Thread: Classic vs. Classic?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Classic vs. Classic?

I admit, I'm new here, but I find one bit of setup as far as the forums go, a little bit "eh".

Classic Gaming is described as a forum for anything predating the Sony PlayStation 2. Basically, anything from Generation 5 (N64, PSX, DC) and before.

Perhaps it may be wiser to split this (fairly sizeable - 30ish years of video games) into two smaller groups: Classic Sprite games and Classic 3D games. The former goes from the "dawn of video games" all the way up to the mid-1990s, and the latter goes from there to the almost-present (which is covered by the Modern Gaming section (which could be for current and next-gen systems).

Obviously it's not like what I say matters strongly for any particular reason, and I certainly wouldn't want to impose on the administration of this site, it's just a suggestion of sorts for a cleaner "split".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    zebrassss

I know you are new, but there was already a thread about this when the two forums split up (Classic and Modern were together not too long ago)

I think it's fine the way it is....

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*expected some kind of head-to-head matchup type game

Hmmm, maybe time for a field of 64 or something...
    It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, it used to all be together, one 'Video Gaming' forumns. It has been split in half now, and it was fine as it was, so it is fine as it is. If we keep splitting we would eentualy have seprate forumns for generation, then bittage, success systems and others for the bittage sections, and eventualy sections for each system, and the we break the systems up into game genera, and then God knows how far we could and would take it. Leave it as it is. I myself really liked it how it was and am OK with it now, but if it splits any more, dude, too much splitting x_x .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by davepesc
    *expected some kind of head-to-head matchup type game
    Likewise.

Hey, we're all friends here. No problem with the setup, and I feel it's giving me twice the topics to look into.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know about the twice amount of threads. I feel more-so as though there are fewer posts frequently. Not to mention if it were broken up more, then fewer people will post in different areas. The reason it was busier before was because people just into modern things would read and respond to more classic games, and back forth. Oh well. It'll be fine this way and the more posters the better.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor
    I don't know about the twice amount of threads. I feel more-so as though there are fewer posts frequently.
    Well, no, I haven't commissioned an independent study, but it most likely is less than exactly twice the number of threads being created in the same time period. What I mean is that between the two forums you can easily see two times as many active topics on different subjects. Nifty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe it should've been Cart based home console's and Pre-32bit PC Software and down? or something :/

It does feel kinda strange talking about PSX and Dreamcast in a Classic forum though? Too me anyway's. because you can still play PSX on a PS2.

It's all good the way it is, I can live with it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like too much the new kind of forum (classic and modern), a few months ago, this was a disaster...a true mess. Well...welcome to the forum...

Matías

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's allready enough threads to fullfill anybodys deepest sexual fantasies I think. Although I do find it hard to see PS1 as 'classic', thats just the way its going to be.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, k. I was unaware that there was a recent split from one forum. Probably should have asked those who'd been here a while that I talk to whether that was already a "big thing" or something.

Sorry about that ^__^;;

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Welcome aboard! So many of the topics in "classic gaming" seem to cross many platforms and eras already, that breaking it down further would just create more confusion on where to post something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, you're either a lumper or a splitter.

Everytime I log on to the boards here, I'm pleased with the choice to split the VG forum. I had almost stopped checking it because the topics were too varied and moved way too fast down the 1st page. I never check the 2nd page.

We could split everything up and have a separate board for RCA Studio II and a separate board for Video Brain users, like Atari Age does for just Atari stuff. It works for them. I don't like that idea for DP. I think that the spirit of DP is more convergence of interactive entertainment and maintaining perspective than divergence (thus my distaste of the Nintendophiles and Playstationites who think everyone else is just crap.)

I think this has been a great way to go. Basically it's just current gen systems and previous gen systems. Simple.

I guess I would like to split the boards into a 17 and under area. Even being a dad hasn't improved my appreciation of the teens and tweens posting. Let the age-ism flames begin kiddies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

If we asked 100 different users we'd get 100 different opinions on how to split/not split the forums. The eventual split point was picked so that current/next-gen systems would be in one area, and everything older than that would be in the other.