outside in line for over 24 hours at BestBuy to get their system when a new shipment arrives. They will get theirs in the order it was reserved.

And yes, I know you mentioned the whole MS delay/shortage thing, but you really didn't do it justice. The fact that enough units were not shipped to fullfill the preorders is not EB's or Best Buy's or anyone else's fault except Microsoft. If I was told that I was getting X number of units in, you can bet that I would try to get that many preorders. It only makes sense, as the people preordering would most likely be the same people dropping money right away on games and other things too.

Anyways, I'm tired of people always bashing EB or any other game store honestly. Sure, everyone is bound to have a bad day at a store once in a while, but it's the same for any other store as well, be it department stores or restaurants or what not. The people who work at them are human.

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here is a little tidbit of information I'd like to pass along...

If after 90 days a pre-order is not claimed, Eb instructs its management to clear the pre-orders out of the system thus pocketing thousands in unclaimed deposits. NO ATTEMPT IS GENERALLY MADE TO CALL OR NOTIFY THESE PEOPLE (as it is assumed they have already been notified-which we all know does not frequently happen). Personally at a high volume store, hundreds even thousands of dollars is made this way.

Also in many states, if the stores policy is not posted in the store, it is irrelevant what it says on the receipt. Check out your local consumer laws and you can have a field day with these companies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dreams is the only one that makes sense in this tread.

If after 90 days a pre-order is not claimed, Eb instructs its management to clear the pre-orders out of the system thus pocketing thousands in unclaimed deposits. NO ATTEMPT IS GENERALLY MADE TO CALL OR NOTIFY THESE PEOPLE (as it is assumed they have already been notified-which we all know does not frequently happen). Personally at a high volume store, hundreds even thousands of dollars is made this way.
    Im sorry but thats gamestop. EB keeps there pre-orders for over a year, maybe two at that. I still have pre-orders for halo 2 in my computer and GTA san-andreas. What are they suppose to do with the money anyways? If someone changes there phone # and they forget they have a pre-order there is no way we can get in touch with them. Simple as that.

Also in many states, if the stores policy is not posted in the store, it is irrelevant what it says on the receipt. Check out your local consumer laws and you can have a field day with these companies.
    At most eb's its right on the counter under a piece of glass.

Grow up..

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Darren870
    Dreams is the only one that makes sense in this tread.

Im sorry but thats gamestop. EB keeps there pre-orders for over a year, maybe two at that. I still have pre-orders for halo 2 in my computer and GTA san-andreas. What are they suppose to do with the money anyways? If someone changes there phone # and they forget they have a pre-order there is no way we can get in touch with them. Simple as that.

At most eb's its right on the counter under a piece of glass.

Grow up..
    Please go and ask a regional, DM, or manager before making statements like this as this was not some immature misdirected piece of information. If your pre-orders have not been removed, your manager has not been doing his job as this task comes out in a directive generally every quarter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's about TWICE a year, not quarterly, and it's removing preorders that are over 6 months old. That's directly per my RM.

Also, it benefits a store more to call and get those preorders to either come pick up their game or (much more likely) transfer the preorder to something else they are interested in or use the money to buy something else. We'd much rather ring up a sale of a full game than add a measly $5.

Devils, I like your posts a lot. I want to correct one misconception I think you may have. You say that EB oversold their preorders and thus weren't able to meet their orders on launch day.

This ignores one critical fact- it is policy to presell systems above and beyond your initial allotment, AS LONG AS YOU NOTIFY THE CUSTOMER that they won't be getting one on launch day. For example, our store initially had an allotment of 17 Xbox 360s. We presold those quite quickly, and then sold another 10 or so to people who were willing to be on the second shipment list. Eventually our allotment rose to 29, so all those 10 people were called and told they would get one on launch. And slowly, more people preordered the systems for the second shipment. (which we always told people we didn't know exactly when it would be). This happened in a few cycles, and then shortly before launch, our allotment was cut. Insider rumor had it there was a large recall of defective systems. But still, most of the people we had to call and tell they wouldn't get a launch day system had originally expected that, and only a few took their deposits back.

Also want to say that auto and toy retail still have a major difference- toy stores only see that during the holiday season, and auto dealers, while they may experience shortages anytime of year, they don't get a mad rush the day a new model is delivered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Please go and ask a regional, DM, or manager before making statements like this as this was not some immature misdirected piece of information. If your pre-orders have not been removed, your manager has not been doing his job as this task comes out in a directive generally every quarter.
    You are wrong simply put. My manager is one of the most respected in the region for his store is ranked #9 in the country.

Its not quarterly and depending on the title its not even every 6 months. That has always been gamestop not EB games. This has been brought up on many, many confrence calls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This ignores one critical fact- it is policy to presell systems above and beyond your initial allotment, AS LONG AS YOU NOTIFY THE CUSTOMER that they won't be getting one on launch day. For example, our store initially had an allotment of 17 Xbox 360s. We presold those quite quickly, and then sold another 10 or so to people who were willing to be on the second shipment list. Eventually our allotment rose to 29, so all those 10 people were called and told they would get one on launch. And slowly, more people preordered the systems for the second shipment. (which we always told people we didn't know exactly when it would be). This happened in a few cycles, and then shortly before launch, our allotment was cut. Insider rumor had it there was a large recall of defective systems. But still, most of the people we had to call and tell they wouldn't get a launch day system had originally expected that, and only a few took their deposits back.
    We were supposed to get 110 but we got cut down to 46 like 3 weeks before. Our DM told us we should see shipments every week though, that never happened. The recalls though, who really knows. That could still be a rumor, I have yet to hear any official word on that.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This whole thing has become absolutly hilarious. Because I have a problem with EBGames all of a sudden I'm some yelling, screaming, dickheaded, corporation hating hippie street trash.

The bottom line is I AM the customer. I am NOT happy. Plus I have a valid reason for not being happy. Therefore something IS wrong with the company or their practices.

I've worked customer service before, and the customers are definatly not always right. However, if one said "hey, help me find this item and whistle yankee doodle while you do it" then I'd do it to keep them happy even though the stores policy didn't state that I had to whistle. The main focus is the CUSTOMER.

The customers don't care that its soooooo stressfull to keep the game on a shelf for more than 48 hours. We don't care to become a stat in your computer as a new release sale. We typically DO care to keep stores we like in business and we want to see stores that shaft us fail. If they called and said "hey bud, we really need you to pick this up today, it would help us out greatly" I woulda been there asap. No fuss no mess. They could atleast have tried to work up a deal and not tell me that I MUST pick it up within the next 24 hours or its gone. That floats like a turd in a punch bowl with me.

And don't try to throw in "oh, but what if its there for a million billion years and they have to pay inventory taxes on it, there has to be a line somewhere!" Sure, there has to be a line somewhere, but obviously NOT 2 days with no warning! In fact, I would have been content with 2 days IF I WERE TOLD AHEAD OF TIME.

Hey Devil, wanna come be a manager down here? I'd buy form your store. Hell, if you weren't in Canada I'd probably consider mail ordering from you. I just want to find somewhere that cares about customers.

*Off Topic* Every XBox360 pre-order I've seen through EBGames the sales people explained that yes they were reserving an xBox however its unlikely that they would have one from the first batch. Up front and honest. Too bad they didn't tell them "if it comes out monday and you work during store hours untill saturday then your xbox360 will be sold".
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka